jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is an addiction to something [ie; drugs and alcohol] an actual disease?

1. dear addict profile image58
    dear addictposted 7 years ago

Is an addiction to something [ie; drugs and alcohol] an actual disease?

If not, why, If yes, how?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4474599_f260.jpg

2. Dennis Pace profile image60
    Dennis Paceposted 7 years ago

An addiction is an addiction, right?  I t can often be the cause of one or more diseases.  for instance, an addiction to sugar can cause diabetes, obesity, and cancer.  (cancer feeds on sugar)     
    an addiction to nicotine, can cause cancer also.
    Aspartame is addicting and can cause brain problems, and tumors
    caffeine  can cause migraine head ache and nervous tension

3. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I think it is an inherent psychological condition which exists in some sector of our population which appears to have a tendency toward obsessive-compulsive behavior.  I think that is the true difference.  Many people can use and abuse alcohol all their lives and never really reach the level of addiction. But those who display obsessive-compulsive tendencies, are much more prone to give into the lure of it and drink themselves to unconsciousness or use drugs to the point of death.  We tend to treat the end result...the alcoholism or the drug addiction and then ignore the obsessive-compulsive behavior...maybe if we worked on that more and paid less attention to how that behavior was directed, we might cure more people. WB

4. barbergirl28 profile image77
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

Yes, because usually it is the addictive chemicals in the drugs that react with different receptors in your brain that make you crave that drug. Each drug reacts differently so I won't get technical. I know for instance the nicotine latches onto the certain receptors and causes slower synapses (I believe) which is why you crave more nicotine

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

people love to call it a disease but i completely disagree. it is nothing more then a combination of stupidity and a way to fight your problems without actually doing anything. i new hundreds of addicts and i don't feel sorry for them. they know that by living the lifestyle they are living they will pay the price but i guess it beats actually trying in life for them.

6. freedomfromfear profile image57
    freedomfromfearposted 7 years ago

Addiction is called a disease because of the "dis-ease" of the condition. Once alcohol or drugs are introduced in the body a phenomenon of craving and obsession of the mind is immediately triggered. That is the disease. Obsession of the mind can be in the form of cravings without putting it into the body. Anyone that has experienced addiction at the level of powerlessness understands the term dis-ease.

working