Post Partum Depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. hinckles koma profile image59
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Did anybody go through this and don't mind sharing.  I went through this and i was not myself.  How to beat it and what are the real symptoms?  iam ready to talk, are you?  Guess not.

<Topic moved - please start topics in the appropriate Topic Forum>

1. Mekenzie profile image78
      Mekenzieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did go through it and wrote a hub after being inspired by reading your hub: Here is my Hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/PostPartum-Depession

2. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you discussed your feelings with your family and family Dr.?
      Do these help big_smile..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2p4x-nWTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EJtkUbSxs

1. sideeffects profile image61
        sideeffectsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depression is a very serious thing. Read about http://effexorside-effects.com/ before taking Effexor or any other depression drugs.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hello hinckles koma,

I saw your post in the unanswered category, and wanted to see what you said about it, relative to your headline.

I know, that might sound foolish, but it's the truth.

I know a lot of people who suffer from depression, all kinds. And, I am not a firm believer in the diagnosis.

Any form of depression is an imbalance in your mind. Your mind is an object that you can control. If you're unable to control your mind, then you have a weak will.

Your ability to cope with a situation is directly cause by your inability to believe in yourself, regardless of what made you depressed, to begin with.

Yes, your body is going to give you obstacles, only because your mind reacts negatively to things that stress or pressure your consciousness. Anything weighing on your consciousness is going to weigh on your body. If you LET it get the best of you, then you're forced to seek medical assistance, which at best- is only a band-aid, masking the real problem.

Your inability to control your mind.

Hopefully I didn't offend you, but it's the truth.

1. DIY Better Health profile image59
      DIY Better Healthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depression - post partum or for what ever reason is not something you can control by will power.

Feeling the blues may be!!  Your thinking is pessimistic & you can't quite get your head around it.  Mood drops & you feel depressed.  I am talked depressed not depression here with this paragraph.

You have a chance of doing something with a low mood.  Go for a walk, talk it out, gather your thoughts together & develop a strategy out of your problem or what ever it is that has upset you or made you feel this way!

Depression is so much more involved, excruciating & not something you can just do & make it all better.

Depression is a result of not the Mind only (thoughts creating feelings)  But CHEMICALS - Brain chemicals are the problem here.

Totally Different - Totally overwhelming & crucial to reach out and get help early in the piece before the depression is overwhelming. 

Our bodies, brain etc all function via electric impulses & chemical reactions. 

After a various situations such as Massive Hormonal changes of pregnancy & birth or ongoing distressing circumstances / major health problems etc.

These chemicals may slowly change.  Imagine a coffee machine.  Put in $2.00 and get a white coffee, 2 sugars.  or however you may prefer it. 

When the coffee machine isn't configured correctly there is a communication breakdown. 

It may add 6 scoops of coffee instead of 1 - it may add no sugar instead of 2 and it may forget the milk altogether. 

You will not like it - It is not how you have your coffee & it is not what you ordered it is totally unfamiliar to your personal taste & it you may want to kick the machine because it wasted your money. 

Your brain chemistry should be producing & transporting feel good chemicals regularly.  When it isn't producing what it should be you do not feel as happy as usual.  Life begins to get you down.  Things that would normally give you enjoyment - minus the feel good chemicals man, they are not going to do much for you.  We are chemically designed like it or not. 

Hinknles if you are feeling something like I have described here.  It may be a few simple adjustments to get you back on track.   

Do not go it alone.  Discuss it with loved ones, explain it to a doctor & then consider what options you may be presented with. 

You will work through this - because you have reached out ready to share your feelings - Do not please ignore it! 

Cagsil I get where you are coming from.  In the first instance I stated where you can feel low & have the option of doing something about it.  That is thought based / circumstance only not chemical mix gone mad. 

I almost didn't survive a massive Depressive episode because i thought what you have expressed.  Get it together, get on top of your thoughts, wake up, do something anything but fix it. 

You can't!!!  In most cases clinical/chemical depression won't respond to will power because the chemicals don't let it work. 

Please be very careful that your words don't cause someone to give up when they are unable to will it right!!  Not weak - Malfunctioning. 

It is sooooo important that we share thoughts on subjects like this but please remember always that when you are speaking with someone about a severe depression - They are already on the verge of giving up.  Don't help them Give Up!!!

I hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes but trust me the amount of times I have had others give advice on this subject that have not experienced more than period blues - would have killed me a thousand times should I not have reached out for help. 

Act wisely, You will make it sweety.  Look forward to hearing that you feel yourself again.

2. Sandy Thorn profile image60
      Sandy Thornposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To Cagsil:  This answer to a question about depression really bothers me.  Yes, the mind does affect the body, but it is also possible for the brain to be malfunctioning due to many factors that have nothing to do with will. 

It is irresponsible to suggest that all depression can be cured by will, just as it would be irresponsible to suggest that a heart defect could be cured by will.

To hinckles koma:  I hope you will listen to the other hubbers here who are giving you some good advice, particularly Mekenzie.

Sandy

3. JennTellsAll profile image61
    JennTellsAllposted 14 years ago

I had a baby three months ago, this is my fifth child and I never thought I would have the baby blues. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to say something. There is the fear that in some way you have failed as a mother, wife etc.

I was so sad, I would hear my baby  cry and I would cry as I was overwhelmed , and was questioning my bringing this child into the world. I have four boys and I wanted so badly a little girl yet I was sad when she was born.

I remember thinking I need to say something and I did , my doctor gave a prescription, I swallowed my pride and went forward and received the help. I am so grateful that I found the resources and strength to fight.

I too felt that I could not admit to this , as I am mother of five and I need to always have it together. I was wrong this is normal, and asking for help can be the most courageous thing one can do.

4. Mekenzie profile image78
    Mekenzieposted 14 years ago

There is an answer to Post Partum Depression and it is NOT will power - believe me.  I had to go through the Mayo Clinic to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.  Anyone suffering with Post Partum or Premenstrual Syndrome needs to know that it is hormonal.  It is NOT in your head - it is an endocrine dysfunction that can throw you for a loop.  Once the hormones get back in balance - you get your life back... those of you with these conditions know exactly what I mean.  Here is a website of Women's International Pharmacy.  It is a compounding pharmacy that uses natural (soy beans and yams) ingredients to produce progesterone that your body will accept and absorb.  http://www.womensinternational.com/  I suggest you call and talk to a pharmacist at Women’s International about your situation.  They have a list of physicians all over the U.S. who understand hormonal imbalance and the use of natural hormones.  I used to teach classes with the assistance of Psychologists, Physicians, and Dieticians trying to get the word out.  Thanks for the opportunity to help get the word out here.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I had given birth and I was really thanksful i never experience this post partum depression, but I am feeling for you all newly mother out there, just hang on and have proper diagnoses

6. karmicfilly profile image67
    karmicfillyposted 14 years ago

Even though it has been more than 17 years ago I remember my postpartum depression like it was yesterday.  I was so happy, a little tired, near the end of my pregnancy.  What I didn't expect to have happen was that I would be so sad I could not care for myself let alone an infant.

My daughter was so sweet and tiny and I could not muster even the happiest of feelings for her.  I wasn't even sure I wanted her right then.  My hormones and body was so confused that I was not thinking straight.

I honestly understand how some women harm their newborns under these conditions.  I chose to not have more children because of this feeling. 

I had to have someone with me almost all the time.  They put the baby monitor on me not the baby.  It took until almost 3 months when I knew that I loved my baby and my mood started to shift.

Guess it didn't help that I had thrush in my milk ducts and nursing was like having an ice pick shoved into my back each time.  Do I regret any of it, never.  My daughter is now 17 years of age and my greatest gift in this life time.

7. rosariomontenegro profile image68
    rosariomontenegroposted 14 years ago

I had post partum depression. Actually I should say, post breastfeeding depression. One morning I just stayed in bed. My baby was waiting for me and I just couldn't move from bed. Happily my mother in law was also my neighbor and happened to come in that morning, which usually she wouldn't do.
    I don't remember much of it, after all it happened more than 35 years ago. But I can tell you how I got out of it.

A friend of mine gave me the telephone of a Vietnamese acupuncture doctor. I remember going to his place, it took me three different trains in the subway. In those years acupuncture was quite rare, so I was quite skeptic, but for some reason I preferred to go see him rather than a medical doctor.
    I congratulate myself for that.

When I was lying there, and he was going to start putting his long, golden thin needles on me, I looked at him and told him: "What if I don't believe in this?". And he answered: "Madame, this is not a religion".
    I didn´t feel anything that I can remember, his touch was so exceedingly fine, it didn't hurt, but I was still doubtful about the results. Then I left and started walking towards the subway station and halfway to it I realized that the bad cold I had (and wasn't paying attention to, only focused on the hurting of depression) had disappeared.
    Three weeks later I wasn't able to remember what that depression thing had been about. It had disappeared too.
    I remember that doctor with great gratitude and affection.

Therefore I would advice acupuncture for any form of depression, before starting on the pharmaceutical drugs. Not the modern mass-acupuncture with electricity that you can find in any Chinatown around the country. Go to a traditional doctor that follows and knows the old ways. It won't hurt to try, and it could save a lot of pain.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)