Unjustly accused of plagiarism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 11 years ago

I just received an email from Hub pages accusing me of plagiarism.  They have unpublished one of my hubs.  That hub is entirely my own work based on my experience as a Master Gardener.  I also work in a botanical garden.  I have a TON of gardening knowledge that I am sharing on Hub pages.  Do I have any recourse?  How can I get them to show me the source of their accusation?  the article was published a couple of days ago.  Perhaps someone has stolen it and is claiming it is theirs.  What can I do to get my hub published again?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i'd email them...no doubt, it's a mistake if it is your work

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They didn't accuse you of plagiarism - they said it was a duplicate of something else on the web.

Have you posted major portions of the hub somewhere else?  Have you copied large portions from another site as a reference?  Or, as you say, perhaps it has been stolen - HP is pretty good at detecting which one is original, but they are not perfect.

Using other sources as reference often gets hubbers in trouble; one of the more common problems are hubs with large areas of biblical quotes.  They are duplicate of material elsewhere, even though obviously quotes.  Hubbers often post a hub in several places as well - they are obviously duplicates even though owned by one person.

To find the duplicate, copy a paragraph or so, paste in into google and search for it.  Duplicates will almost always show up that way. 

What is the title of the hub?  Not the URL, just the title?

3. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a follow-up to my original post - I emailed the Hub Pages Team and explained what happened and that I had deleted all of the Hubs on Writing.com.  Just a few hours later, they emailed me back that my Hub had been re-published and I was in good standing again.  WOW!!  That's just incredibly fast and responsive!  I truly thought that I was going to be fighting this for weeks.  I originally joined Hub Pages 5 years ago, wrote a few Hubs and then left as I'm sure many people do.  I'm back now and what a difference 5 years makes.  It's a whole new site, so positive and supportive.  I'm a Hubber for life now.

1. wilderness profile image95

That's great that it was solved so easily and quickly.

And welcome back to HP.  Yes, it's changed and there are lots of new rules that you probably aren't aware of.  It might be wise to read through the learning center and see what else you might be in violation of - Panda brought about many changes here in their effort to recover.  There have been quite a few senior hubbers caught up in new rules that they had never seen before.

2. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 11 years ago

The title is "Why Did My Lilac Stop Blooming?".  And I just realized that I use my account with Writing.com as a backup for all of my writing so I've been putting copies of my hubs there.  It has never been a problem before.  I'm "hiding" them now so they shouldn't come up in any search engines.  Now, how do I get my hub re-published?

1. wilderness profile image95

So you plagiarized yourself! big_smile

You're not the first to make that mistake, though.  So many insist that because they own both copies they are not copies somehow - you're easy in that regard.

Republishing; if they are truly hidden (equivalent of an HP "unpublished" hub, maybe) then when the google cache is empty you can request that the hubs be re-published.  Or you can write to HP and request review, though I doubt it will help if that cache is still available.

To speed up the process (it can take 2 weeks or more) you can request google de-index the copies via webmaster tools, but other SE's won't be so easy and I know of no quick method there.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

From "Herbs For Shade":
    "Taragon is another of the fines herbes. Be very careful when purchasing tarragon. Make sure that you are getting French Taragon (Artemisia dracunculus ‘sativa’) and not Russian Taragon (Artemisia dracunuculus dracunculoides) which has no scent or flavor."   and:

"Mints come in a seemingly endless variety. For cooking, use spearmint. Peppermint is used as a tea for indigestion. As a chocolate lover, I always have chocolate mint in my garden. It smells like peppermint patties! Other kinds of mint include orange mint, pineapple mint, apple mint and banana"

From a google search, showing Writing.com as the source:

"Not everyone's first love can bloom to its full beauty. It may be nipped ... Be very careful when purchasing tarragon. Make sure that you are getting French Taragon (Artemisia dracunculus 'sativa') and not Russian Taragon (Artemisia dracunuculus dracunculoides) which has no scent or flavor.   and:

"Mints come in a seemingly endless variety. ... Peppermint is used as a tea for indigestion. As a chocolate lover, I always have chocolate mint in my garden. ... Other kinds of mint include orange mint, pineapple mint, apple mint and banana ..." 

I suspect there is much more.  Is this the problem?

*edit*  I see you beat me to the answer - this is redundant, then.

1. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And it's supposed to be tarragon each time. Sorry, I can't help myself.

4. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

You can down load this <link snipped>  its free and it points out what parts of your article is duplicated.  I have an article that tells you how to use the software just for that purpose it also has a lot of cool features.

I use this tool mainly for rewrites.  You might can use this tool in the future.  If you have found the source of where your article is duplicated you can paste your article and the source into the two windows and it will tell you where its duplicated in the article.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This software doesn't check for duplicate content. It assists in spinning content.

1. tamron profile image66
        tamronposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No it doesn't go and look at my article it tells you how to use it.  Flagged for Duplicated Content.  It also tells you if you are stuffing keywords or don't have enough keywords.
        I got a buzz tonight excuse me.

Its really for rewrites but you can use it to find what parts of your content is duplicated.  If you would just listen!

1. tamron profile image66
          tamronposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am going to check it my self.  I don't understand what you mean. You are right it is suppose to be for rewrites(correct)what I am telling you it shows you where the duplicated content is Read my article!  You will understand if not contact me I will help you.

5. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

This is an easy way to check for duplicates that may be out there.
    http://www.copyscape.com/

Not saying it is 100% as I do not have that much experience of checking other people's work, only my own.  Another way is to do the search on Google using a sentence marked up with " marks.

It is easy to get confused when you move content about, so it is useful to have a way of checking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)