I'll Tell You Two Things You Can Change To Improve Your Hub/s

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 97 discussions (424 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I'm bored. Ok correction, I'm procrastinating. I randomly come on and off the forums and on this return visit I've seen SO many people questioning why their hubs aren't making money and/or getting traffic.

So for as long I'm having fun, feel free to post below (either for your whole account or one hub) and I'll tell you at least two improvements you can make.

Disclaimer: This is just for fun. Well, fun for me. I don't take responsibility for anyone being insulted by my advice, misuse of my advice or anything else! wink

1. sleepylog profile image60
      sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm good for it, pick out what you think are my worst hubs and give me some advice for improving them smile

WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have some AWESOME photos!

1. Start adding the title of your photo to your photo so it's more likely to go viral on Pinterest AND stop it getting stolen.
        2. Right align more images, videos, poll capsules and adverts so text can continue unbroken on the left.

1. sleepylog profile image60
          sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt smile I love taking photos and try to use my own for most of my hubs. For answer 1. did you mean to say 'start adding the title of your hub to your photo?' that would make more sense to me and yes I will do that. I'll also try to follow your advice in number 2.
          Thanks again for taking the time to review my hubs for me, you're a gem smile

Oops yes, typo! That's what I meant smile

2. profile image0
            cartondamageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you seriously here just to help people?  I am impressed and awestruck.  I love to write, but my life is so full I barely have time to jump on here to look but maybe once a week.  I would like to get some feedback on my hubs, particularly the one on smoking.  Thank you for all the advice you've given to others, it is so nice to find someone willing to do that.  God Bless.

smile Well sometimes I get bored trolling idiots posting hoaxes on Facebook so I thought I should do something useful with my life.

1. Topics are very broad. Why would Google choose to send traffic to your hub on smoking deaths over the thousands of dedicated websites and news articles on the topic?
              2. Hubs are too short, too much uninterrupted text, or purely personal/creative. All of which will stop you making money or getting traffic.

2. vistastores profile image61
              vistastoresposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with cartondamage. That it is so HARD & nice to find someone willing to do this type of activity.  :-) Thanks For Serving Other Users in this manners.

2. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did one photo and am too lazy to do any more tongue

LOL!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought we weren't supposed to do that because of the "mobile friendly" thing.  What's the deal on that...this gets confusing!

1. SheilaMilne profile image93
            SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That was posted two years ago smile

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
              Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I try to avoid right aligning anything because of the mobile update; I think that's what you're supposed to do now.

2. Sheri Faye profile image79
      Sheri Fayeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I bet you are going to be swamped posting this,but being new I would appreciate your advice.Thanks in advance.

1. Many of your hub topics are quite broad; they would be competing with hundreds of other better known writers and how-to, wiki and brand sites. You need to narrow down your niches: for instance instead of "Interviewing Applicants For A Job: Tips On Finding Out What They Don't Want You To Know", something like "How to answer the dreaded interview question: Where do you plan to be in 5 years" (example only, I have no idea if that particular topic is widely searched, but it's more specific and would have smaller competition.)
        2. Lots of "white holes". Write more content to fill these spaces or move capsules around.  Some images also don't have proper attribution; you do realise that images are copyright UNLESS stated otherwise and you can't use them unless you attribute correctly?

3. Ceres Schwarz profile image37
      Ceres Schwarzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello. I just joined a few days ago but I already have some hubs posted. I would really appreciate some advice, feedback and constructive criticism on my hubs including how to get more traffic. I want to improve and do better. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help people improve their hubs.

Great length, good content. However it generally takes at least the first six months to start seeing a good return - so you may be onto some winners but just not have the traffic yet.

1. Lots of white spaces appear in your hubs. Make sure you check after publishing as adverts can push capsules out of wack.
        2. If (not straight away but once it's had time to mature) your hubs aren't getting traffic, you might try selling the reason instead of the review. Currently you're reviewing or giving instructions for things. You'll likely be in competition with lots of other sites. So instead, for example:
        "How to use Revo Uninstaller to Uninstall Programs from your Computer?" could become
        "How to make sure programs are completely removed from my operating system/windows 8 (or whatever else you think is a good niche.)"

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image37

Thank you for your feedback. It's much appreciated. Looks like I have to wait a few more months then. In the meantime, I'd better check those white spaces you mentioned and write more hubs.

4. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If it's not too late - I'd love to have your opinion of my Hubs. I've never really mastered the "driving traffic" to my articles thing. I'd love any advice on how to make my Hubs better.

Great use of capsules! You have a great range of polls, videos and photos.

1. Some of your topics are very saturated. For instance Raspberry Ketones are as bad as Acai Berries - everyone and their mum is on the bandwagon trying to make thousands off the latest fad. Don't follow the craze - find something unique and different!
        2. You've got white spaces and unused spaces in many areas on your hubs. Put poll capsules to the right to avoid breaking up text. Add more text where needed, and make sure you delete any white space left at the end of text capsules!

1. profile image0
          HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. I will implement all of your suggestions!

5. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some critique would be great if you find your hands and mind unoccupied for a few minutes Wryllit - look forward to hearing your comments.

1. Too many dot points! Save dot points and number lists for very important points. Generally one list per hub is enough. If there aren't too many steps, make a separate subtitled text box for each step.
        2. Many things are full width. Move polls and some images over to the right so you get a clear continuous run of text down the left side. Only make important and attention grabbing pieces full width.

1. sallybea profile image96
          sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, I will check these point out, hank you very much WryLilt

6. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this offer is just amazing! I've read your suggestions and think you have a great sense for what a good hub is. It seems harder to me to judge my own stuff, so I am always up for hearing how to improve. I will completely understand if you are out of time for all of us!

1. Some of your hubs titles/topics are a little too broad. However you have some great specific topics like "Harmless Pranks to Pull on Honeymooners", "Creative Ways to Handle Sibling Rivalry". Try and cut down anything too wide and go for a specific section of the topic - think about what people WON'T be able to find more information on via Google and write about it.
        2. Lots of white spaces like you've pressed the enter key too much. Remove the white spaces. And add more images, polls, videos etc along the side of the hub to keep reader attention!

1. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
          ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!! White spaces I can easily take care of. I'll work on coming up with more specific titles. I appreciate you!

7. Li Galo profile image73
      Li Galoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would love your input.  Please ignore any non-travel related hubs as I am in the process of moving them to another place online.  I've been reworking old hubs (a year old) so I'm really more interested in feedback on the hubs within the last six months where I "did my best" and don't know what else I could do to make those better.  I see improving traffic but it's still about $4 a month (sad face). Thanks so much!

1. Right align videos and images so you have a continued flow of text on the left.
        2. The top right of your hub is prime real estate. Make sure there is an advert, an eBay/Amazon commission box there or a Made For Pinterest image.

1. Li Galo profile image73

Thanks so much!

8. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://sunilkunnoth2012.hubpages.com/hu … ld-Malabar

Please give me a review on the above hub.

1. Cut out all use of "bold" text. Align images to the right.
        2. Turn the "attractions" list into an actual list using numbers or dot points.

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
          sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much and I shall do so as you advised.

9. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please give me a good review on the following hub too:  http://sunilkunnoth2012.hubpages.com/hu … Keraliites

The top right of your hub is prime real estate. Make sure there is an advert, an eBay/Amazon commission box there or a Made For Pinterest image.

10. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is Friday night. Although you started this thread several days ago, I was not bored. At the moment I am.
      My hubs usually do okay through Pinterest and I guess I do not have much to complain about because most of my traffic is through Google.
      Your articles do better, however. I am wondering if it is because you have keywords that draw more searchers, your hubs are placed higher because you have been writing longer, or if there is some magic formula that will bump me up to where I want to be? (I would like to make it to 1 million before I hit 2 years. I still have a long way to go.)
      Be critical. Be very, very critical. I can take it, and if I get really hurt and frustrated I can always kick my dog. (She is sleeping at my feet. How convenient.)

Good job with following the dog topic... there's a good indication that sticking to one topic, even on Hubpages, will help Google see you as an authority on it. Your titles are great and to the point. You're doing a good job interlinking your own content to keep traffic on your own articles.

1. Top right is prime real estate. Use it! Whether it's adverts, Amazon or a made for Pinterest image.
        2. White spaces, for instance at the bottom of this hub: http://drmark1961.hubpages.com/hub/how- … aggressive
        Also, right align images and videos unless they are really important and eye catching.

Also, did you know that by putting your referral tracker into your links you can show visitors adverts on OTHER parts of the site, even if they're not yours?

More info here: http://darkside.hubpages.com/hub/Referrals

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know you have heard this countless times during this thread, but I just want to be one of those also thanking you for giving us some helpful advice. A lot of times it is the hubbers that are "less than successful" contributing to the forums and I am reluctant to follow their advice. When it is you or Marisa I know I should be listening.
          My dog thanks you too!

11. Amanda Gearing profile image70
      Amanda Gearingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Susannah
      You have been a fabulous tutor so far. I'd love you to look over some of my hubs and let me know how they could be improved.
      Amanda

Hi Amanda,

1. You could add in some videos to your hubs. Google notes how long people stay on your hubs, and videos are a way to keep them there longer.
        2. Only link to other people or sites when absolutely necessary. For instance in "King's College Cambridge" you link straight out to the official website. Why should people read your hub if you're linking them straight to the site? You can move it into a "links" capsule and add it at the end of the hub so if they want further reading they can still find it.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to add videos but became nervous about doing so due to copywrite infringement issues.  Can  you  tell me the safest, best way to add videos?

There is no copyright issue if you use the video embed capsule. Every video links back to where it came from (Youtube for instance.) If people don't want their video shared outside the site, they'll turn the option off and you'll get an error message when trying to embed it. People WANT their videos shared because it makes them more money and gets them more views.

Think of embedding a video the same as someone linking to your hub.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image37

Thanks for this information. Actually, I was just wondering about having videos on hubs. And I wondered about how the copyright would work for that so thanks for clarifying things.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is really interesting.  I used to think that was the case, but then I read the You Tube guidelines and they didn't seem to agree.  I got nervous and removed ALL of my videos...which killed me because they really added to my hubs.  Please tell me you are positive you are correct about this and also tell me where I can see that written in black and white.  I need real assurance on this one.  What you said makes a lot of sense, but yet.....

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wrylilt is right.  Stop worrying.  Given how careful HubPages is about everything else, do you really think they'd let you embed videos if it wasn't legal???

WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

Youtube terms of service.

Extract, emphasis added by me.

4. General Use of the Service—Permissions and Restrictions

YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:

You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Service or the Content without YouTube's prior written authorization, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the Embeddable Player).
                  You agree not to alter or modify any part of the Service.
                  You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

Wry Litt:  Well knock me over with a feather!  Really?  I read the TOS quite awhile ago and NEVER saw this...I think they must have added it later because all I ever saw were warnings about contacting people personally for their permission to use, etc.  You have done a VERY good thing with this today and I am most grateful!  Thank you so much.

12. B. Leekley profile image86
      B. Leekleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WryLit, I'm learning a lot from this forum topic. Thanks for being so helpful to fellow hubbers. I have been writing hubs for a year and a half, since 11/11, and still have not made any money or gotten much of any traffic, even though I do my best to follow the staff hubs advice. What seem to you to be my biggest flaws of commission or omission? On the matter of what links to include or exclude, have I been wrong about linking to other hubbers' hubs as much as possible (if relevant), with the code that points back to me?

Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you say you "have not made any money", have you confirmed that your Adsense code is correctly entered, that you can log into your Adsense account and there are no problems with it, and that you're signed up for the HP Earnings Program?

+1

B. Leekley, I think the first thing you need to do is read this hub by Cardisa on SEO for Creative Writing.

1. A lot of your writing is creative. This rarely if ever makes money in content writing. Most popular hubs answer a question that people want to know more about.
          You hubs have links EVERYWHERE. Get rid of them. All of them. They're all places where you're leaking traffic that could be making you money. Why are YOUR other hubs at the bottom? If you NEED to link out to another website or someone else's hub, put THOSE at the bottom and put your own hubs somewhere prominent - in a right aligned blue/grey textbox for instance. You want to keep readers on your hub and on your subdomain as long as possible!
          2. Assuming the reader has read the rest of the series. In hubs like "History of the Enneagram, Part 3 of 5: Claudio Naranjo", after I scroll past the HUGE picture, I get met with a history about this man without any more information about what's in the title. If I searched on Google trying to find out what an Enneagram was, you still haven't told me. And I'll likely be too lazy to look through all your hubs to find out - instead I'll click the back button and go find someone who tells me straight up what I want to know.
          Think of each hub as a stand alone article. There is a good chance that a person who visits from Google has never read any of your content before and may never read anything you write every again. Think about how often you check out the author when you randomly Google a topic and find an article answering your question.

GREAT advice.

2. B. Leekley profile image86

Thanks, WryLit, for your good sense feedback. I will get busy redesigning my hubs to take out a lot of the links and to move the needed ones to the bottom, except to make prominent pertinent links to my own hubs. Wikipedia puts its sources of information links and additional information links at the bottom of its articles, and in the text of its articles it has active anchor link endnote numbers. HubPages does not, as best I know, include anchor links in its hub creating instructions. That's why I put links in the text. Putting my source of a fact at the end with no link to the fact in the text makes it hard for a reader to see the connection. HubPages does allow the <a></a> tag, I think, so when I state a fact that needs a reference citation, I guess I could figure out how to put in a citation number that anchor links to a Links capsule at the bottom of the article. Would that make good sense? I'll experiment. Just as a book reader has the option of flipping to the back of the book to read a cited endnote but rarely will, a reader of one of my hubs encountering an anchor link citation number can choose to click it to go to the bottom to that Links capsule but probably will instead opt to continue reading the article. That is how I read Wikipedia articles; only at the bottom, if very interested, do I look at the citations and the links to additional information. For instance, I might say something like, "Some scholars say that Gurdjieff learned about the enneagram from ancient Sufi sources [1] but others say that he invented it himself [2]," with the [1] being an anchor link to the bottom of the article to a Links capsule titled something like, "Support for a Sufi Source of Gurdjieff's Enneagram" and the[2] being an anchor link to a Links capsule titled something like, "Support for Gurdjieff's Originating the Enneagram". Make sense?

Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is not Wikipedia.   Here, you are allowed to write articles based on your own knowledge and research - you don't have to justify or back up every statement you make. 

Think of a Hub as an article you would read in a newspaper or magazine, not in a scholarly publication.  You rarely, if ever, see citations in a newspaper, do you?  Consider how a newspaper or magazine would handle the example you gave.   Either they wouldn't use references at all, or they might say something like, "Professor Watkinson of the Something Institute believes that ... while Professor Whifflepoof of the Smithsonian represents the opposing camp, asserting that ..."

Remember that if you'd written your Hubs in the olden days pre-Internet, you wouldn't have been able to hyperlink to anything.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to.  So you can still mention sources within the text, just don't hyperlink them.  That way you avoid creating a sea of blue, and are less likely to lose your readers.

On Wikipedia, readers understand that hyperlinks are just citations, and keep reading past them.  On sites like HubPages, readers see hyperlinks as offering more information which they might need to know (because citations are so rare), so they're more likely to click on them and go to the other sites.  Therefore you should link to another site ONLY if it adds value to your reader, NOT simply to prove you've done your research.  To credit your sources, add a Links Capsule at the end of the Hub and list them there.  Write a short description for each link, which will clarify which piece of information came from each source.  No need for citation numbers in the text.

Exactly.

2. B. Leekley profile image86

I meant that I have not made money I can hold, count, spend, give, or put in my savings account. After hubbing many hours per week for circa a year and a half, my Balance History grand total is more than $10 short of $50.

13. Jimut profile image70
      Jimutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can you advise me something for improving my hub. I haven't reached a least of 100 views. :-(

14. Jimut profile image70
      Jimutposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello please give me some tips on my articles..

15. dalechansenda profile image59
      dalechansendaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm a beginner on Hub pages your advice would be VERYYY appreciated! I don't know if I'm late though. thanks

1. You need to stop writing time based content. Most online content takes 3-6 months to start seeing serious traffic, so if it's out of date in a few months or a year, it's pointless. Go for evergreen topics (ones that will be as relevant in five years as they are today.)
        2. Lots of big white spaces in your hubs. Move capsules around or add more text so you don't have this issue. Use one capsule for each paragraph and one for each image.

1. dalechansenda profile image59
          dalechansendaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again! what do you think they call someone that has fun helping people...

Masochist? big_smile

1. David Trujillo profile image54
              David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jajaja . Well yeah, WryLit, you are stuck in here helping review all of our hubs. Did you know you are even mentioned in "How to" hubs for success in Hubpages?

"How to do a Successful Hubbing-Some Tips for Freshers"

16. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! An offer I can't refuse. I am not tech savvy, just dating savvy. I haven't even been able to move my photos where I want them to be. Everyone says you just have to use the arrow, but still my pictures go straight to the top or the bottom, or they stack on top of one another, but they don't stay put. Also, my traffic isn't amazing. Any ideas you have would be most appreciated.. And no need to worry, I'm not easily insulted, so critique away if you are still up to it. Thanks!!

By the sounds of it, you're not using enough capsules. Think of capsules like building blocks - you need lots of small ones to build something minutely technical. If each capsule has 500 words or 5 photos in it, it's going to be a lot clunkier to fit together. So make sure you put ONE photo in each photo capsule and ONE or two paragraphs of text in each text capsule. That way you should end up with maybe 10 capsules once you've also added one or two Amazon/Poll capsules. Then they're a lot easier to move around.

1. You need to neaten up your hubs. Don't just put lines of text for a list, use the dot points or numbers. Remove white spaces, make it more like a magazine article than a journal post.
        2. Many of your topics are VERY broad. You're competing with hundreds of other articles which may be higher quality than yours. Google the topics and see how many people are writing about them. Go for nichier topics.

1. profile image0
          savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a million! Good to know my subject matter is way too broad. I figured it probably was. Now I have a better idea of what I need to do about a variety of things,including capsules. You're amazing!

17. AlinaNycole profile image61
      AlinaNycoleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I'm brand new here, and my first hub was just published.  If you're interested, would you mind checking it out and letting me know what you think?

1. Diane Woodson profile image60
        Diane Woodsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cool be happy to, what is the title...

2. WryLilt profile image87

Welcome to Hubpages, AlinaNycole!

First of all, I think you need to read my latest hub (you can find it by clicking through to my profile) and get a grasp on some of the main things that you need to look out for.

Your hub is just one block of text - you need to treat it like a quality magazine article with a search friendly title, images, breaking the text up with subtitles and making it easy for the average internet visitor to read through.

18. Suhail and my dog profile image80
      Suhail and my dogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great job and great attitude. Hats off to you! I am learning reading your advice on others' hubs. Please continue doing the good work.

19. Rec Legisma profile image59
      Rec Legismaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello! You are helping a lot of people!! I hope I'll be a receiver of help as well. My hubs are really random right now but I would love to hear your comments. big_smile

20. Aplethora23 profile image72
      Aplethora23posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I respect your honesty and am a firm believer in constructive criticism. Sugar coating the truth does not help people improve.  Thank you for this post. I am brand new at this Hub Pages site and I am filled with ideas for hubs to post. Before I go crazy with more posts, I would actually prefer to improve the few that I already have up. I have read many of the help pages and tutorials. There's nothing better than an actual human being to give me some brutal honesty. I think what you are doing here is pretty awesome. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Ap23

21. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are such an inspiration! smile  Gosh, they say prayers aren't ever answered? When you have the time, would you please offer some insightful critique about my hubs?  Cheers for being such a awesome role model and just a sweet person trying to help us writers/authors. Wishing you the very best! smile

22. Kevin Peter profile image59
      Kevin Peterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some times my scores go high and sometimes low. I actually can't get a reason for it.

23. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://sunilkunnoth2012.hubpages.com/hu … h-Breasts.  Can I ask you for a evaluation report on the above hub. It is not featured. I wish to know why.  Please help me.

2. mkjohnston81 profile image78
    mkjohnston81posted 11 years ago

I would love some critiques if you're still bored!! I'm still pretty new to hp and trying to figure everything out, any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're off to a good start! Looking at your hubs makes me hungry.

1. As mentioned above, make your images ones that people want to pin, and click. Recipe images go GREAT on Pinterest. Also, some of your images are missing titles - that's what gets put in the description box when pinned, so make sure they're keyword rich (also helps with Google). Some image sources also have too much information. You can just put the link in the link box, it doesn't need to be mentioned in the source box as it will link up anyway.
      2. You have a few white spaces in your hubs. You may want to move capsules around or right align some images and capsules to fix this.

1. mkjohnston81 profile image78
        mkjohnston81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I will get right on these!

3. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 11 years ago

Journalism graduate, webmaster, and social media coach!!!

WryLitt, what is a social media coach? Maybe you can teach us how to improve traffic through social media and which social media website, other than Facebook, is good. Also, how can we use Facebook more effectively to promote our hubs.

I help people maximise their business on social media. Many people have no idea how to even make a Facebook page post that gets a like, let alone comments and shares.

There are two main areas of social media - onsite and on social media itself.

On your site you can maximise people wanting to pin your content, like it and also increase discussions with things like Facebook plugins.
      On Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter you can start a business page and use it promote yourself.

1. WalterPoon profile image67
        WalterPoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds interesting.... what Facebook plugins would be good to increase traffic?

As long as your site has a like button on all pages and posts, that helps. Plus have a look for plugins that let people "Facebook comment" using their Facebook logins.

2. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  I use Facebook as my main source of followers since that's where the majority of my market "lives."  My market competes together regionally on weekends and then keeps in touch between competitions via Facebook.

With that in mind and if you are still bored, can you check out my latest hub.  It hasn't been featured yet, but it is the first hub on my profile.  And the link to my FB fan page is listed at the bottom of the hub.

Any ideas to further income through this FB page or helps on the hub would be greatly appreciated. smile

1. "Some Other Songs on Agilitymach's Playlist". Use every title for some keywords. As most visitors should be from search engines or social media, chances are they have no idea who Agilitymach is...
          2. I think you could work on the title. It's a lot of confusing and slightly repetitive words. Try for something and direct. "How music can help you win in a dog agility test".

1. agilitymach profile image93

Both of those are excellent suggestions and are areas I know I'm weak.  I just don't get how to do keywords for Google search.  I also know my main target audience doesn't Google as they already know where to get info, BUT some newbies do search.  I need to be reaching them.

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

I have an article on keyword research over on Wizzley. You can use the free Google keyword tool (just Google it and sign up for a free Adwords account to use it), but make sure you use [Exact] not Broad search AND ignore the 'competition' bar - that's for advertisers not writers. A free plugin like SEOquake helps you tell how hard the competition will be to beat for your chosen keywords.

That said, I don't use keywords much anymore. I recommend EVERYONE learn to research keywords because then you understand how they work. However they're NOT the be all and end all - the numbers aren't always accurate and they don't take into account long tail keywords (basically anything more than 3-5 words in the Google search box.)

So yes, learn how to keyword research but don't get TOO stuck on it. Just use it to learn how people think when looking for an article!

4. Amadaun profile image60
    Amadaunposted 11 years ago

Sure, another newbie could use a boost!  (Writer's block...grrr...)

1. I'm fairly sure that photoshop has had thousands of guides written on it. Plus many people prefer to use free or cheap programs. So you're cutting down your target market then you're up against a lot of competition.
      2. You need more text. Many areas are big white holes because you only have one sentence between images.

5. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Hey Wry,

I'm lucky to hit 40-50 views a day on 23 hubs. Most of my hubs have taken me several days to research and write.

My own conclusion is that I do not select topics of interest to the masses, so cannot expect to earn decently from a site like this.

QUOTE: "My own conclusion is that I do not select topics of interest to the masses, so cannot expect to earn decently from a site like this."

WriteAngled, far from it!!! This world has 7 million people. In December 2000, there were 361 million internet users. 18 months later, the number had jumped to 2,400 million, a growth of 566%!

Even if a topic is not of popular interest, the number of interested people would still be substantial. Identify the wrong cause and you end up with the wrong solution. For many years, I thought my digital camera was faulty, only to find out later that the fault lies with my battery charger!!

WriteAngled, your problem is that, like many of us, we don't know how to look for traffic. I am still learning. Most of my traffic at the moment comes from Facebook because I joined HubPages only last week. Eventually, we can rely on organic traffic from Google Search but that would have to take months and you need to target keywords.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WalterPoon, I have been here for more than 3 years and nothing has changed.

I do have to admit, though, that I am not willing to spam my Facebook contacts with my articles. These are people I know in one way or another and I do not wish to mess up their timelines with random stuff.

WriteAngled,

I created a Facebook Fan Page for my writing.  This allows me to spam only people who "like" my page and want to be notified when I write a new article.  I do sometimes post my articles on my personal FB page, but not nearly as often as I do my fan page.

1. profile image0
            Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good Idea Agilitymatch.  I get a lot of traffic from G+ as well and in turn getting more followers.

6. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Oh and I did try an image with text for a hub I wrote about coffee preventing endometrial cancer. I put this on Pinterest, but have not received a single view from there.

1. You need to remember that internet users are idiots with a short attention span to boot. You need to let them know they NEED to click. A title like "Click here to find out how a common kitchen ingredient can protect against cancer!" or "Find out how to use coffee can reduce your risks of cancer". And do it on more than one hub. I still have some hubs where I've had only a handful of pins on an awesome image... others have had stacks.
      2. Maybe try a completely different angle on your titles? For instance:
      "How to make money from home by indexing books" could be "Work From Home Jobs For People Who Love Books"
      "Barszcz z Uszkami - Polish Beetroot (Beet) Soup Recipe: vegetarian version" could be "Unique Vegetarian Food: Polish Beetroot Soup."

(Suggestions only but I'm sure you can see what I mean. May be worth a try at least.)

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for having a look at my hubs, Wry,

I get what you mean, but it's putting it into practice! My writing style, and titles, tend to be either dry and academic or esoteric plays on words. I've stopped doing the second, because I was told that was useless for the Web. Now I have to start tackling the first!

7. orange skys profile image61
    orange skysposted 11 years ago

I would love some feed back about my poems if your still board and have some time. Thank you so much ahead of time.

Sorry Orange Skys... poetry is really a personal thing, not something that can be critiqued based on SEO and formatting.

Unfortunately poetry and creative writing rarely makes money online.

1. orange skys profile image61
        orange skysposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you anyways.

8. Bobski606 profile image81
    Bobski606posted 11 years ago

Hi WryLit,

I've been here exactly a year today (yay) but I've been struggling recently with all the new changes that are happening. I'd say about 4 of my hubs are my best earners but it's the other's that I'm struggling to edit. Any input would be appreciated.

Have a great day,
    Bobski606

Looks like you've got some good solid hubs there. One quick tip I'd give that is some of the best advice I've ever received is "Work on making your successful hubs better and replicating them, and ignore those that aren't!"

1. I can see some of your topics being perfect for Pinterest - I'd suggest optimising your images with titles so visitors are more likely to pin them and drive more non-Google traffic.
      2. You have a lot of random links to other people's hubs or topic pages. EVERY outgoing link is traffic that's not clicking on adverts or staying on your page! Remove all links that aren't to an important or highly relevant source, then interlink all your articles on the same topic - you can drive traffic from highly visited hubs to some of the lower visited hubs if they're related.

1. Bobski606 profile image81
        Bobski606posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant, thanks WryLit. I'll get on to that and hopefully start seeing some improvements :-)

9. Jacante profile image59
    Jacanteposted 11 years ago

If I'm not too late, I would love your opinion on any of my Hubs!

I'm been on HP just a few months, and I was just accepted to Ad Sense. Not looking to make a fortune, but always interested in increasing traffic!

Thanks, it will be so helpful to have any amount of feedback!

1. You have a lot of "tips". You need to SELL these to me in the title. You can do this by having an attractive number of options or by telling me I can find something I don't know (20 Tips To Cold Water Surf Like A Pro).
      2. Avoid having a full size image at the top of the page and avoid having a short text box right before an image (a larger text box will make an advert appear immediately top right.)

10. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

You are so sweet for doing this.  I would love for you to critique any of my hubs - I have more than 200 hubs, have been here more than a year and yet am still not getting a regular monthly payout. I am obviously missing something, but I don't know what that is!

1. I know everyone talks about finding a small niche, but it is possible to find one too small! For instance your field trip ideas for homeschoolers could also apply to toddlers and school holidays. On the other hand "How to Use Online Banking" is too broad. A phrase like that will likely be in direct competition with the help sections of many banks. Think about what you're telling people - how to save money? How to protect themselves? How to automate payments?
      2. If you're not using a Made For Pinterest or other optimised image/box top right, move your picture down a space. This will make adverts appear top right.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your advice WryLit.  The titles you mentioned are either Exclusive Titles or WTI suggestions.  I will work on changing the titles and check the photo positions.

11. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

WryLilt, you rock. Thanks so much for sharing such great advice with other Hubbers!! big_smile

big_smile Shhhh... don't tell but it's research wink

This sounds like a potentially excellent and helpful hub.  I hope you let us know via this thread when it is finished. smile

2. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto and Bravo WryLilt for your support of fellow hubbers

12. baja2013 profile image60
    baja2013posted 11 years ago

This is so cool, so I will line up with other new hubbers. smile
    Would you please check on my hubs (5) and get me some direction?
    Thanks!

Hi Baja, your hubs are a great length with plenty of content and photos.

1. I think you're using Hubapages like a blog in some ways and your topics are too broad. Instead of general articles which mimic what we can find out tourist sites or wikipedia, find more specific topics to write about. Some of your hubs may be too personal to be relevant to search engine traffic (such as "My short cell phone History").
      2. You may also want to have someone check your grammar before publishing as some of the hubs are difficult to read.

1. baja2013 profile image60
        baja2013posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot!
        You just pointed things I was aware of. I doubted my subjects are two broad, so next "travel" hubs will be more focused (one waterfall, one river or mountain).
        And sure, improve my grammar. One more reason I am here.
        Thank you very much!

13. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

I'll bite. How can my reviews be improved?

You've certainly picked your niche, which is good for getting authority with Google (as opposed to writing on 100 different topics, which worked before subdomains but not so much now.)

1. Huge blocks of text. No fun! Break up text with separate subtitled capsules so viewers can easily skim read in bite size chunks. Add some video previews of the anime and split the photos up all down the page instead of just up the top.
      2. While still on the topic of anime you may want to venture into fan items and memorabilia for different shows. This may be a way to start getting some money off eBay and Amazon. Also try out some lists - top ten monster animes, top ten hot girl animes, top ten worst animes... yeah?

14. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 11 years ago

WryLilt, I just joined HubPages last week and have only 4 hubs so far. Would be glad if you can offer me one or two advice.

1. Your hubs are on REALLY broad topics. Some of them are so broad people may not even be seriously Googling them - for instance instead of How To Solve Life's Problems you may want to go with something more specific like dealing with depression, or parental problems or friends. Same applies to doctors - most people are aware doctors aren't infallible so maybe aim at something a little more niche on the topic - how to deal with doctors, how to complain etc.
      2. Capitalise the first letter of titles, don't put them in all capitals (on the internet that's like shouting.) Get rid of some of the white spaces (with right aligned capsules if needed) and move videos and other full width items to the right so the text can continue uninterrupted on the left.

Thank you WryLit, that's very specific advice and very enlightening. Yes, I am having problems with white spaces. How do I remove that? I try to delete the spacing by ensuring that there are no blank lines at the end of each capsule but it doesn't seems to work.

1. barbat79 profile image61
          barbat79posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i have found the same problem on my hubs too!

There are a few things you can do:

1. Make sure you press delete to remove any accidental spaces you left at the end of text capsules. Plus make sure you didn't leave a space at the top of the capsule.
          2. If text capsules are side by side, make sure they are both the same approximate length. If needed, make one longer or shorter by adding or removing text/sale items/images etc. Make sure you also use LOTS of capsules to break things up, instead of putting ALL your images and text in one capsule. Generally one paragraph of text per capsule and one image per capsule are enough, so you can easily re-arrange them if needed.
          3. Check a hub AFTER you publish. After adverts are inserted, sometimes they bump down content which then makes a white break in your hub.

1. B. Leekley profile image86

When I see unneeded and unwanted white space, I edit the text capsule in question and click into the HTML view of it. The white space is usually caused by the system sticking in extra <p></p> paragraph tags or extra <br> line break tags. I delete the extras and save.

Whenever I include a quiz, I have white space problems. I'm not clear what the factors are.

2. WalterPoon profile image67

WryLilt, I just did what you advised and myyyyy, am I impressed! Yes, you are right. I never thought of putting the video on the right. It's not my video anyway, so why highlight it? As regards broad topics, I will try to narrow it down in future to have a mix because I tend to like broad  topics. So some hubs for making money and some out of personal interest.

smile

15. Savvy Mkting Chic profile image60
    Savvy Mkting Chicposted 11 years ago

Very generous of you to take the time to do this. smile
    I have been a member for a few months.  I have four hubs.  Advice on the quickest route for hubs to generate income would be great as I need to create another stream of income and I want to conclude if this is going to be a viable way to do so.

4 hubs like me... too early to talk about making any real money, LOL.

1. I can only see two of your hubs - both are on quite broad topics which (unless I'm wrong) you know nothing about other than watching other people or looking on the internet. People can just find out this info themselves with a Google search - they want secrets, great tips or things that aren't  common knowledge.
      2. It takes 6-9 months to get your first payout. This is not a place for quick money. I'd recommend reading some of the hubs by top hubbers on how to use SEO and choose good topics and maybe do a 30 day challenge.

1. Savvy Mkting Chic profile image60
        Savvy Mkting Chicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your time.  I will look into reading hubs on SEO.  I use keyword tools to search for topics people are searching for widely and write on that.  My keywords get lots of hits.  I must have done something right to have two hubs that are featured.  That's half my hubs.

Sorry but featured is just a way of saying they can be seen on the site. It doesn't mean anythingbelse. In fact it can be a bad sign if a hub isn't featured or stops being featured.

16. Rebecca Furtado profile image60
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 11 years ago

I would appreciate a look see. If you find the time.

1. Time sensitive titles. How relevant will your 2013 titled articles be in 2014?
      2. White spaces in some hubs, too bigger blocks of text in some as well. Don't have full width ANYTHING but text - right align videos, images etc unless they are very important.

17. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Huh well.  I applied for the correspondence course and got this in return.

Dear Mark, here's your advice.

Change the writing and the pictures.

Goodbye.

1. Add funny captions to your top right images - with teasers. You're style would probably be something like "Click this for THE funniest lols ever plus I need traffic. Just click already". Or something. I'll pin them and I bet other people will too!
      2. You're beyond help. Just SO beyond help. big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wry.  My traffic has now improved immeasurably.  I am now selling tips on "How I Went Vinyl in Three Easy Steps"

Isn't vinyl music, Mark? LOL

Er.  Ever heard of something called Search Engine Optimism?  Going Vinyl is when you crack the secret by putting your Keel Word in twenty-eight times.  I bought an e-book on it a while back.

28 times? That's the fastest way to be penalized by the search engines. It's called "keyword stuffing". As far as I know, 3 times is about right.

I only do natural words, entering naturally as I would in my natural way of speaking naturally.  Naturally I am careful to only naturally use natural words and I think the Panda naturally appreciates that natural way of speaking.

To check further for natural usage I read these pages in my natural voice to people who occur naturally in real life - like neighbours or those in the street.  If they threaten me with serious violence I know that it is too much.

And naturally, you'd doing a natural job of it!

18. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

OK, I will open myself to your interpretation of my hubs. Choose any and let me know how I can improve upon them. BTW 83 hubs and over a million views...that's impressive!

1. Too much uninterrupted text and "The Mummy and The Princes" has a biiiig white space in it.
      2. Your title is your selling point! Be specifically descriptive, not fancy or elaborately creative. Maybe add "How To" to more hub titles too.

19. R Creighton G profile image60
    R Creighton Gposted 11 years ago

I would like to have your opinion on my hubs.  I can tell this thread is going to keep you busy, so I'm down for a long wait.  Thanks!

1. Your titles may look good on a book, but your on the internet now. The titles are what make Google decide to send you traffic and make people decide to click through to your hub instead of one that is more specific about what it offers.
      2. Lots of big white spaces in your hubs. Move capsules around or add more text. Align images to the right instead of making them full width. Use the Amazon capsule instead of randomly linking words to Amazon.

1. R Creighton G profile image60
        R Creighton Gposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

You're. LOL! Yes you can tell I was doing some late at night.

20. Rebecca Furtado profile image60
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 11 years ago

I am excited I have made almost two dollars. LOL  I am getting views. This is a great thread because a lot of us newbies and well trying it again folks make the same mistakes, Thanks Wrylitt . All the advice is great.

21. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Free advice from a very successful Hubber?  I'm game!  I have learned a lot since signing on here, but I know I can learn much more. One of my concerns is that I don't really HAVE a niche - my writing history was/is very broad, and I just jumped in and wrote hubs about a wide variety of things. 

FYI - you are right about the time it takes to build traffic - and about the benefits of keyword research.  My biggest initial mistake was in creating titles you'd use in magazines or newspapers - catchy, but nothing anyone would put in the search box.

Great titles - explanatory and to the point!

1. You may be able to use more lists. For instance in Who is at Risk for HIV? you could divide the people up using dot points to make it obvious that the bold text is separate to the subtitles.
      2. I can see Made For Pinterest images being the only other improvement you could make. Either those or adverts should be at the top right of your hub because this is prime real estate!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, WryLilt!  I'm glad to know I'm somewhat headed in the right direction.  Are you saying to have an Ad as the top photo (I guess by not having a photo capsule at the top?).

I'm definitely going for the tips you gave on creating photos that are Pinterest friendly!

Yep. If you have a text box ONLY at the top, an advert will appear there. So either an advert or a suitable Pinterest image. This is the first place your visitors see so make sure you milk that space for all it's worth! Another option in a product hub is an image of the product with the Amazon product directly beneath.

22. barbat79 profile image61
    barbat79posted 11 years ago

Wow Just what I had wished for, real review and critique...what can I do to any or all of my hubs to improve hubbing and searchablility as well as in general ...any input would be awesome.  I am barbat79   
    I will bite at this figuratively   Thank you in advance!

1. Rebecca Furtado profile image60
      Rebecca Furtadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so guilty of that cutesy title thing.

Unfortunately Barbat, creative writing is not a good online money earner on content sites. This is because people are usually looking for information or something specific. Content with "pretty" titles is unlikely to get search engine traffic. The only thing you can do that sometimes helps with traffic is be specific in titles. For instance "Story About Trees", or "Poem About Bread". Think about what people would be looking for in Google.

1. barbat79 profile image61
        barbat79posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  I will try toward that and other subjects!   That is so different from the literary world...thank you this is a different world here.
        I will be sure to note this and work toward a better reading for hubs !

23. David Trujillo profile image54
    David Trujilloposted 11 years ago

If I´m still on time I would love some awakening critique on one of my Hubs about the Chilliwack Bomber.

Thanks for your hard work doing this for all of us knewbies!

1. Why do you have a random link to someone else's bomber jacket hub? Every link out is a link taking people away from your hub! You're on the second page of Google for Chilliwack Bomber jackets though, so you may stand a chance with this term. Do you know how many searches they get?
      2. Align videos and images to the right so you can have some continuous text. Place an Amazon capsule directly beneath an image so people who like it can click straight through.

1. David Trujillo profile image54
        David Trujilloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I hadn´t even bothered to check on Google since most people say it takes more than 6 months to rank well on Google. I´ll remove the random link and replace one of Amazon´s links under one of the pics.

Thanks

24. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Hi WryLilt. I hope you get a chance to get to me. I need to know if I'm grasping SEO: searchable titles and use of keywords. Please tell me in which hubs I'm getting the hang of it and in which ones I'm not. Thanks. smile

You have some good solid content. I think the only way is up.

1. Some titles seem a little broad. I don't know if you're getting traffic on them but you could try being a little more niche. Also, a poem here and there (maybe right aligned?) isn't too bad, but generally poetry and creative writing doesn't bring traffic. And if someone else wrote the poem then you run the risk of duplicate content.
      2. You have some white spaces in hubs you can remove, as well as some full width boxes that could be right aligned (images etc). I'd also recommend trying out some "Made for Pinterest" images.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is this for me, WryLilt? Not sure, no name. I don't think so since it doesn't address my question. Looking forward to your feedback.

Sorry, yes this is for you. As I said, you have good solid content but you do need to work on your titles - some topics are quite broad. SEO is about finding niches that aren't too competitive as well as being clear with what you're telling Google and staying on topic.

Ah! So SEO is not just about one article. If I have a niche in say, articles on different methods of  "finding inner peace" my search optimization increases when more people find my articles in their searches.

I will work on tweaking titles. I've used the title-turner before  and it seemed to help. Not sure what to do with Pinterest. Will research.
            Thank you very much.

Anyone claiming to know everything about SEO is a liar or bignoting themselves. Hell, I don't even know CLOSE to everything about SEO. Not to mention Google changes its algorithms hundreds of times a year, so although people can make calculated guesses, it really is impossible to know exactly what works and what doesn't.

If you write a fantastic article on, say, shoes, then chances are there are 500 other fantastic articles out there on shoes. If you write a fantastic article on white shoes with red stripes, chances are you'll have very little competition (although you may not have many people searching for it either.) So it's about finding a balance, avoiding subjects that EVERYONE is writing about and still writing on subjects that EVERYONE is Googling.

SEO is so many things. How long people stay on your page. Whether they click your links or click back. Your keywords. Your titles. Your synonyms. Your backlinks (both to and from your hub.)

25. wooleywriter profile image60
    wooleywriterposted 11 years ago

I am a newbie, and only have one hub.  Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. Your images are very small. Bigger is better and Hubpages will scale down the size if it's too big. The top right section of your hub is prime real estate. Put an advert, an Amazon/eBay capsule or a Made For Pinterest image there.
      2. Big block of text. Add some videos, polls, subtitles (by using multiple text boxes) etc to your hub. Internet browsers have a short attention span so make sure your article is easy to skim read and has plenty of eye catching variety.

1. wooleywriter profile image60
        wooleywriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot.  I knew my images should have been larger, but they were blury when they were larger.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.

You need to start out with bigger images. If they're small, they'll pixelate if you try and make them bigger. You need to start big and shrink.

26. barbat79 profile image61

There is so much to draw from this thread even if it isn't specific to our own hubs.  Thank you !!!!

You're welcome. smile

27. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 11 years ago

I'd love you to have a look over at my hubs and offer suggestions for improvement. Some new and old hubs though are doing pretty good traffic wise. Others not so. Though overall, my per hub average seems okay.
    I find that my CPC is low overall. Any suggestions to raise the CPC? Could my targetting low competition keywords be the reason?
    I just checked out your article on keyword research at wizzley. How much do you feel would be a good range of global monthly searches one should look for, when searching for the exact keywords?
    Thanks.

CPC - I'm assuming you're talking Adsense/eBay. Not much you can do unless you get really good at targeting specific high paying keywords, which are usually pretty saturated too. I prefer Amazon/HP ad program because they're commission and CPM respectively.
      Monthly Searches - Really depends on the competition. Are there hundreds of articles on the same topic? Or are they articles on other topics which just randomly mention your topic? Generally I'd start looking in the 1000-5000 range though, with anywhere up to 20,000 depending.

1. All your hubs immediately hit me with an image! Move it to the top right or move it down. This is your prime real estate - the first area a searcher sees. You need text there that grabs their attention so they don't leave, plus something good on the right. Try and never have a full width image unless it's a REALLY important, relevant image.
      2. Way too many lists and bolded items. You need to have the subtitles as the most in-your-face and easy to skim breakers in your hubs. Avoid bold and italics except for the important stuff and try and keep lists to 1-2 per hub.

1. rajan jolly profile image93
        rajan jollyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wry, thanks for these tips but just wanted a bit of clarification on the "too many lists" things. Can you clarify please? Thanks for sparing your time.

Dot point and number lists. Some hubs have 8 or more. You can barely get away with it in some hubs, but in others there are too many. You should save lists for pounding a point home with the reader. If you use too many, they'll lose the ability to grab the reader's attention.

28. sereseus profile image69
    sereseusposted 11 years ago

Ok i would welcome your help and feel free to express what you feel about my hubs.

1. Creative writing is unlikely to make you money. Stick with information and answering questions or learn some creative writing SEO (see link further down page.)
      2. Many of your hubs are way too short and use way too much formatting. Cut out the bold and the dot points. Keep the capsule subtitles as a simple way to divide your content.

1. sereseus profile image69
        sereseusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your time,I will focus on your advises. Have a nice day.

29. preciousblotters profile image61
    preciousblottersposted 11 years ago

Still bored? Please check out my hubs! Thanks!

1. Align images to the right. They don't need to be full width. Top right on your hubs is prime real estate - put something good there like an advert or MFP image.
      2. Subtitle your text boxes so they're easy to skim. If it's just non broken text then most people are likely to turn away. Subtitles let people quickly skim what information you're offering.

30. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 11 years ago

WryLilt:  I've been here 5 years and I'm doing fairly well, at least in my opinion, making about $150 per month every month (hey it pays the cell phone bill smile but if you can help me improve I would appreciate it.  One thing that I plan on implementing is creating more "Off-Grid" hubs as I am going to be going off the grid in about a year.  These are my best hubs.  But, any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

What do you mean by Off-Grid? Evergreen?

1. In hubs like "A Simple Explanation of Fiat Money, The Federal Reserve and Inflation", you don't have any subtitles. Subtitles are great for skimmers and those with a short attention span. Break it up into bite size chunks.
      2. Usually I say cut down on lists. But there are hubs where you have lists that aren't obvious enough. Don't be scared to use the dot points or number lists!

1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
        Brie Hoffmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Going off-grid means that you don't use utilities or eat corporate food, it means that you grow your own food, create your own electricity, in some cases build your own house and are in general self-sustaining.  The hubs that I have written that are about off-grid topics are my most popular hubs. 

Thanks for the advice regarding subtitles and lists I'll work on that.

Ah that makes sense. Yes, good niche. I know a lot of people are trying to do that nowadays! Just make sure you go for specific, not general topics in that niche, as I'm sure it's quite competitive!

31. Nicole Winter profile image59
    Nicole Winterposted 11 years ago

I'll bite, Wry smile

What advice could you give me?

1. I'm getting the feeling that some of your articles (and titles attached to them) are written more in the opinion/blog style. Nothing wrong with this, but as each hub is a stand alone article and you're not a famous personality, it's probably not helping you with traffic.
      2. Big white spaces need to be fixed, any non-important videos and images should be right aligned, not full width.

32. StitchTheDamned profile image68
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

Oh gosh. You have so many replies on here, but I would LOVE a critique on my Hubs, if you get a chance. I have just 9 published hubs and I have been here just two weeks. I had a a previous Adsense account from YouTube (that I've only made $3 in the last 4 years) and I have made a whole $0.09 since being on here.

StitchTheDamned, I got my first $100 from AdSense after three and a half years with my own websites, but since end of last year, I am getting payment almost every month. I think you did not make any attempt to get traffic to your site. But all is not lost. With the efforts I put on my websites, I believe I can get 10 times more in HubPages which has high traffic. So now that you are here, I believe you will do better.

I just joined 9 days ago and I earn much more than 9 cents a day in the last 2 days. I only have 4 hubs. I sincerely hope that WryLilt can help you because you ought to earn more than what you are earning now. If I can be of any assistance to you, let me know and I will see what I can do to help you. (Honestly, I am here to see WryLilt's help too, so I am no expert!)

1. Creative writing is unlikely to ever get you earning great money in content writing. Your summary box "A poem written by StitchTheDamned" tells Google nothing. Unless StitchTheDamned is a celebrity, this isn't helping your cause!
      2. Your hubs are very general. There are thousands of authority bloggers and websites with hands on information similar to yours. You need to go more niche.

1. StitchTheDamned profile image68
        StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Alright, thank you. Yeah, I have decided not to put any more poetry up. I don't think people will be browsing the web specifically for my poems.
        I do need to find a niche. I just don't know what my primary focus could be!
        Thank you so much

If you do want to write creatively, check out this great hub: http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Tip … nd-Fiction

As for a niche, here's a hub I wrote (hoping it won't get snipped for self promotion lol... if so, it's called "Brainstorming Blog & Article Posts - When you just can't think of another idea!"). http://wrylilt.hubpages.com/hub/Hubstorm

33. StitchTheDamned profile image68
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

WalterPoon, I believe that you are right, that I may not being doing enough to bring traffic to my sites, including hubpages. I know my writing is not that bad, so it is definitely a matter of improving my hubs and bring the viewers in. I am just completely unsure as to how to drive more traffic, other than posting links on my facebook.

1. GwennyOh profile image91
      GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too would appreciate some advice  if you end up with some time to do it. Thanks in advance.

I know Jean Bakula often complained that Tarot was a hard niche to get traffic for.

1. Many of your hubs are personal - making connections people wouldn't necessarily make when searching on Google (such as Lupus and Corruption.) You need to think about what people will look for and remember that you are in competition with millions of people who are self styled writers and bloggers.
        2. Way too much use of bold text. Use subtitles and lists when needed and only use attention grabbing formatting when something is really important!

Thanks.  I was fairly certain when I wrote the Lupus/corruption piece that it wouldn't be a traffic grabber; it was an need to say something.  I am aware that Tarot doesn't have a wide appeal.  That's why I started to span out.  Still have limited content in other areas though.  I thank you for your opinion; I appreciate it.

34. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

This is an amazing post and one can learn quite a bit from reading your answers.  I knew absolutely nothing about keywords, SEO etc. when I began writing on HubPages.  I have slowly learned some things through the years but obviously could continue learning more.  I have been going back and adding 'html' links to my older hubs and changing them with the new rules as they come along.  IF you are still feeling bored ( or doing research ) feel free to take a look at my hubs.  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

1. Lots of your hubs have an image straight away at the top. Move this to the right and make it an MFP or put an advert there. This is prime real estate!
      2. Way too many links out. Especially to Wikipedia... if you want to drive traffic to your other articles (please don't drive it to other people's unless they're really good!) put a text or link box on the right to grab attention for ONE link instead of randomly scattering them in the text.

1. Peggy W profile image96
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt,

At one point HubPages recommended putting the images at the top so that is what I have been doing.  Will start changing that back.  As to Pinterest, I have not joined because IF I AM READING IT CORRECTLY, one loses the copyrights to one's images if it is posted there.  Is it only that top image with MFP (made for Pinterest) written across it...or is it all the images posted on the hub?  As to writing on that image...doesn't that go against HubPages policies? 

As to the Wikipedia links...I always thought that would be a good service for people who wish to learn more if they are interested in the topic and wish to read more about it.  By changing them to the 'html" links at least a new window is opened.  I am still working on changing the links to the 'html' ones.  IF however you think that the internal links should only lead to others of ours...or REALLY good ones...will consider cutting many of them out per your advice.

I really appreciate your input and consideration of my hubs.  Thanks again!

The old "you lose your copyright" thing was busted ages back Peggy. smile I'd recommend reading their Terms & Conditions and having a Google about any parts you don't understand. It's kind of like Hubpages use of our content... sounds scary but just covers their butts in promoting your work.

You can find more about MFP images in this thread I started and also an official answer from Simone on what Hubpages thinks of them: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111570

These days people are pretty savvy about finding information. If they want to know more, they know how to Google. You don't need to encourage it - if they're running off to Wikipedia you're leaking traffic that could otherwise click an advert or even (at least) click through to another hubber's hub. Did you know if you link to other hubs using your referral link, Hubpages displays your adverts 9-12% of the time on EVERY page that person visits, anywhere on Hubpages?

Thanks again WryLilt,

You should be on the staff of HubPages with all of the great advice that you are giving out.  Will certainly check out that link you gave and also Simone's answer.  As to linking to other people's  hubs with our referral link...I am assuming that it must be shared to activate those adverts. 

I really appreciate you and the free advice you are giving!!!!!

I don't work well in groups! big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I thought the issue was not so much losing your copyright, but losing the attribution that goes with the photo?

I guess if you ONLY pin MFP photos, which you've created from free-to-use photos, then it's not an issue, right?

Marisa, I believe there were two separate issues.

The first one was something to do with Pinterest ToS which cleared them to allow people to embed images on their own sites (which made it sound like they had all rights to your images.)
              The second one, as you say, is about losing attribution. I wrote a Wizzley article about it somewhere.

Edit: Have a feeling Pinterest has changed their ToS since then. I'll have to have a re-read sometime.

I tried the MFP photo idea, but I don't know if I did it right. smile  I did it with two of my hubs.  They are the only ones on my profile page with words on the picture other than book covers for book reviews. 

It will be interesting to see how well they do.  I used two of my biographical creative writing hubs to see if I could attract more traffic to them.

I assume you mean:

Agility Dreams: Achieving the AKC's MACH Agility Championship Title -:-
                  Have a look at Pinterest and see some of the beautiful eye catching images. Your image needs to do double duty:
                  1. Catch the eye as being unique and interesting and related to your topic.
                  2. Leave a good area for your text without it looking tacky or detracting from the picture.

Nobody Can Eat Just One: Ewww! Dogs Eating Cat Poo -:-
                  Why should I click it? Give me ONE reason to click it? You have to tease me, grab my attention and make me want to click wink

35. VVanNess profile image77
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

You have some great advice! I'm so impressed that you are doing this for people! I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon if you're giving advice! smile I sure hope that I can be in your place soon helping others with theirs!

I'm closing in on 100 Hubs and over 90% are featured. I would love suggestions on improving and getting more traffic. I love writing, but I ultimately used this as an excuse to finally start bringing in some money into the house. Thanks again!

First of all - featured doesn't mean anything other than that yes, they're showing on the site. If possible, all hubs should be featured, otherwise you can't get Google traffic.

Great titles and niches - I don't know how they stack up for searches and competition, but you've chosen very specific topics (many people would choose something too broad like "Bridesmaid dresses" or "How to have a nice wedding"). Overall I think you're doing a great job with content and layout too.

1. Maybe a little TOO much text without a break. Maybe break each subtitled section down into 2 paragraphs max, and use some lists as well to add a little more easy on the eyes layout.
      2. I can see 'Made For Pinterest' images being very good on your articles... your topics match what goes well on Pinterest (it's full of women, so weddings and food are usually a hit.)

1. VVanNess profile image77
        VVanNessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I was hoping I was on the right track. I also saw that you are informing others to put titles to their images so I will stay doing that. I really appreciate it.

36. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Great and very generous thread, Wry!   I hope newbies are reading through it because there's a lot to learn here.

I should really get into creating images for Pinterest but I must admit, I'v been going through an unmotivated spell with my writing for the last - goodness - it must be nearly a year now, and I've been focussing on other projects like web design, performing and real-world jobs.  The HubPages forum is my procrastinating site too...

big_smile I remember back when you were giving ME tips! MFPs are really amazing. I have no idea why so few people are using them. So simple and so easy to implement - and you turn your current traffic into a means of driving you MORE traffic.

1. VVanNess profile image77

What is an MFP? I would also love to hear your response to my message above. smile

MFP... let me guess. Can't be a mechanical fuel pump, so I guess it must be monofluorophosphate to spice up your article.

"Made For Pinterest" image. More info here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111570

1. Zsuzsi profile image61
            Zsuzsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've visited this forum thread and found some great advice on how to make my content pinterest-friendly. I'll start working on them right away!

2. VVanNess profile image77

Thank you! I know this was one of the items you commented on regarding my Hubs. I'll check it out. Thank you!!

3. mary615 profile image82
            mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that link about Pinterest.  I have not placed text on my photos to be Pinned  because of HP rules against watermarks, etc., but now I see exactly what Simone said about that.   I like Pinterest and do get a fair amount of traffic.

37. WryLilt profile image87

I asked Cardisa to republish a fantastic hub that she'd deleted ages back. Definitely a good read.

If you are a "creative writer" (poetry, stories etc) then check out this hub on creative writing SEO:

http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Tip … nd-Fiction

I just read it and it is indeed EXCELLENT and very helpful! I gave you a shout out in the comments for sending us. smile

Thanks Janshares smile

38. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

You must feel like the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
    I always appreciate suggestions, but if you don't have time, it's better if you help the newer people.
    Very generous of you to offer help-- and some of the things that might seem simple or obvious to some.. aren't always to others.
    Bravo!

Ok I will work through the backlog and come back to you. I haven't forgotten anyone, I'm just working through a few at a time when I have spare time smile

1. You need to check your hubs after publishing wink In some, the insertion of the Adsense advert has put a big white space. Also, use dot/number lists instead of bold, as bold text can easily be confused with subtitle text making it harder to skim.
      2. Some of your titles strike me as very "bloggy". Not sure how to explain except that they're based on words people wouldn't type into Google to find them. For instance "From California Gold Rush Country: The "Dear Charlie" Letters of a Pioneer", "Lessons from a 1960 Road Trip Across the USA" are using things specifically personal to you or a small group of people, as opposed to targeting people looking for the information in them and thinking about what keywords they use.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go over my lists and titles.
        Funny, I don't see the white spaces-- maybe I have to be signed out to see that??
        Also, THANKS for the MFP suggestions. I had no idea how to add text to photos, and began looking around for a simple application. I found out, I already had the capability on my Mac, so have started a little experimenting with that.

Great you found a way! I personally find Picmonkey fantastic.

White space after your first texbox in this hub for instance: Freestyle Embroidery: Doodling With Thread

Also, on second look, a couple more tips:

-Way too much use of underline, bold, italics. Put each separate topic section into a different textbox and use the subtitles to break them up. For lists inside a subtopic, use the dot point or number lists. Lists and bold, underline, italics should be used sparingly for emphasising an important point, otherwise the reader has no idea where to look!

39. piuyshbook profile image61
    piuyshbookposted 11 years ago

Its really good to hear this thread and you looking very confidant I will appreciate your two suggestion for my hub page

I think you may want to start with the basics - go have a look at some top hubbers hubs on SEO and setting up hubs to get traffic.

1. One of your titles doesn't make sense - "Deals word now converted into Discount". Also, your topics are VERY broad. Meaning you're competing with thousands of other articles. So you need to find a more specific niche.
      2. Links? Why do you have random links in your articles? Or are you promoting your own sites or products on other sites? Best way to leak traffic is to include random links!

40. nifwlseirff profile image92
    nifwlseirffposted 11 years ago

I'll happily wait for some feedback - thanks WryLilt!
    All was going well until sometime last year when search traffic dropped to a third (evenly). Some of it was probably due to scrapers... but I haven't been able to bring it up. Very frustrating!

Great content!

1. I can see lists making your titles more attention grabbing. "Tips" and "Rules" is wishy washy and doesn't tell me much. Offer me ten tips, or 5 rules and sell me on why they are the BEST ones out there!
      2. Contradictory I know, but also CUT DOWN on lists. Some hubs have up to 5 dot point lists. Lists are for attention, not for use throughout the whole article. Also, try and align images to the right, not full width, unless they're really important.

1. nifwlseirff profile image92
        nifwlseirffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a bunch!

41. Taleb80 profile image79
    Taleb80posted 11 years ago

It will be very nice of you if you give some advices. Thank you.

1. Your topics are very broad - thousands of people have written on why social media is great (and most people already know) and things like budgeting. You need to find more niche topics that aren't as common.
      2. You have a heap of links in some hubs. That's a quick way to drain traffic. Only link out to your own work OR very important information.

1. Taleb80 profile image79
        Taleb80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt
        Thanks you for your kind feedback, I will work on the advices you have mentioned.
        Hope all the best for you.

42. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

Hi WryLit,

I need feedback as well. most of my best performers were written within the last year but I still think I could do more for traffic. I hope you aren't too tired to look at my hubs.

BTW, thanks for posting my hub here. I hope it helps creative writers.

You have some great content so here are just some areas that you may want to work on for polishing purposes - I know you already know what you're doing!

1. Cut down on the number of dot point and number lists. Keep to one main one as a "feature" of an article.
      2. Some of your hubs are a little short. Sometimes this is good, but I feel like you could add some more meat... 1000+ words is a good goal. I think MFP images would also work well for you.

1. Cardisa profile image88

Thanks WryLit, will work on those. smile

2. Sheri Faye profile image79
        Sheri Fayeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What the heck is MFP?

43. GwennyOh profile image91
    GwennyOhposted 11 years ago

I wanted to let you know that I am working on implementing the suggestions you offered, both to me and to others.  It takes a while to understand the gravity of some of the smaller things, but they all have their place. 

At first, I was thinking of the Lupus slash Corruption article in terms of being a mere expression piece, and that no one would look for such an article, so it was rendered as 'filler' and un-promotable.  Now, I see that it too can be promoted, just perhaps in a different way.  Title change, editing whatever it takes.  Thanks for helping me get a better understanding of it all.

Good to hear Gwenny! The thing is, since the internet is open to EVERYONE, you have to think about the differences in demographics. Each demographic (gender, age, country etc) will look for content using different keywords. So you need to think about what your demographic is and then think about how they talk, their slang and what they're looking for.

Great advice, thanks again!

44. Zsuzsi profile image61
    Zsuzsiposted 11 years ago

Hi WryLilt,
    I see your offer to help has been really well received by fellow hubbers. If you still have some spare time life, I'd appreciate if I could also have your feedback on my work.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Zsuzsi

For a three-monther I think you've really got the hang of it - your titles and topics are clear and specific.

1. You have a lot of white spaces in your hubs. Try and put one paragraph or photo in each capsule so you can move them around, and make sure you view your hub after publishing to make sure inserted adverts don't bump anything down. If you have something like a poll, put it to the right so it doesn't have a blank space beside it.
      2. Some of your links are just pasted as the URL not as a word link. Do you know how to use hyperlinks correctly like this ? Try and avoid linking out to anything except very relevant sources or your own hubs.

1. Zsuzsi profile image61
        Zsuzsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot, WryLilt for the encouraging words and valuable feedback. I've also read through your other comments in this forum and have found tons of great advice I will put to good use. THANKS again!

Your comment about linking content to my own hubs vs. other sites has made me think. I'd like to create hubs that appeal to my readers yet encourage them to stay on HP and discover more articles here. I'll try to find a good balance in this and once I have more hubs ready, I will update the links as well. But first I'll rework my links to URLs...

45. Coffeeatdawn profile image76
    Coffeeatdawnposted 11 years ago

Hi WryLilt, this is generous of you. I'd like to know how I can further improve my hubs. I look at my account and it seems like that the only traffic I get are from my friends haha. This is my first time to publish online and as I go along I try to learn "everything" from traffic to Pinterest. Your tips will really help. Thanks!

Don't stress too much as yet. It takes time to see traffic - hubs I wrote three years ago are now peaking, even ones that only got 1-2 views a day for the first six months!

1. Your hubs are very general. This means you have millions of people competing in the same topic as you. You need to find more specific topics and think about what people are looking for in Google that they CAN'T find a good answer to.
      2. Big text blocks. Breat up text into separate capsules with a subtitle and 2-3 paragraphs per text box. Use number/dot point lists where needed. Add more images, polls, videos.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
        Brie Hoffmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is very true.  I have hubs that got very little traffic for years that all of a sudden started getting lots and lots of traffic.  Times change and you may be ahead of the curve, the best thing is to keep growing and writing..imho.

1. Coffeeatdawn profile image76
          Coffeeatdawnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree on keep on growing and writing Brie. Creative writing is such a passionate art and has to be fueled everytime.

2. Coffeeatdawn profile image76
        Coffeeatdawnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt. That's great advice about breaking up the blocks. Admittedly, I  get carried away at times. I am only now learning about writing online and capturing the reader's attention and hooking them to stay. It's a totally different medium. I appreciate it.

46. barbat79 profile image61

Hi!  I hope you have a bit more time. This is a lot of information!
    My question is why do the informational pieces I have get lower traffic than my more creative ones?

ps I am going through to simplify my other titles, thank you so much!

To hazard a guess, maybe it's because you're using better keywords and they've got less competition in your creative pieces. For example:

"A poem about bread" will likely match what people are Googling and as most creative writers aren't SEO savvy, may not have much competition.
      "My dog Miffy was sad" about how to deal with dog depression may not get any hits because no where in the title does it mention what it's about, and it's likely it will be competing with authority pet sites too.

47. WryLilt profile image87

I think I've done a brief review of everyone so far. You'll see I've given different advice based on where hubbers are at or what jumped out at me the most. So feel free to browse through other answers for ideas.

Note that these are just SUGGESTIONS. Every hub is different, will get a different demographic and has a different chance of success. Experienced hubbers give advice that is GOOD because it works 95% of the time. But once you have a GRASP of the good ways to do things, sometimes you can break the rules and find it works really well (for example I always say write at least 1000 words, but I have one 250 word hub that still gets decent views.)

And if you're stressed out by adding things, changing things, maximising your hubs, here is the best tip I ever received:

Forget the hubs that aren't working. Start with the ones that ARE working, that ARE pulling traffic and make THEM better. You know they work already, so the only way is up. Don't waste time on something that isn't working, just learn from it.

And yes, I will get to anyone else that posts, just give me a day or two to check back in between my other projects wink

Great advice to concentrate on improving the better hubs first with all of the suggestions that you have so readily shared with so many of us.  Thank you!  Thank you and thank you again!!!  smile

48. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

OK.  My first MFP picture.  Looking forward to the money...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7904573_f248.jpg

1. Cardisa profile image88

MFP could mean one of several thing like motha effing picture, my freaking penpal or most favorite person.

Yes Mark definitely a good way to get all those repins...lol

2. Li Galo profile image73

Hahaha... first laugh of the day.  Thanks, Mark!

3. WryLilt profile image87

I love you Mark. If I wasn't married, I'd marry you.

Put that on a hub and I will pin it. Seriously. I reckon that'll draw traffic from people laughing so hard they pin.

Putting marriage to one side for now.  You'll Pin it?  Right. I need 24 hours to revamp a hub and then I'll come back begging.  Thanks!

Yes, I'll happily repin it to my 700 something followers who happily ignore my pins, while hundreds of randoms repin my pins from search. There is logic in this mess of social media somewhere...

4. agilitymach profile image93

I'd repin those cherries.  That's funny!  I bet it could go viral.  Time to make a humorous hub about cherries with that MFP pic!!

49. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 11 years ago

Long time, no see, WL!
    If you want one more Hubber to suggest improvements to, then pick me!  Pick me!  Haha.  Anyhow, I've not published in quite awhile, and perhaps that's one improvement I ought to look into...
    I'd love it if you'd check my work.
    Take care,
    Laurel

Hey Lorlie! big_smile

1. Some topics are very broad. For instance "Scammers and Sidetracks: How to Avoid a Modern Day Telephone Con", well there are thousands of "scam buster" sites out there you're probably competing with!
      2. A hub like "Heat is Good For You!" I could see being expanded into something bigger. And adding something to the title about types of heat etc, instead of as a general statement might work too.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much-I'll bet you're no longer bored, my friend!

Well to me, bored is not being challenged. And for ten minutes a day I don't feel challenged. LOL

50. barbat79 profile image61

Dear helper of hubbers,   I am at a loss of what to write.  I am more creative than informative and wish I could write something which is naturally me.  While I know you give only constructive criticism, I myself feel at a loss of hubs.  The information I reviewed about many other comments has overwhelmed me.
    I love to write about things I am passionate about. 
    Any suggestions?  If poetry has no place here and stories aren't searchable either, than I am grappling with what to write about. 
    Signed respectfully, Writers block and confused about hub writing

Barbat,

I know one story you wrote about your dogs and leash training.  You included your story about your dogs AND incorporated steps on how to leash train YOUR way.  This concept can be transferred to all sorts of hubs. 

You can write a recipe hub and include a personal story that relates to that recipe.   

You go to a movie, spill popcorn all over the people in front of you, and you want to write a hub about it.  Well, do, and incorporate a review of the flick as well.

Your car breaks down, and you get scammed at the repair shop.  Write a story about it, and then include tips you wish you knew before hand on how not to get scammed at a car repair shop.

The list is endless really.  You're a story teller, so combine that with real-life information that people are searching for and can use. smile

I'm no Hubpages expert, but you have the talent and skill to reinvent yourself just for searchable hubs. smile

+1

Well said.

Also, Barbat, maybe look at one of my hubs called "Brainstorming Blog & Article Posts - When you just can't think of another idea!" for ideas.

1. Jane51 profile image73
          Jane51posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Was wondering would you mind having a look at my hubs please. Have appreciated your other comments and will try and put into practice smile

1. Topics are quite broad. You need to narrow them down more, because some are in quite competitive areas. For instance "Child Safety Stair Gates Review" might be better as a review of a specific brand of stair gate. And take 2013 out of titles, as that means they'll be very time based!
            2. Be careful of over-use of dot point lists. It leaves a lot of blank space on the right as well as makes articles look lower quality. Use them sparingly if you want a certain part of your hub to pound a point home to the reader or grab attention.

1. Jane51 profile image73
              Jane51posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Wrylit really appreciate your comments! Will definitely be putting them into action!

OK Wry Litt:  I know we've shared before, but I am really frustrated again!!  I have over 130 articles and yet usually get fewer than 200 views per day.  On the other hand, I'm making around $20 per month on average.  Nobody seems to be able to tell me whether this is good or bad, but I keep thinking its BAD, despite the fact that I spend days on end writing, editing, reworking, etc.  I fear I am just not getting it!  I started making made for Pinterest photos and posting them and have almost no repins, even though I did follow a few other people's boards.  Am I dense or what???

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

May I offer a suggestion?

I just skimmed through your RV hubs (they were the ones that interested me) and have one major gripe, or at least major to me.

I think you overuse bullet points to an extreme.  It seemed that at least half of each hub was bullet points and I found it very distracting.  Nor did I like starting the list with an incomplete sentence; that rather added insult to injury.

I think your hubs would be much more readable if you wrote out most of those sections into paragraphs, using additional words and explanations.  It also gives google a little more to work with in terms of keywords.  Bullet (or number) lists can be very valuable, but need to be used in moderation.  One or perhaps two lists per hub, and hardly ever a list only 3 lines long. 

I like your information, I like your pictures, and I like your titles for the most part.  I just didn't get along with those lists!

Wilderness:  I've had mixed reviews on my use of lists, some people love them, others not so much. I am currently reworking every single article to reduce the number of lists and their sizes, but in some instances, lists must remain.  I'm doing my best but with 130 hubs, it's going to take time.  I appreciate your comments, though and am glad you like the RVing info I'm writing about...that, in the end, is my goal!

Wry Litt:  One more thing:  I think the reason so many of my titles are "broad" is for the exact reason I stated here.  It is very, very confusing and frustrating.

And again...I just realized I was spelling your name sorry.  My eyes aren't so good...I'm old, what do you expect LOL!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)