Have you successfully gotten off your medication after diagnosis

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

Being diagnosed is putting a label on someone and lowering their
    self esteem. It can be very damaging.

I was on Lithium for 20 yrs. It numbed my mind and body to a degree.

Since I got off it 5 mo ago, I am no longer rageful or sucidal.
    Fact is, if you research, medications ,many, cause these unfortunate side effects leaving one to wonder if any med is good at all.

If you're in the situation where you're unsure of it, read "Your drug may be your problem" by Peter Breggin (M.D.) He started a group called the 'conscience of psychiatry' and is one of the few I know of who truly cares to do the research.

He stated in his book many things including:

--biochemical imbalance is Not proven. (This is true in psychiatric manuals.)
    --meds dull the mind and make the person indecisive and poor memory and hard to decide to stay on meds or not.

Don't get me wrong, you may need meds right now and certainly do not make any move to get off abruptly or you would have serious effects- life threatneing even.

But my question is, "Do any of you know someone or have you yourself done this, and how did you feel after?"

I'm just curious.

thanks !

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do know one person who came off lithium several times.  He did feel much better when he was off his meds.  While he wasn't rageful or suicidal, he certainly wasn't mentally stable while off his meds and his family found it very difficult to cope with - but he didn't seem to be aware how hard he was to live with.

Not saying that applies to you, but I think we're not always the best judge of whether we're well or not.

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My mom told me yesterday how much I have improved so I know I'm better but I want to think of the other meds possibly too, thanks smile

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I know of no one who, aside from you would has done it.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and never been on any medication for any extended period. I have had numerous drugs administered to me for various reasons, but all temporary.

But, every other person I know on a personal level has not gotten off the medication they were put on for their various reasons.

Congrats to you for doing it! smile big_smile

Thank you very much Ray, I appreciate that! smile I could comment further but for now, this is all I need to say. Thank you!!!

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I know of people on both sides.
      Peope who took themselves off their meds and swear they feel better than ever au naturel.

And people who categorically did not want to be on any meds but found that without them they simply could not function, so they "gave in" and went on them and are doing better now.

3. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years ago

I have been free of medicine for almost 10 years. I was on multiple bi polar meds from 13 to 19. At 19 I decided I was done. It took almost 2 years to learn to cope without them fully, but it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I now embrace the racing thoughts! I spent a lot of time reading and learning what things to do or not do. Also learning what works for me. I do however drink 2 shots of alcohol nightly to get to sleep, but that is better for the body than all the pills. At one point I used Marijuana to sleep but now I have 3 children and the risk doesn't outweigh the benefit so I don't smoke anymore. All I have to do is hear the 30 second clip they do at the end of their ads that say "could cause death" and it's a good enough reason for me not to take it!

that's very good to know, I'm grateful for you sharing. Thank you!
        smile
        I am on my own little journey right now
        but good for you.

4. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years ago

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I refused to take the drugs. I was able to reverse the disease with diet and exercise. My blood sugar and A1C are completely normal now, and my doc has applauded and supported my efforts. I wrote a hub about it!

I still take meds for acid reflux and nerve pain, and I can't manage without them.

Thank you for your input, habee, that's great you did that! I lost weight and cut my cholesterol in half. you were very wise.

Thanks for sharing! smile

5. angie ashbourne profile image60
      angie ashbourneposted 11 years ago

Hi! I have been on Lithium for 25 years, my problem is weight gain ++++. 2011 - with the help of my doctor, I can off Lithium and in one month, I lost 10 pounds but I had a very bad "manic high"......I went back on Lithium and weight came back. 

My weight is back but Lithium helps me live a normal life.

The Serenity Prayer:
      God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference. Angie

angie, try Lamictal. I started it like 2yrs ago (along w/ the lithim i was on.) In like a year or so, doc lowerd my lithium in half. I actually had no diareeah for first time in years and didn't know lithium caused it.

Try that. Lamictal. It's a mood stabilizer and it works very well.

6. profile image0
      lambservantposted 11 years ago

I could not tolerate lithium, so was only on it for a week or so. I know of no one else who has gone off lithium, let alone do it successfully.

It's very good you are not on it anymore if you were suicidal and angry. Are you on on meds now? Or is it just that you had to switch to another medication? I have read up a bit on Lithium and it does at this time seem to have some problems with it. For years, that's all there was for people wit Bipolar.

It bothers me some being on meds because I know there hasn't been enough years gone by to know if there is long-term damage by them. Some experts say the meds cause certain problems like memory loss etc. but depression and other mental illnesses have those symptoms too. I think as research continues there will be more clarity on that.

I found Breggin on Youtube and found his statements interesting. However, I only listened to a short blurb. He said a few things I did not agree with, but most of it I did. I read a book by a psychiatrist called "Why am I still depressed?" I don't like the title because it doesn't fit the book. But the book emphasized strongly that people with Bipolar should not be on antidepressants as it can put them into mania or cause those suicidal ideations. I have yet to have one of my doctors agree. But I think Breggin is on to that.

So, how are your moods swings? Much love, Lambservant

Lamictal replace Lithium over time as I told angie above. After a year or so of lamictal doc told me to cut lithium in half. Many mo later, doc told me to get off it. Now I feel 100% better as far as not feeling numb, and still experience the same behaviours I've always had - not worse- regarding mood and as far as doing stupid things, I'm just more aware. If that makes sense. I think my moods are better than ever or much better than they were,  But otherwise I have no more mania or depression than before, in fact it's much less....I feel so much better, I'm not irritable everyday, only usually before my period! lol wink smile lol

I give God credit cause I prayed about it alot. I told the whole story in one of my hubs how it happened miraculously. I forget the title. tell you more later how my prayers were answered.

I'm on lamictal the mood stabilizer, a anti anxiety med and one that helps me sleep.

Lamictal is the new "lithium" w/ no side effects except rare deadly rash.

Long term effects from meds are proven that's why it's so hard to get off, like getting off an illegal drug say heroin, though that may not be a good example. You feel awful withdrawl.

xo
        Dr Breggin is my hero!! love him.
        Love you too!

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

I have a new hub I'd like to share with you lambservant. ttyl

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)