Your advice will be highly appreciated - combining hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hello hubbers. I have three related hubs, parts 1 to 3. Part 3 is the one getting most of the traffic. Part 2 hardly get's any at all even though they are linked. The word count when combined would be 2873 but given that it's a travel hub with lots of info I was wondering if I should just combine them and make one hub.

Also I am not sure how to do it. Should I delete the other two and wait a while before adding them?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, I think you should leave them "as is".  Take a look at the stats for Part 3 and see what keywords people are using to find that Hub - do you have those keywords in the other two parts?

I think it would be worth changing the titles so each one reflects what that Hub is about.  Google doesn't like blog posts or Hubs that have almost the same title, so it may be ignoring the other two.  A good title gives each Hub a chance to succeed on its own as well as in the series.

I would also make your "read more" capsule highlighted.  You've currently got a highlighted box with a list of things to do, that doesn't really say much.  Put your links to the other two Hubs there instead. 

Finally, off topic - you're overdoing linking to other Hubs (not your own).  The first thing that hit me when I opened Part 3 was the three blue links in the first couple of paras - inviting readers to click away from your Hub before they've even noticed your ads.  You're losing income that way.  Also bear in mind, people don't like being directed somewhere that isn't truly relevant ("budget" for instance).

Personally, I don't link to other people's Hubs unless they truly add value to my topic, or say something better than I can.  And I would never link to a category - that's not helping the reader refine their search, it's sending them back to the beginning. 

I hope you're not linking for the sake of Hub Karma - you should know Hub Karma does nothing to help your earnings and in fact can be damaging, because you're sending traffic away from your own Hubs, and increasing the potential for broken links (because people unpublish Hubs all the time) - and broken links count against you with Google.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thank you! I had linked them with the hub Karma thing and had neglected to unlink them after being told the the hub karma was crap...lol

Thank you so much for your advice...will be copying this to make sure I don't miss any of your instructions.

I was wondering if changing the title would affect the URL? Does it matter that the URL will be different?

You're welcome.  Actually one of my websites got Panda'd and the only possible reason I could find was similar titles. I had several 'series' type posts - how to fit pointe shoes #1, how to fit pointe shoes #2 etc.  I combined some of them into one and varied the titles on others and lo and behold, at the next Panda update, my traffic came back.  So I'm almost paranoid about making my titles different now!

I had no idea. I really want to thank you. Already worked on the titles using the suggested keywords. I will unlink the hub karma stuff next then make sure my links are highlighted. smile

Marisa, I wan to thank you again. I made a few changes yesterday and I see all double red triangles today! I have a little more tweaking to do but thanks again so much for your help.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
                lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa is it the traffic from your third part that is flowing to the others or are you already seeing improvements with the search engine traffic? Both ways its great and congrats -I'm just curious big_smile

1. profile image0
                  Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing, and I have learned something new if that is external.

Haha

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Keep them as is. Learn to promote them better. Do not rely primarily on the links to generate traffic for the weaker hubs.

Thanks WE, I have been learning to let each hub stand on it's own. I will find more ways to promote them.

3. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

@ Brandon, they sent me an email sometime ago about doing that but can't figure out how to do it. I tried to add HTML my blog but it didn't work. I know I can add ads to the Wordpress website (Wordpress.org).

Someone told me how to do it the other day so I must go back and find that forum post.

I tried adding HTML in the page as well as an HTML widget it didn't work. If at all you get the forum post let me know. I have a xxx.wordpress.com site not .org

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Running AdSense in text/HTML widgets on Wordpress.org blogs is a common method. The ads may not run immediately. Apparently, third party advertising like AdSense is restricted on Wordpress.com.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/advertising/

I see. I thought that that they were suggesting the blog since I have a blog there.

Are you on Blogger or Wordpress.com?

Both. I got one of those emails telling me that advertising is now available on WordPress but I forgot the I had also signed up and uploaded WordPress.org to Godaddy.

I just had a look and Wordpress.com is now offering members the chance to earn income from their own earning program, a bit like HPAds - but only if you have a custom domain name attached to your blog.  Was that the email you got?

http://en.wordpress.com/apply-for-wordads/

For the wordpress.org blog, you have an almost infinite range of possibilities!  If you haven't already signed up with a few affiliate programs, I think Skimlinks is worth a look - they take a cut of your earnings but they make things an awful lot simpler, so I feel it's worth it.  I wrote a Hub about it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Advertising is not allowed on a Wordpress.com blog.

On Blogger, you need to add a text/HTML gadget, then you can paste the code you're given by the advertiser.

I have ads on my blogs but was just wondering about wordpress if they made changes big_smile
          No changes then, thanks everyone cool

4. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

Okay, off to check out the Skimlinks hub Marisa, as ive never heard of it. Thanks for this new info.

In a nutshell, Skimlinks gives you access to all the various affiliate networks in one place, without having to apply individually to any networks or any merchants, so you can get started more quickly.

Once you're a member, if you have a Blogger or Wordpress blog you don't need to learn about how to create affiliate links.  You just add their script or plugin to your site, then create ordinary hyperlinks to products, and Skimlinks turns them into affiliate links automatically. 

Plus, instead of having small amounts of money sitting with several networks, you receive all the money in one Skimlinks account which means you reach payout faster.  Of course there's a catch, because they take a big cut of your earnings - but you have to consider what your time is worth.

My affiliate link is at the end of the Hub if you'd like to join. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)