Evaluate this statement.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

The more certainly we can know something, and the more easily we can prove it, the less important it is.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Meh... I'd say the more one understands the less time they have to spend figuring it out. If it can't be logically explained, as it is in a classroom, then it could take forever. However, if one is smart, things that can't be logically explained become fairy tales.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

those things are less controversial, perhaps less exciting and there are no challenges in proving them. We like to talk about things which are debatable in which our minds are like being masturbated, something like that. Ego big_smile

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing you know or can prove is less important than anything else in which you learn. It's all equally valuable.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you are back Cags, I miss you here!

2. jennzie profile image72
        jennzieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Cagsil. Knowing that 2 +2=4 is information that is just as valuable to know as knowing the number of atoms in a drop of water (though I can't say that I know that answer myself big_smile).

4. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When one is totally unaware of a particular thing he is at rest...
      This unawareness is called death or sleep.

When one is totally aware of a thing he again is at rest. This rest is called faith.

Agitation comes when one is partially aware of a thing...this agitation is called fear.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
        oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agitation and fear can make people lash out, when they don't face the fear or thing causing the agitation head on.   Not facing fears of the unknown, or not wanting the unknown to be true (as in denial of a cancer, say..), does not help alleviate the agitation or fear.  A lot involves personal choice, and being able to accept reality no matter what it may mean or how much we want it to be true or not.

5. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would have to evaluate that as nonsense.

6. jacharless profile image76
      jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The more certain we can know something ? This is the NTK Syndication at work. Why? Briefly: all necessary knowledge is genetically programmed into the human brain. It is the output of those strands of information that cause one to even consider excess or lack of -and continues to keep an individual a slave to that processor of information.

The more we can prove something ... less important it becomes?
      Perhaps what is being explained is the thread of information goes dormant, is dissolved back into the place it came, since it cannot produce further remark or add further units of information to it.

James

7. oceansnsunsets profile image83

I think I would have to know what you meant by "less important", and in what sense.  (Which sounds hard to define.)  Also, when you say something, does that mean all things are included in that?  Very open ended, and a little vague, at least for me.

8. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. Utterly wrong.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I don't know. I know I need air to breath.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, but is the knowledge of that crucial? Save perhaps for when you're given a choice between air and water.

A good example of what I'm talking about is gravity. Gravity itself is important and easily
      proven, and understanding it has led to many advances, but on the other hand, the modern and most accurate concept of gravity has only existed for 300 and some-odd years, a drop in the ocean of human history. We were getting on fine before then. Well, as fine as humanity ever has.

And most of us don't consciously apply gravity in our everyday lives. Our reflexes save us from most of the negative consequences of ignoring its existence.

Maybe what I should have said is, it's less important to know and think about the more obvious it is. Maybe that in itself is obvious. Maybe I shouldn't try to be philosophical this close to the end of the work week.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I one what you meant. smile  But, I don't think I necessarily agree. I don't think the unknown is important. I think it piques our curiosity.  They aren't the same.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83

The unknown, can actually be of the utmost importance, even to our very survival.  That has been the case since the beginning of time for humanity.  The example of gravity, its truthfulness, or how our blood works, is made, and pumps through our bodies, actually means our survival or not. 

Talking about this in this way, helps to understand a bit more where Eric might be coming from, at least for me.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Eric, in the case of gravity, the way I kind of look at it is that its an example of something that is 100% true, and critical to our survival, REGARDLESS of if we give it a second thought or not. 

It is part of a working world, that we need not have the proof of, or be convinced of 100%, for it to be critical to our being able to "work or live" on this planet.  I think its an example of many other things as well, that are 100% true regardless of whether or not we acknowledge them, see and understand them, or care about even.  We can deny gravity till the cows come home if we wanted to, and just assert things about it.  It won't change the actual facts though, of how it is so much a part of our lives.

The cool thing is, we can learn about it, research it, test it, see if the idea seems reasonable, lol, etc. Does gravity explain a lot of what we see?  Yes.  Did it have to be understood and explained fully and proven, for it to be 100% true and part of our lives?  No....

3. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

This is how I know that the existence or non-existence of God changes absolutely nothing.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then it's all an individual pipe dream, this "hope" thing some talk about.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Druid, what do you mean by "this", there?  What is it you are knowing exactly, and how, since you seem so sure?

4. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 12 years ago

I was going to reference oxygen and gravity but I see they've already been mentioned, lol. But in a nutshell I think the determination of importance is a relevant thing. A lot of people have searched all their lives for the meaning of love and a few of us have, we believe, been fortunate enough to have an epiphany. Yet love remains just as important to us, perhaps even more so with each passing day. And so I'd have to say I do not think the significance of anything can be determined by whether that thing possesses a mystique or is as rationally explainable by every scientific gauge known to man. The true importance of anything is determinable only by how valuable it is to the individual man (or woman).

This is my two cents on the subject anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)