Waking up and still dreaming...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

What is awareness and how does it differ from dreaming? I have dreams and my mind has a reality to decipher of them. Is reality realy so different from a dream?

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand that studies have been done about dreaming.  Apparently we are only aware of dreams if we wake up at a certain time, very closely, and immediately after the dream has occurred.

I.e., we are not aware of the dream whilst it is actually occurring.

In my view, Awareness is consciousness.  We have our basic 5 senses, sight, hearing, feeling, tasting and smelling.  With these faculties we receive messages from the world around us, send the messages to the brain and decipher all the messages.  Then we make a judgement of what those messages have told us. 

Once that judgement has been made, we decide upon a reaction (within the brain, or via the reflexes in the spinal chord) and send our own message back to the muscles for an appropriate action.

By variable degrees, the judgements and resulting actions are either totally voluntary at one extreme, or totally in-voluntary at the other extreme.

Within the Dream context, it would seem that all our reactions to a dream are totally involuntary since we are not "awake" at the time of the dreaming.  We might sleep walk, or jump, or twist, or shout.  We are not aware of doing so at the time.

Once we have woken up, i.e., after the dream has passed, then we are truly aware, conscious.

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where does said consciousness originate?

My answer; the center of one's self.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But does it?  Could it be even deeper than that?

2. profile image0

Back to the "Is-ness" of Being.

Consciousness, being infinite, has no center which is measurable. You and I are the manifestations of that infinity.

There comes a point in our effort to understand when we just need to accept that it IS.  Leave it there and get on with living.

In my humble opinion.

1. profile image0

Dawn is up, here on the hill, must get out and greet the day.  See yous later folks.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Think reality will kill me where a dream should not.

That's what they call hard reality, soft reality is the reality that brain percieves, outside of life and death.

3. Shanna11 profile image77
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

I wake up still dreaming all the time- especially when I'm stressed. Last night I was up for two hours, wandering around my room, seeing everything visually but mentally convinced I was at work still. I knew what I was doing though-- I just couldn't stop it.

That's the mind telling you what is wrong with your life and how your world is affecting it's well being. Just a guess....

1. Shanna11 profile image77
        Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eh, I don't think so necessarily. I like my job-- I just don't handle stress and adrenaline well when I'm awake, so it comes out during the night.

Whatever stresses you are having are your's. Own your brain and mind, then said stresses will only be what you imagine them to be.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You both are describing what in Native American lore is called the Medicine Dream. It is (was) called other things in other cultures. In effect, it is walking upon the division between the negative and positive inner being. Both are you, and by standing exactly where you are standing within, you are beginning to perceive the full "You". The division line is the twilight zone which exists in all of us, between the darker self and the lighter self. It is part of the awakening which is now occurring. It is evidence that the Holy Spirit is walking among us as flesh. It is not Jesus, for he is the one who told us to expect another, and, what would happen when this other appeared. Me? I'm just a messenger...concentrate on the message.

My 'message' is telling me that I'm in my pajama pants at work, and that I don't know where the spoons go when I'm done washing them.

1. Druid Dude profile image60

Focus.

Focusing.... focusing.... AH! Got it! Spoons go in the second drawer down on the left hand side of the oven.

2. mischeviousme profile image61

I don't have a message, only my own perceptions. Whether or not my views are preconcieved remains to be seen, even by me.

Are they your own perceptions...I certainly don't see anything  "new" in what you say. To think that your perceptions are your exclusive property is just ego talking. If: God is the author of all things, good or evil, and the only truly evil thing which exists are the thoughts and deeds of man, then God is the author of your thoughts...and you own nothing.

The things I think I know, the feelings I think I feel and the experiences I think I have are but manifestations of my perception. If my mind comes from God, then I and the father are one.

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Sometimes, not often, I can know, in my dream, that I need to wake myself up because of the perceived danger of which I'm dreaming. I know in my dream that, if I close my eyes, I'll wake up.

We are most aware when we are in the depths of emotion, if even we are only aware of ourselve's.

Jesus said: You are all gods. You are in the universe and the universe is in you. The light of God shines from out of your eyes. The universe part I threw in, he said the same thing but with different wordage. Jesus had a Medicine Dream, in the wilderness after the Jordan River and his cousin John the Baptist.

Nothing supernatural about any of this...it is part of the human experience. Preparation for what's coming next.

And the next moment will continue to come to me, whether I am prepared or not.

You become a messenger... It is nice to know that total destruction is not eminent. Death is a material thing...you leave it behind...it, therefore loses it's meaning. No pain, no tears....but, this wouldn't have been done if that was the whole story. We are more than we seem. and consciousness can't be ruled out at any level. The next evolution...a Quantum Leap is on the horizon....it is about knowing your self completely. Hardest thing is to stop lying to yourself...and we do it a lot. Logic is needed, but so is emotion....we need control of our being. Then dreams become dreams again, and a deeper reality is realized. That is why I called my avatar Druid Dude. I have found the Holy Grail.

Some kind of Druid Dude, lifting the veil, some call it magic to search for the Grail....John Lennon "Mind Games"

1. profile image0

"Repetitive patterns. That was the first step. Understanding is about to take a Quantum Leap. Noetics is the key. Knowledge will increase, and the illusion we hold as reality will unfold and reveal a reality that is undeniable. Everyone is in for a big surprise. Can't reveal that part. I hate to ruin a surprise."

This is a quote from one of your Hubs, Dude.  Do you see it as applicable to this present discussion?

2. mischeviousme profile image61

Anyone that can look in and have an idea of what they are looking at, has found an aspect of God.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dude - I know this is true but I need to know chapter and verse where Jesus said this. It's important. Will you find it for me?

5. CHyNCHyN profile image60
    CHyNCHyNposted 12 years ago

It is only how we perceive.

perceptions can lie. couturepop, get a red letter addition which highlights what Jesus said. The "you are all gods" is in John.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)