A solution to gay marriage debate.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (19 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image59
    mio cidposted 12 years ago

I have a solution to the gay marriage debate.If you are a heterosexual, don't marry somebody of your same gender,trust me the gays won't come to your house and force you.At least they haven't in my case ,when me and my wife got married nobody tried to stop us.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

huh?..i don't get what you are saying...maybe my second cuppa coffee hasn't kicked in yet....

mio cidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well,in that case I don't think cofee will do it for you, if you want I'll walk you through the thought process step by step.some times I don't get what people are saying and I need it clarified to me.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now that just makes too much sense to work. smile

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is commonly known as "the right of association". This is an inherent property of the much more fundamental, inalienable "Right to Property".

You have a right to associate in any way with another voluntary individual. The state can only prevent this right through the use of force and tyranny.

This is the fundamental problem with democratic republics: the real problem is the usage of force, but we sit around blaming each other for the tyranny that those in power force upon us.

Ron Paul fully supports getting government COMPLETELY out of the marriage debate.

i believe we are always blaming everything on those in power while we are the ones who put them in power.we can't claim ignorance anymore everything is out there for everyone to see if we bother to look.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

I've heard you argue against the right to free association. I would love to see you be more consistent.

can you tell me in what way I argue against free association ?

If I own a restaurant, do you think I should be allowed to keep asians out of my restaurant?

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would that mean that a Justice of the Peace would no longer marry anyone at all?  Church weddings only?

Or that a JP would marry any couple wanting to be married? 

Would Paul's idea of government recognize such things as spousal next of kin or community property?  If so, would it include gay couples or just heterosexual couples?  What about spousal inheritance - hetero spouses only or include gay spouses?  Or none at all without a will?

Marriages are marriages: they have nothing to do with government.

Inheritance should be handled through wills and the sort.

I have no idea what you're talking about with "community property" and the sort, but it could easily be taken care of with a simple well-documented sheet of paper.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I deduce that Paul would require that anyone wanting to get married go to their church to have it done.  Atheists need not apply.

And that if you don't pay a lawyer to fill out papers acceptable to the government that your spouse can't keep the things that jointly belong to the couple when one dies.

Community property: property owned by a married couple.  It could be a house, a car or a cooking pot.  What one owns the other owns and if divorced a couple must share equally.  I assume that Paul would give it all to the spouse earning the higher income as their money was used to purchase it.

Sorry - govt is intimately involved dozens if not hundreds of ways in marriage contracts, and it must be.  Without govt intervention female homemakers will go back to being second class citizens with no rights.

4. ib radmasters profile image60
      ib radmastersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If your a homosexual then don't use marriage to validate your lifestyle.
      Focus on moving the law to capture all the legal aspects of the marriage contract and put it into Civil Union.

Same sex marriages don't help gays and lesbians that don't want to be married but want to have the legal advantages of marriage.

Marriage is an implied contract with very little definition so the rights are very minimal. Filing as married on your taxes could be changed with the same energy the proposition 8 in California is being attacked.

A legal contract and Civil Union would be legally far superior to marriage. It would also be a big advantage when the union is to be broken. It then becomes a contract issue and makes it easier to adjudicate that divorce.

Same sex marriage leaves behind without protection all the couples that don't want marriage and that includes both hetero and homo couples.

BTW, the divorce laws don't fairly work for the heterosexuals and would hardly work for the homosexuals.

This response is not accurate, for a time there was a chance a settlement on this issue could have been reached with a compromise and have called it something other than marriage, but the righties tried to be smart and shortchange the gay community by determining that the status and benefits of for example, civil unions were inferior and not exactly the same as married couples, so at this point that train has left the station and eventually there will be same sex marriage in a year or a decade, because the wheels of history don't turn backwards.

2. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 12 years ago

I may be old and getting senile, but this is the dumbest argument i have seen in MY life time.  Our constitution (declaration of independence) guarantees these basic rights of all Americans: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.-- ".   There are no provisions that state these rights are only for the heterosexual conservative religious factors.  When we start making laws that blatantly discriminate against ANY minority we are in big trouble.  Radicals argue "the majority rules", but this does not include passing legislation that discriminates.  Why are we even having this discussion on a National level?

We are having this discussion because the republicans had bet all their chips on a continuing malaise and as  that issue is slowly vanishing today they turn to the old tried and true politics of division.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly right.  Unfortunately for them, they're losing moderate independents who would prefer not to revert to the 1950s.

It's apparent they decided to trade the big tent party for a little sleeping bag.

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

This is going to be one of those debates people like me (who are young) look back on when we are old and just shake our heads about.  Daddy, did people actually oppose equal rights for homosexuals?  Yes son, they did..."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)