Shoeless man not satisfied

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image59
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/nyreg … ?_r=1&

Who says there is not an entitlement mentality?

1. Jackwms profile image61
      Jackwmsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The homeless man has a point. I'm sure he was very appreciative of the boots and the officer's kindness. I also not that the boots are now priced at $100 instead of the $74 posted on the original article. The officer is a wonderful man with a good heart, but maybe doesn't understand some of the mentality of street people. There are actually people out there that would kill him to get his boots, probably not to wear themselves, but to sell for a few bucks. He wasn't safe keeping them.

So, what's the point here?  I don't know. Right now, I have nothing but praise for this fine officer. It's hard to see people suffer and not want to help. Possibly an old discarded pair of boots would hav done as well.

Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I praise the officer.
        I am just hoping there will be people who will read this article and see just how far the gratitude really went.
        Not being satisfied there the homeless man wants royalties from youTube.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It sounds like he might also be mentally ill. And, it is a real danger that he will be robbed or attacked especially since it's been publicized so much. I don't think it's the case of a man feeling entitled.

But this doesn't want me to stop helping people and shouldn't cause others to. Although, helping social programs that will get the homeless off the street and the like are better than just giving to individuals.

His own words suggest he does not feel he got enough or is owed more.
      Maybe he could have sold the shoes and bought a less expensive pair.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, a guy living on the street feels he is owed something... go figure...

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying to figure that out, what do you think a guy living on the streets is owed? What do you think he thinks he is owed?

2. Jackwms profile image61

The idea that the poor feel entitled, are living that life by choice, or that they don't deserve help from the rest of us, really raises my hackles. This man served honorably for 5 years in the military and certainly does not deserve to live like this. Whether it's drugs, alcohol, or a mental condition, I'm sure he doesn't live this life by choice. Many, or even, most of us, could be in this situation were it not for the society supports of family, friends, church, and government.

No he doesn't deserve to live like that. No one does.
          And yes I am sorry but drugs and alcohol are a choice.

1. Jackwms profile image61

You commented at one point that no one deserves to live like this. Then, you seem to contradict this by saying drugs and alcohol are a choice. First, you don't know that this person uses drugs or alcohol. But, then you seem to be saying the homeless deserve their status if they are addicted to drugs and alcohol? If so, be assured that addiction is absolutely not a choice. Many well educated and influential people became addicted and had to go through treatment ( Remember Betty Ford?)  Now, let's look at the fact that this homeless person was a 5 year military veteran. Some of the horrors these people have gone through lead to addiction.

This statement about a person life situation being a choice is been used with poor people, gay and lesbian people, mentally disabled, and those with alcohol and drug dependencies. Helping these people is not a gift to them, but to society.

This is my last post as these back and forth comments go nowhere. But, you did post this to get comments. You got mine.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
              Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"be assured that addiction is absolutely not a choice."

Yes it is, just the same as rehabilitation is a choice.

2. Barefootfae profile image59

Those horrors don't lead to addiction anymore than a gun makes a person kill.

3. Altari profile image59
        Altariposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not getting the "owed more" vibe from that article. All I'm seeing is a man saying that he never asked for any of this attention that other people are profiting from. And, honestly, I think that's fair. How much profit has the media made from this? If someone wanted to 'help' perhaps they should give him the cut of the profits reaped because of his story and situation. Instead, he got a pair of boots that could cost him his life.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I actually feel a twinge of pity for you.

3. adjkp25 profile image88
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

He has family nearby in Pennsylvania and (it sounds) like they have tried to help him in the past but he is OK with how he is living his life.

"We love our brother very much," Kirk Hillman told the Daily News. "Our door is always open to him, but this is a lifestyle he's chosen."

Full article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nyp … 58145.html

4. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

I only ask that no one judges all homeless people by the actions of one.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

It is not logical to take this one situation and conflate it like you are here.  Of course, you probably know that and don't care as long as you get to make your "point," and I use that word loosely.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)