How does Amazon stand to gain with the new changes on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. TinaAtHome profile image66
    TinaAtHomeposted 12 years ago

I can fully see how HubPages stands to gain from the new changes in how Amazon earnings will be paid, but my question is, how will Amazon gain?

Let me see:

Lots of people who would have been paid at a lower percentage rate will now be paid at a higher rate for every item they earn.

For the people who earn some money, but don't make the minimum payment threshold of $10 for US and $100 for overseas, that money will be paid in full every month to HubPages.

This is a huge gain for HubPages, but I'm puzzled as to why Amazon agreed to pay out more in total and more sooner. Am I missing something?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a puzzle, isn't it?

I'm with you - Amazon looks to lose a good bit here.

HP won't actually earn any more - they have to always be top tier anyway.  They [i]do[i] get to float the money for a few days, and get the dubious pleasure of taking care of the bookkeeping and tax reporting.  They also get to pay any paypal fees.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What Hubpages stands to gain is that an extra percentage to them means a lot more than us. They are trying to get premium advertiser rates (Which is in itself not a bad idea, many affiliates barter for better commission) in certain product areas.

For instance someone making $10 a month, or even $100 a month will only see a small increase, however Hubpages makes a huge amount every month, so even just an additional 1% to their commission structure could make a huge difference.

How could Amazon benefit from this?

Either Hubpages is using us as leverage (Ie. give us better terms or we take our sales elsewhere.)

Or they have offered to invest in advertising methods for other Amazon platforms, including Amazon's clothing lines or their international operations.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But how can HP get into a higher tier?  They already have their code on 40% of the total sales - surely they are already maxed out.  Unless, as you say, they are trying to negotiate something beyond the tiers offered us hubbers.

I DO think we hubbers are a lever being used by HP, but don't what that lever is doing, and probably never will.

1. 2uesday profile image65
            2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When they get sales through someone who is on a lower tier do HubPages currently get the same % as the Hubber or at their(HubPages) higher rate?

If they are getting it at the lower tier, then after the change maybe all of HubPages sales will be in the higher category. Not sure how it works for them at the moment.

Or is the change a way of keeping things moving if legislation about internet selling changes? If it is that, surely with people from different areas earning as it is now it is spreading the risk but  once the HubPages one big account comes in will all be thro' the one account and if it gets 'hit' then what.

Maybe I have not grasped this right, bit early in the day here in the UK.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess that Amazon gain by not losing affiliates in states that 'change' the law - think of all the money they had to spend to get the recent law changed - they won't want to do that in all other states.....that's one business reason  I can think of.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since these affiliate partners are paying Hubpages based on sales, it actually means everyone on Hubpages stands to lose their affiliate earnings from Amazon rather than just the people living in affected states (I would presume) since if Amazons payments to Hubpages are based on sales worth they would be covered by the nexus tax laws. 

Whether or not it will come to that is a different thing, but Amazon is not going to pay tax on all sales to one state just for Hubpages.

Maybe Amazon could pay Hubpages a monthly fee and Hubpages could distribute sales based earnings to hubbers, but that stinks of tax evasion and probably wouldn't work out too well either.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amazon will no longer have to track the accounts of all the HubPages site users nor manage their payouts.  All that work just got passed on to HubPages.  On their end instead of dealing with hundreds of thousands of clients, they've now just got one.

2. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Hubpages would always have been in he highest tier. It would be nearly impossible to not reach it with 40% of all the content on this site.

When the forced change occurs we will all be serfs/ sub-affs of HubPages, using tracking ids that HP generates under their account.

I would agree with Relache .. Amazon will no longer have to deal with reg/tax/payment for thousands of users and only have to admin the single HP account.

I would expect HP worked out some ironclad deal ... otherwise it could really suck if the amazon/cali deal fell through or changed in such a manner that Amazon decided to cut all cali affs again.

HP is in CA ..,,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)