Should the US Appologise to Muslims?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (44 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I ask this because from what I understand of the situation, it was an American who decided to make a film, lied to the actors and all those involved as to what it was about, and dubbed over the English script in Arabic, thus making it an American statement to the Muslim world.
    I believe in freedom of speech and all, but I also believe in treating others how you would want to be treated. If you poke a wound, it's going to get angry results. Because it was (from what I understand, I could be wrong), an independent film, and is causing a WORLD WIDE uproar, wouldn't it be better if the US just said "Hey, we do not support this film, we apologize, we have respect for your beliefs along with every one else's beliefs."
    It isn't condoning what has been done, but the Muslims as a whole people do deserve an apology. Not the extremists that are killing people, but the Muslim community as a whole.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From my understanding, that's already happened.

2. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not.

First, there is evidence that the attack used the film as an excuse, but intelligence warned Obama 3 days prior of specific threats to the consulate.

Second, Embassy Cairo released an unconfirmed statement that was apologetic in nature - but Obama backed away from it. Hillary stated that "under no circumstances" would the US apologize.

We can't. Because we hold certain rights near and dear. One is free speech. As it turns out the filmmaker is a coptic (read, Egyptian) Christian who is likely upset with Egypt's new radical Muslim Brotherhood leadership.

France, today, ran some cartoon of a naked Muhhamed That might cause a bigger stir. At some point - Islam will quit taking notice of the perceived insults if they continue to happen.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I said in another thread. These people are helping Al-Queda. Yes, they have a right to free speech but they should also be aware of who they are helping and who they are hurting by posting ridiculous cartoons.

1. profile image0

How do you figure they're helping Al Qaeda?

They are wanting them to believe the West hates them and want to destroy them. The more hatred or criticism they can show their people the more chance some will want to join them to fight back.

1. profile image0

You make a good point, but if the western world caters to their desire not to put out silly stuff about their prophet - I wonder if that, also, won't embolden them.  Much of their culture is based on the respect of strength, and I think at some point, they're going to have to face up to the fact that the world is moving on - and they must as well.

You and I would not make such a movie. But, in order to protect the rights we enjoy, we have to defend those who would make such a movie.

2. ThompsonPen profile image66
        ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If its true that there was reports of this whole thing happening three days before, then is the movie actually a part of it? What part in this did the movie play? A coincidence? A specifically placed pawn in the mix for an excuse? And who, do you think, is moving the pieces? Me, personally, I don't think it is the Muslims.

(Please note I have no specific answer in mind, I just want to hear peoples' thoughts. I am not anti ANYONE and am not trying to create a hate group toward any nationality, religion, or people)

3. DS Duby profile image83
      DS Dubyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why I never did anything to them it's stupid to make an entire country apologize for what a few did. While your at it lets apologize to everyone who has ever been wronged by an American. That's a long ass list let the politicians apologize that's what they get paid for

Fair enough, it is a long list. But how many civilians have caused such a world-wide ruckus simply by exercising their freedom of speech? There's exercising freedoms, and then there is spreading hate and anger and endangering their country while at it. At what point does the US step in and take charge?
        (I realize that Obama did apologize though)

1. DS Duby profile image83

Do you honestly think that they don't do the same things to us in their country, we're the most hated country in the World, more people hate Americans than they did Bin Laden. Hate is everywhere and so is discrimination to hold whole countries responsible is only showing their ignorance, and you never give in to ignorance.

I wouldn't doubt it at all! However, there's slander of a nation, and there's slander of a religion, which is stronger, and far more vast, which is why it's spreading all over the world - Australia included!
            However, that being said, how do we stop being the most hated country? Showing understanding and working with those offended might be a step in the right direction, opposed to engaging in an international argument.
            I think that the making of the film and saying that it was ok is ignorance. It's seeing it in black and white. It is a right, and there for it has to be expressed, there for, the US is right. However, if this right is causing a huge group of people to be angry and putting others in danger, then doesn't it become a matter of national security, and there for in order to keep the peace, shouldn't we be the bigger "person" and apologize?
            I agree not to give in to ignorance, but we are also displaying our own ignorance as well, or at least, showing just how closed our minds are. I'm not saying we're the only ones, though either.

I agree the film was wrong and I feel they should be dealt with as well freedom of speech tends to get out of hand. I don't believe in bashing any religion or lack there of I just don't feel we're all accountable. As far as fixing the hate toward us our government  needs to stop bullying other countries, stop trying to dramatically change their ways and work hand in hand with them to help solve theirs and our problems. We as a country need to show them more respect and our people need to stop using their countries as amusement parks to behave like animals. American tourists can be horrible at times. It's all about respecting one another.

I completely agree

4. adjkp25 profile image91
      adjkp25posted 11 years agoin reply to this

People do stupid things all of the time, if their respective governments had to issue apologies every time someone did something crazy they would never stop apologizing.

The difference is less than fanatical people write these crazies off as loony, they don't assume it as some official government statement and then get violent because of it.

The embassy and our government didn't apologize either according to "apology experts", I didn't even know such people exist.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … ogy-was-i/

1. hawkeye49er profile image57
        hawkeye49erposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I. agree we. Shouldn't. apolize. To. the. Muslin. Or. Iqaida. Either. They. Should. Apolize. To use. Agree.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Was the American in question a brunette, by chance? Thus, it was a brunette statement to the Muslim world, as well! Those of us with brown hair should all get together and apologize.

You cannot hold the US, or any country, for that matter, accountable for the actions of one individual. Perhaps that one individual should apologize? Who knows? Not my call.

6. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope. As others have said, the US didn't do anything. One US citizen did something. It was pretty rude, what he did, but that's all: one US citizen acted like a jerk.

If the US had to apologize every time a US citizen acted like a jerk, we'd be forever apologizing to everybody and we'd never get any work done.

If anything, the governments of Libya, Egypt, et al should apologize to the US for poor to no police response to rioting crowds.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. It's understandable that freedom of speech isn't necessarily respected or even understood in some parts of the world, but that shouldn't mean that the US should apologize for what one citizen/resident decided to create.

Besides, any person even remotely familiar with the sectarian conflicts in Egypt knows there are tensions between Coptic Christians and Muslims. Not sure why the zealots in Egypt can't wrap their head around this.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
          Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, some have speculated that since Egypt has been a pretty repressive regime* for a really long time, it's hard for an Egyptian to understand how someone could do something like make a movie without the approval of their government. Since the movie got made in the US, reasons the citizen of a repressive regime, that implies that the US government said it was okay. Bad logic, but there we are.

*The US actually does bear some of the blame for that.

Exactly! most of the middle east is somewhat repressed. It becomes a question of are they expressing their frustration of lack of freedom of speech, or any similar freedoms that we have, or is it just just just being offended by the film?

7. hawkeye49er profile image57
      hawkeye49erposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bad. logic, I. don't. agree. with. these. So called. Humanitarians. If. You. Do. Something. Is. definerly. Wrong.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The US didn't do anything to Muslims.  One person did, the statement Obama made was admirably clear on that point.  To the extent he did anything illegal, that will be dealt with in due course.

3. Winter Maclen profile image60
    Winter Maclenposted 11 years ago

I don't think we owe anyone an apology since it wasn't a governmental act. I think it was a terrible film and if it attacked my religion I would be offended, but I also think we shouldn't make a law that specifically protects Muslims, any more or less than any other faith, as soon have demanded.  We are supposed to understand that a few terrorists don't represent all the peaceful Muslims.  Others need to know that a small number of extremists don't represent all Americans.

4. AJReissig profile image70
    AJReissigposted 11 years ago

There is nothing to apologize for. We have freedom of speech in this country.  Who it offends or how offensive it is is irrelevant.

5. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

The apologies need to be following from the other direction. All of these “so called” insults are nothing but catalysts seized upon by those that are intent on attacking the west at all cost, well as long as that cost is born by their “brethren” incited by the rhetoric they invoke.

This “movie” was just the latest opportunity used to enflame. It was also a poorly conceived excuse provided to the radicals by the administration. This “movie was released months before and there was no outbreak of “outrage” until the administration employed it in the media as an attempt to defray the President from the negative light of a terrorist attack and the targeted murder of an American Ambassador on his watch.

6. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Has anyone here seen the movie, "Life of Brian"?

While equally, if not more offensive, nothing every happened as a result, no riots, no violence, nothing. No apologies from the director, cast and crew, either.

Well, there actually were some people who made a big deal about it. I think it was banned in some places. But, yes, no violence. But that was hardly the same. They did not claim that Brian was in fact Jesus smile

7. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

More than just 'apologies', each and every American should make a small donation to the worldwide Muslim community as a token of their shame and repentance for the actions of their fellow citizens.

As a conduit for such an expression of redemption, my PayPal account is accepting such donations.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding.

1. Greek One profile image65
        Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

send money to my PayPal account and just see if i send it back!

2. DS Duby profile image83

lol great response, I think I would like to join your cause .

8. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

Apologize?  No.  Because it wouldn't change a thing.  Moslems are reacting to humiliation and an apology won't change that.  They want the U.S. to support them the same way we support Israel.  Never mind Israel is the only country in the region with a form of government like ours - a democracy.  Look at all our closest allies: democracies.  We're not going to give anyone else the same kind of support.  Period.  End of sentence.  Fade to black.
    What they have to do to stop feeling humiliated in not anything they are willing to do, so it is never going to end.  Where are the wars in the world today?  What will it take to end them? 
    An apology would not satisfy them.
    The bigger question is:  Is the US always right?  No. We are not, usually because of the law of unintended consequences.  No matter what we do, there are always unintended consequences.  And when they happen, and we are in the wrong, yes, we should apologize.  And it takes a big person to do it.  The US has an epidemic shortage of big people in positions of power.

I agree, to all of what you said.
      So what, in your opinion, could we, either as a nation or as a Western world, do to make this situation better? What can we do to support them? Egypt specifically can do with lots of support with all the changes going on at the moment over there, this issue aside.

Convince them to become a Democracy

2. ThompsonPen profile image66

I agree, to all of what you said.
      So what, in your opinion, could we, either as a nation or as a Western world, do to make this situation better? What can we do to support them? Egypt specifically can do with lots of support with all the changes going on at the moment over there, this issue aside.

3. livelonger profile image87

Saudi Arabia is one of our closest allies.

9. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

http://melaniekillingervowell.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/bush-holds-hands-11-9-10.png?w=455

1. livelonger profile image87

You don't get much closer than that! lol

1. Greek One profile image65
        Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

actually, you can..

http://fromtheleft.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bushkissingsaudiprince.jpg

love these!

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
            Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This picture has obviously been photoshoped.  The custom is to kiss each other on both cheeks.  You will also see a man kiss an older man on the shoulder, a sign of great respect.  It's another culture.  There are many others besides ours.

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

I owe you an apology.  I didn't limit my comments to the issue of this movie but to the wider issue of Moslem protests.

Saudi Arabia is the exception to the rule.  There have been situations when Syria and Liberia and Egypt have all been our allies.

11. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

no...muslims must understand that any historical figure is not above criticism...be it be jesus or muhammad....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)