Can you impart any make-up tips that you know by heart?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. thesingernurse profile image73
    thesingernurseposted 12 years ago

Do you know of any techniques that do wonders?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like to apply foundation with an artists brush (1" oval wash brush).  It's the brush that is flat but has a rounded cut top.  Apply your moisturizer and eye cream with the brush.  The residue left on the brush will mix with your foundation and concealer and will go on very smoothly.  It keeps your hands from absorbing all the product.  You end up using less.  Don't swipe it on, just sort of dab it until you get the coverage you need.

Another trick is in the way you can apply undereye concealer.  For us older gals, if you want your eyes to appear more uplifted and youthful, apply concealer at the outer corner of the eye and sheer it out to open them up. 

A white pencil, the kind they make for the inside of your lower lid, I use as a lip liner before I put my lipstick on.  It lightens the line between lips and skin and makes the lips look fuller.

For a healthy daytime look, apply light blush to the cheeks and stroke down and out toward the jaw instead of up along the cheekbone.  You probably know the evening look, shader sculpted into the hollow of the cheek for drama and a tiny dab of brightener at the top of the cheeks for a Really dressy look.

Another good one is something bright like an iridescent cream highlighter right in the center of your upper eyelid.  People will unconsciously be drawn to your eyes.

2. thesingernurse profile image73
      thesingernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much girls! I learned a lot. smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've written a hub titled Professional Makeup Application Tecniques for the Non Professional.

3. MakeUpByObie profile image61
      MakeUpByObieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Use a stippling brush to apply liquid foundation, an angled face brush, or your fingers (just wash them before applying foundation).  All makeup application on the eyes is all about using the appropriate brush.  MAC makes great brushes but a cheaper alternative would be Sigma brushes or EcoTools.  Sigma brushes can be found on their website and EcoTools can be found at Ulta or even a Claire's or Icing.

4. MakeUpByObie profile image61
      MakeUpByObieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to add another thing I like telling people. If your using a cream eye shadow, always apply a primer, apply the cream shadow, and then apply a similar powder shadow on top to prevent creasing. Hope this helps! Message me if you want anymore tips:)

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Sure... Why Not?  yikes

I've found at this time of year:

If Santa doesn't space us properly in the Reindeer harnesses, I end up with my nose in Prancer's business and it doesn't matter what foundation I use.. that stuff just doesn't stick at speed! sad

So quite by chance (well actually during deliveries and while my nose was in Prancer's business) after a collision with a chimney.. I found that soot really does bring out the natural color of my eyes! smile

Glad I could help and I hope that my experience can show people that it doesn't matter how crappy you think your day is - Nothing compares to having your nose up a Reindeer's butt! sad  (at any speed!)

3. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Less is more.

4. rbe0 profile image59
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Wearing none at all is the best imo.

5. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

What kind of look are you aiming for?

1. thesingernurse profile image73
      thesingernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something you can wear almost eveyday - at work, parties, or formal functions... Is there such thing as an all-occasion make-up style?

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Use lip liner a shade darker than your lipstick.

Use a lighter shade of lipstick on your lower lip than your upper lip and apply a small amount of gloss only in the centre of your lower lip (as opposed to all over both lips).

7. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

Never forget to fill in/groom your eyebrows. They frame your face and make you look "finished".

8. Diana Grant profile image91
    Diana Grantposted 12 years ago

You don't need a mirror to put on lipstick - my mother taught me that and she is right - you KNOW where your mouth is so just do it gently and sparingly, and smack your lips together.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Mother taught me that too, but then in recent years they started saying that this is the wrong way to do it for several reasons, firstly because your bottom and top lips are different shapes, so doing this is not going to produce a good end result, secondly because, what happens to the lip liner if you do this?, and thirdly because the best way to apply lipstick is to use a darker tone on the top lip and a lighter tone on the bottom lip, therefore you don't want to mix these two shades. Having tried both ways over at least 22 years I would say the latter method does produce the better result, especially if you use a lip brush as opposed to using the lipstick itself to apply it. Again, a lip brush is more accurate, but a lipstick is far from precise when used as an applicator, plus any bacteria you leave on it from your lips are able to breed on the lipsitck, and then the decomposition of the fats within it sets in.

1. Diana Grant profile image91
        Diana Grantposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never knew it was so technical and complicated - I thought it was just "chuck a bit of slap on - do I look half-way decent? Fine, that's good enough!"
        I must try out darker lipstick on top.
        I hate using lipliner (although I have several), because my hand is not steady enough.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I know it does sound really technical, but it is amazing what a difference it makes. Lip liner is good because it not only defines your lips, but it stops the lipstick 'bleeding' into the tiny vertical lines we all have surrounding our lips. As for the darker shade of lipstick on top, I should add the difference should not be major, maybe just a few shades darker of a similar colour, e.g. use a darker pink on the top, and a lighter pink on the bottom, don't use red on top and pink on the bottom or it will look awful. A tiny blob of lip gloss in the middle of your bottom lip will add to the polished look and finish of the effect nicely.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)