At 102%, His Tax Rate Takes the Cake

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Those who are more knowledgeable than me (which is pretty much everyone smile ) can sort this one out...

"Yet Mr. Ross told me that he paid 102 percent of his taxable income in federal, state and local taxes for 2010. “My entire taxable income, plus some, went to the payment of taxes,” Mr. Ross said. “This does not include real estate taxes, sales taxes and other taxes I paid for 2010.” When he told friends and family, they were “astounded,” he said."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/102-tax-r … 10322.html

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

No response to this?

Is it true?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may not be true but it is right.  The only way he had money is because he had to take it from people poorer than him.  Isn't that how it works.  The poor people have all the money until somebody comes in and sneaks it out from under the floor boards and stashes it in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland.  If it wasn't for people who should be forced to pay 100% or more of that money back the poor would be trillionaires. Right?!?!

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Sounds true to me. Someone has to pay for America's wars. "U.S. Corporate Tax Rate Plunges To 40 Year Low Of 12.1%"

4. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

That's depressing.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Well, the article came from the NYT, so it must be true. That amount of taxes is ridiculous! We have to reform our tax code!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that we have the same opinion of NYT?

I'm actually, really curious here. smile

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a high opinion of the NYT, but most liberals do. I figured if the Times was reporting someone wealthy who pays A LOT of taxes, it has to be true.

So as the number of NYT subscriptions declines can we hope that one of two things is happening.  One, liberals are budgeting their declining incomes more carefully in order to help Mr. Get the Money Out of Politics raise a $BILLION for his re-election bid.  Two, and more desired, there are just that many fewer liberals.

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

If you subtract all your deductions from your gross income, you are left with your taxable income.  Then you pay the tax on THAT.

Mr. Ross is suggesting that he is paying 102% because he is comparing his taxes to his taxable income, rather than to his total income.

Due to the alternative minimum tax, I believe him when he says he is paying 102% of his taxable income.  But he is still paying less than his total income.

If it's true that people making over a million dollars get screwed like this, that is contrary to all the problems that are known about the tax codes.

As far as I understand it, people in that high income range take advantage of many loopholes that help them legally avoid many taxes. So this story just doesn't make sense.

I'd like to see an accountant chime in on this thread, and see what he or she says. Any accountants out there?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something I just want to point out. People always talk about the rich taking advantage of loopholes, but those 'loopholes' are no different than middle-class Americans itemizing deductions, or lower-income people getting $4,000+ of EIC.

I'm tired of seeing the double standard where the rich are crucified for 'taking advantage' of the tax code, when some people make more on their returns than in a year of working by 'taking advantage' of the tax code.

If Democrats despise "loopholes" so much why do all of them seem to take full advantage there of.  Also why do they act as if these same disgusting "loopholes" just spontaneously generate from piles of money.  The majority of the tax code has been written and re-written by the Democrats in Congress.  Tax simplification was the cry of Republicans as far back as Phil Graham and Dick Armey - who by the way authored one of the most equitable flat tax programs for the working poor one could imagine - killed by Democrats and weak Republicans.

1. profile image0

It is ridiculous. There is no good reason for things to be as complicated as they are, unless it is to keep the lawyers and politicians employed.

Tax reform, budget reform(no more automatic increase), reduce government... we've got a lot of work to do.

DING!DING!DING!DING!

And what has he won, Johnny Donovan?

A NEW CAR!!!!!!  and a life time supply of rice a roni, the San Francisco treat.

Government exists for several purposes not the least of which is to eat the economy and get bigger.  Government exists for those in it.  This is the way governments have always been and will always be.  That is precisely why we have a Constitution.  You remember that document, the one politicians, lawyers, judges, journalists regularly wipe themselves with and we refuse to rise up and return to its place of reverence.

1. profile image0

Wait... are you saying that the foundation of one of the greatest nations in history should be regarded as... I don't know... maybe a good thing?

hmm

I am saying there is no set of secular documents that should ever be held in higher regard than the foundational documents of The United States.  Sure all the others can love their Magna Cartas and all but those didn't lead to the most sustained expansion of prosperity and liberty the world has ever seen.  One event triggered that change, the American Revolution.

Yess, Yess, it was built on the Enlightenment but where that led to the guillotine, the American Revolution led to the "liberal" revolutions in the 19th century that restrained and rewrote the monarchical systems, relationships and powers all over the world.

Thanks Montesquieu, Locke, Burke, etc... nice ground work but you didn't quite get the foundation laid.  That took Americans.

7. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Wasn't it you guys who shouted "No Taxation without representation" well I guess the greater American public are now tax slaves to a much more elite group than King George represented!

Income tax is the wrong way to go, all taxation switched to purchase tax, with variable rates to account for basic good to luxury items is the way to raise taxation.

Legislation to tax assets transferred offshore would deal with the problem.

Just a thought.

8. Teylina profile image61
    Teylinaposted 12 years ago

I know less than you about taxes and skipped reading comments because no point. I still wouldn't get it. However, may get my genius financial-genius daughter to look at this out of curiosity. If she has anything to offer besides those offered when you wrote, she can do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)