I Mean Seriously HubPages!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Misbah786 profile image86
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

So, they claim that my poem is a duplicate content. HubPages, are you serious?
    I hope no one on the internet is taking and stealing my fantasies and creative ideas. Nobody has a cable attached to my brain. The only thing is that I put a quote in a callout capsule and the poem was about 260 words in length. It must not be flagged for duplication. It's quite aggravating! hmm

1. Carola Finch profile image91
      Carola Finchposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Do not worry about this.  Hubs get plagiarized all the time.  I got about five flagged on my list right now.  Go to your My Accounts page and click on "copied articles."  You will see instructions as to how to file a DMCA complaint.  Articles will be marked with a copyright sign on our My Accounts page.  Also, if you click on the "author view" you will also see a notice that your hub may have been stolen.  HubPages does these alerts to help us to identify and deal with copyright violations of our work.  It is a good thing.

Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

No I just published it about 8 hours ago, it passed the QAP and was scored, and then I received an email about an hour ago saying it is duplicate material. This is annoying. They have an automatic computer system that checks for duplication, but I believe it must be reviewed by a human before they unpublish it . smile

1. tsmog profile image85
          tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is off topic . . . you did receive a score? I published a poem 1/26. It has been moved to Discover, but yet has received a score. Can you share HP email so I can inquire why. Thanking you in  advance.

Yes, I received a score. This is the second time they've done something like this to me. They did it once with my article about the meanings of Allah's names. They scored it, and the next day they inform me that the article has been removed due to duplicate content; however, after sending them an email, they published it back.

The editors at HP never respond. So I always send emails to the team, and it's usually Matt who responds from there. Here's the email: team@hubpages.com

But if you want you can also try sending an email to the editors:  editors@hubpages.com

Hope it helps smile

Blessings always!!

1. tsmog profile image85
              tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misbah! I sent an inquiry email and will hopefully find out what is up with it.

No problem smile

Best wishes!!

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
        MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just wish we could get results from filing DMCAs. I don't even worry about them anymore. I have one article that's been stolen and published on several different sites, both in part and in its entirety without my byline. DMCAs, nothing, nada.

It rarely helps, Ms Doris, but in my case, HP is removing my original article.That’s very very annoying hmm neutral

2. letstalkabouteduc profile image96
      letstalkabouteducposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Misbah, I also just received a short and rather rude notice that I was trying to publish a duplicated article. I've been writing here for seven years and have never gotten such a warning. The article has not been published elsewhere and I certainly didn't plagiarize any portion of it. I don't know what's going on but HP needs to get its house in order.

I agree!

Yes, it appears that they do not care enough; their system has to be fixed before they unpublish our hubs for no apparent reason. This is not just unpleasant, but also an insult to the writers. smile

3. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Someone copied your poem which caused a false positive duplicate flag. I've published your poem and marked it original. If you have any questions email team@hubpages.com.

Thank you for your help and support, Matt.
        Best Wishes!

2. Jodah profile image93
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

This is crazy, Misbah. How can a personal poem be duplicated? Unless you had a lot of quotes that had more words than the poem, but you only have one in a call-out. I wonder if another site stole it, but they would have had to do so as soon as you published it.

Thank you so much, John. I actually checked 4 sites to see if it’s really getting plagiarized somewhere but no not a single word but the only quote I used. This is super crazy, I was actually wondering if there’s any super power that can teleport my imagination to elsewhere on the web before I publish it on HubPages. hmm
      I have sent an email to team.

See:

https://hubstatic.com/15906742_f1024.jpg

If it is considered a duplication, just my bio and the quotation I used are duplicate content.

3. Misbah786 profile image86

I have published it back after removing the quote. This is quite frustrating!

4. Misbah786 profile image86

They unpublished it again, I will wait for the team to respond. smile

5. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

That is crazy! Did you ever write something previously that has some similar lines? I know articles do get plagiarized all the time as Carole said. We all use quotes and I would be mad if my article would be considered plagiarized after doing the work of writing it. I don't know how you can resolve this problem Misbah.

No, Pamela. I never used any similar lines before. All I know is that it is very annoying. The moment I publish it back the system again took it off in a minute and sent me an email again.

See this:

https://hubstatic.com/15906800_f1024.jpg

It’s not plagiarized elsewhere. HubPages should address this issue, as we all now use forums to share each other's hubs. When their algorithm flags a hub for duplication, I think it's an insult if they unpublish it without even verifying it once.

6. Eric Caunca profile image95
    Eric Cauncaposted 2 years ago

Because of the quote, you have been reported for duplicate for the second time. I believe you should refrain from using quotations in the future. Writers can report content that has been duplicated, even if it is only one sentence. Even “comments” in the articles can be reported if copied from somewhere. It simply means that the quote's originator does not want you to use it. Look for quotes with no copyright restrictions.

Thank you for your response it has been stolen already that’s why it got flagged. The problem is at HP’s end

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

No writer would report it for duplicate content, Eric.

It's true the quote may have triggered the filter, especially if it is commonly used.

Maybe take the quote out for the time being, Misbah?

+1

My first thought was that it's happening because of the quote, but that was not the case. When I republished it the second time, I removed the quote, but within a minute or two, HP unpublished it again, and that time the quote was not there. It happened because someone copied it very quickly.

Thanks to Beth for bringing this to my attention. I believe, the HP system was unable to determine who posted it first.

What Eric said was quite confusing to me as well. Thank you for your input.

Much appreciated smile

Blessings to you!!

2. Eric Caunca profile image95
        Eric Cauncaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm just advising Misbah to avoid using quotes in her writings in the future because she's been warned/ reported/ flagged duplicate multiple times because of them. She previously stated that one of her pieces was removed due to the quotes, similar to her post now.

I believe you are confused because I was discussing about the same article. I assumed HP said it was duplicate because of the quote I used; I used it within 260-270 words, but according to the requirements, I think we can use it after 300 words. When I republished the same article after removing the quote, the system quickly pulled it back. (The second time) It happened because someone stole my article. 

There are many authors on HP who only write about quotes and sayings; I don't think any writer can report anyone for using quotes. Almost all of us (the poets especially) use it many times to support our writing if the quote appears to be relevant.

They once created an issue with my article about Shams Tabriz quotes, but that was about 7 or 8 months ago. I used nearly 20 quotes in that article, and after sending an email to the team, they published it back, and the article is still live on discover. (I never discussed about that article on this forum post) I'm not sure which one you're referring to that I said they removed.

7. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Hi Misbah, it is most likely due to the poem shared within your content. I have had this happen twice. Once when I was including excerpts from the U.S. Constitution and another when I included words of a particular song. Although I gave credit where due, I had to use fewer words, in order to resolve.
    Good luck getting past this, I know it is frustrating!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, A B. It has been stolen and HubPages system can’t detect who published it first. The person who did it used it as it is, even my name, bio, and the same pictures and the quote.

8. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 2 years ago

Misbah,
    I put a few words of your poem into Bing search and it has already been copied (stolen) by this website:   
    https://   acpeo.com/2022/02/26/ghosts-of-animals-with-souls-extinguished/
    (remove the gap in the URL to make the link live)

Wow! Thank you very much for your help and for bringing this to my attention, Beth. I appreciate it very much smile
      . . .  And here's a hats off to HubPages; they can't tell who published it first.

I found some more of my poems there as well.

https://hubstatic.com/15906969_f1024.jpg

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Blimey. That's crazy! They must be using scraping software that flags up new hubs.

9. celeste inscribed profile image88
    celeste inscribedposted 2 years ago

Wow Misbay, I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I completely understand your frustration. We all work so hard on our writing and then for it to get stolen is just not ok at all. If you go to the site that Beth identified you'll see an email address of the person that posted your poem. Maybe you can report them to that website and to Hubpages - gouliatmiloud9@gmail.com. I would email them directly and ask them to remove your poem from their listing.

Celeste, thank you very much. This is so kind of you. God bless you. I emailed them but would not leave a comment on their website. They ask for your email address as well as your name; I don't want my email address to be posted online. I'm just wondering who copied it so quickly that the HubPages system erased mine.

See this :

https://hubstatic.com/15906987_f1024.jpg

10. celeste inscribed profile image88

Oh gosh Misbah, I spelled your name wrong. My apologies. Clearly one cup of coffee this morning is not enough to wake up my brain. Sorry again.

No problem, Celeste smile
      Blessings to you!

11. celeste inscribed profile image88

There's something fishy going on here. None of their social media links work. I thought maybe you could private message them on Facebook or Instagram.

12. Misbah786 profile image86

Yes, I have sent them an email. I also discovered works by other HP authors there. Here's an example (they also copied an article by John Hansen). I believe it is only one person who is doing that because the email and the information of the user is same.

https://hubstatic.com/15907016_f1024.jpg

13. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Misbah, what you've shared is very strange. I suspect your work was copied before it got out the gate. That's all I'll say, read between the lines.

Thank you so much for your very kind response, Janis. I absolutely understand. smile

It's undeniably strange. What's more strange is that HP scored my article and then unpublished it after scoring. There's a problem with their systems and filters that needs to be fixed as soon as possible, or at least they should check it before their system unpublish articles saying it is a duplicate content..  smile

Many Blessings and Love!!

14. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 2 years ago

So sorry this happened to you Misbah! I took a peek at the website, and see there are a lot of articles from HP that were just published recently! It looks like a copycat website.

Thank you so much, Adrienne. Yes, the website is a copycat. Numerous articles by various HP authors have been copied there. When I type HubPages into their website's search bar, hundreds of articles appear. smile
      I appreciate your kindness.
      Blessings to you!!

15. Moondot1822 profile image95
    Moondot1822posted 2 years ago

Salam Misbah,
    As you mentioned, it was not just because of a quote. Then there is a possibility that your work is being stolen by someone else. How shocking it is.

Wasalam Moon,

Yes, someone copied it as soon as I published it here; I believe HP's system got confused in determining who published it first and removed mine. I emailed the team, but as it is weekend, I believe they'll be taking the day off. smile
      I hope you are doing well sister.

Blessings and lots of Love!!

16. Jodah profile image93
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Yes, some people write articles here based just on quotes and they aren't flagged as duplicate. I include quotes in most of mine and have only ever had one flagged as duplicate when all quotes were from Mark Twain, even though the article was about him.

Yes, I remember you telling me about this in one of my previous forum discussions, John. In almost all of my poetry-related articles, I use quotes frequently. HP never created any issue. Yes, they created an issue on the article I wrote about Shams Tabriz's quotes and explanation, and removed it but after I emailed them, they published it back. smile

17. Misbah786 profile image86

What the heck ! ! !
    They stole my article once more. I only published this poem a few hours ago. It is still on HubPages and has not even climbed up to discover. What in the world is going on?

https://hubstatic.com/15908495.png

https://hubstatic.com/15908496.png

I'm just hoping HP will not take down my original article again. HP, please wake up!

1. Jodah profile image93
      Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is beyond a joke, Misbah. There must be a way for HubPages to make it more difficult to steal content. Stop it being stolen as soon as you publish at least. I read your article/poem "Just Seize That Moment" and it is beautiful. I hope it isn't flagged as duplicate again.

Thank you so much for your kind words, John. Yes, this is no joke. They haven't flagged it yet, but if they do, it will be very unfair. How is this possible when the article is still available on HubPages? HubPages must monitor what is going on in their website. Hundreds of articles from HP are being stolen by that website on daily basis. This is not fair at all.  It's extremely aggravating!

2. Misbah786 profile image86

John, I've just sent an email to the team about this one as well. The article passed the QAP and received the score as happened with the previous one. I'm just hoping they'll keep this one up and re-publish the one they took down previously. smile
        Let's hope they discover my email before their system flags my article  neutral

1. Jodah profile image93

Good luck with that. I hope they rectify the situation with the other article.

I am still waiting for their response hmm

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They either have some kind of technology in place that copies the article for them, or they have HP memorized and are stealing the content as soon as it is published.

I did a quick HP search on the site and a ton of content popped up just from the last two days alone. Hopefully more people will start DMCA's and Google will take the site down.

Oddly enough I saw most of the HP articles have been moved to Discover. Either their algorithm is not catching all the duplicates, or the other site started posting the articles after they have made the move to Discover.

Thank you so much for your very kind response. Yes that site is very quick at stealing fresh articles from HP.  Matt on another post said that they are trying to fix it. smile 

https://hubpages.com/forum/post/4231519

Blessings to you!!

18. sudha madhuri d profile image77
    sudha madhuri dposted 2 years ago

I too faced something similar..
    When i wrote my first episode og golgappa diaries ....

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. It's always very upsetting when things like this happen. smile

Blessings to you!!

19. Misbah786 profile image86

Wow . . . What a brilliant thief! This one has also been stolen by the same person!

https://hubstatic.com/15916362.png

1. Jodah profile image93

Wow! They just will not stop. I see they have also stolen latest articles by Rosina and Chitrangada as well. It has to be another hubber who has recently started following all of us here.

John, it's like a mystery. It's difficult to guess who the person is. Whoever he/she is, probably reading this thread and laughing at our helplessness. It is not simply a matter of filing a DMCA. HP must also tighten the door locks of their website; without their cooperation, we are helpless. We have no control over who can follow us. It is HP's responsibility to ensure that no one can freely roam in their website. They should conduct some entry tests and impose some restrictions on newcomers. Obviously, whoever is stealing other people's works can't write anything on his own. I'm hoping that the team is reading my message as well. It's critical for them to be cautious, as such things have the potential to harm not just a few writers on this site, but the entire site. I only hope that the team understands our concerns and worries. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)