Airlines can and do say, "You can't wear that!"

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"DALLAS (AP) — Airlines give many reasons for refusing to let you board, but none stir as much debate as this: How you're dressed. A woman flying from Las Vegas on Southwest this spring says she was confronted by an airline employee for showing too much cleavage. In another recent case, an American Airlines pilot lectured a passenger because her T-shirt bore a four-letter expletive. She was allowed to keep flying after draping a shawl over the shirt...."

http://news.yahoo.com/airlines-cant-wea … nance.html

1. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As long as I can see the person's face and they are not boarding a plane stark naked I am okay with how they are. I think chucking a person off a plane because you don't like what's on their T-shirt falls into the silliness basket. If a woman is supposedly showing too much cleavage I would no doubt pretend not to notice though I will have most definitely noticed. And it would be okay with me.

In Australia the issue would be whether or not you would allow someone who is covering up most of their face on board. I would say no since in the west a person is most accountable by their actions when we can actually see and acknowledge for certain who they are.

2. profile image52
      Aladam888posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thats an interesting piece of information you decided to maake into a thread. . . . i wasnt aware of it, maybe beacuase i never came across such a situation as yet. Its good though, you are in public and everone must show some level of etiquettes:)

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I remember when people used to dress up to fly. It was a big deal. Now some look like they are about to take a shower, with bath slippers and bath towel clothes, showing anatomy I wouldn't want to particularly engage myself. Imagine the film 'Mata Hari' in a bathing suit.

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They probably came straight from Walmart. lol

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Any business can refuse service based on anything they want. That is great in my opinion!

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I generally agree, but what about all of us that are pro-boob?

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm pro boob too but hey if a business owner doesn't want to see my cleavage that's their right!

4. Wr1t3r profile image67
    Wr1t3rposted 11 years ago

As a flight attendant I greatly appreciate those who dress appropriately to fly. I understand that passengers are stuck on an airplane in a tiny space sometimes for several hours and they want to be comfortable, but show some respect for the people around you. We live in such a 'me me me' world and people don't seem to care about the people around them. It's really nice to see people show up dressed even a little appropriately for their flight.

I have always heard that we act the way we dress. So I'm glad the airlines want people to dress appropriately. The last thing I need at 25,000 feet is someone who is going to start acting the way they dress.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That saying is completly not true for most people. I wear short shorts and cleavage tops but I am in fact quite reserved. I don't think a woman showing up in a  cleavage top  is going to start humping everyone there. I also see no disrespect towards anyone in wearing any type of clothing unless it has some sort of slur on it. I do however respect a business right to say what they want.

2. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why wearing a T-shirt with naughty words or some woman with a low cut blouse or dress should ruffle too many feathers. If the T-shirt is clean and the same can be said for the low cut dress or blouse then it should be case closed. There's nothing worse than having to sit next to someone who stinks to high heaven however they are dressed and being forced to do so for hours on a plane. This also would not be a comfortable situation for the air crew.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As long as there are clear rules I can understand it.  I would not be to keen on sitting next to someone half-naked or with a shirt covered in obscenities. Travel clothing should be 'polite'.

1. profile image51
      westalan80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree on the "polite" term. one should always dress up such that no one is offended. Especially considering the place you shall be departing or arriving at, because as soon as you reach the airport or are leaving from the airport, there are many people watching you, for instance if you are at Saudi airport, and being a women there will be many objections if you are inappropriately dressed

6. jaydawg808 profile image81
    jaydawg808posted 11 years ago

I can understand how people can be offended by expletive language written on shirts or garments.  However, this is infringing on our freedom of expression.  Granted, there is a time and place for these things, and during air travel, this may not be such the forum to be wearing that kind of clothes. 

As for women showing too much cleavage, I can understand this, too.  However, I'm not sure what this will entice men to do.  I mean, if I were on a plane with a woman who showed too much cleavage, the only thing I would do is stare.  I mean, that's the only thing that I can do.  I wouldn't be stupid to make a snooty comment or yell at her.  I mean, we're all adults.  But, I can see the other end, too.  There is a time and place to wear suggestive clothing.  Not on an airplane. 

I think, though, suggestive clothing and a person wearing a shirt with expletives should be the least of a traveler's concern.  My concern would be getting to my destination on time and in one piece.

7. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

Re: However, this is infringing on our freedom of expression. "

It is not just to do with American tolerances. It is international and not just FAA. So clothing on planes should respect all cultures, not one. You cannot walk outside with cleavage out like her in some countries or wear four-letter expletives saying "F the world" or "I am an atheist. Go blank...your...".
    I am for it as it shows respect for all people and societies working together. 
    Do kids really need to see foul words on clothing or women wearing bikini tops on a plane?
    We just all want safe transportation and a calm flight.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is it that "tolerance" and "respect" always boil down to "you can't do this and you can't do that" instead of "you can do what you want as long as you harm no one"?

Why does respect only go one way - the way of "you can't"?   What happened to tolerance and acceptance of other beliefs, respecting other people even though their beliefs are different?

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

There are recognized limits to freedom of expression.  Not everyone wants to sit next to a nudist, someone carrying a ceremonial dagger, or a person on a terrorist Halloween costume.  So the question is not whether to limit freedom, but how much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)