Use of Social Media to Attract Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

How many of you use social media like FaceBook to attract traffic to your websites? What social media do you use? Is it worth spending time?

1. adamsbell profile image55
      adamsbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Social media is always  helpful to bring traffic to your websites You can send post related to your product or website on Facebook ,You can Tweet on Twitter about the website. That will help to bring traffic.LinkedIn is a place where you surely get business related people.You can take recommendation from them. So spending time on Social Media Sites is useful.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I joined the HP FB site(s)(?) and have my RSS feed on my FB profile which sends traffic, so, yes, guess I can say, it works.

1. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool, how did you do the RSS feed to your profile?

3. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I keep Facebook strictly personal -- friends and family. But I do use Twitter for my blogs and website. If you target the right audience, it can definitely help.

4. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Enough people with "qualifications" are adamant that social marketing works, so (apparently) it probably does.  Not for me, though.  I'm perfectly capable if I focus a tight beam and just write, write, write--with of course a side jaunt to the forums now and then, but that's still writing.  But the small amount of social marketing I did try scattered my energies badly enough that it left me pretty much worthless on each and every site for a while.

Conclusion:  Works for some, not for others; depends who you are and how you roll.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know where you're coming from, Ghost. I spent a while doing the social marketing thing, and it consumed a huge amount of time in an ultimately unsatisfying way. 

Sometimes it feels more like mutual masturbation than anything - I'll follow you if you'll follow me, I'll Stumble your Hub if you Stumble mine and on it goes.  Can't be bothered any more!

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is so right. My experience with social media is a bit different from yours as I got 1000 or so visitors/day from social sites for quite a many days(on my sites). But I still waste I am wasting my time with social media when I can construct something better in that time. Can't even leave social media as it sends bundles of traffic to my sites, thus the money too. Thinking of outsourcing or paying someone to use my social media accounts for sending traffic to my sites without bothering me.

5. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

I think it does help but you have to be active on regular basis. It shouldn't be like hyper-active one day and silent rest of the times. You have to keep people informed about yourself as people's memory on Internet is short lived.

I to have joined twitter and facebook and was also active fairly but for the past one month I have been too very busy. Like today is sunday and I am in office. Got some time so just to do some activity here smile

6. AtlantaGaToday profile image59
    AtlantaGaTodayposted 14 years ago

Packerpack is dead on, you have to keep hammering on a regular basis. Be consistent and you will develop a following of worthy followers.

Twitter works for me and gets my word out to thousands quickly. Find out which social media is best for you and keep rolling!

7. getpaidtopost profile image39
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I use digg, facebook, twitter, youtube, myspace, also have used articles to promote and linkreferral,

however, this is just my thought, and I am only going of stats from my last 2 hub,

It seems that things are changing in the whole social networking promotion scheme.
    Not sure why but my chosen keyword system no longer works. I created a hub a few days ago for the keywords "print screen" did everything as I normally do and sure enough within 1 hour my hub was in Google for the term print screen this was at number 7. now this result is no where, not even if I type "print screen hubpages" into Google, Google are messing about with things again I just know it.

1. rpgshow.com profile image60
      rpgshow.composted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have the same experience

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Social networking marketing def works, but its best to use as much automated options as possible.

For example - when i tweet a link, it is also automatically posted to my Facebook

digg, stumbleupon etc... (social bookmarking) can also be automated

But IMO its important to NOT be seen as someone who only promotes their own writing and to have value and variety in your posts, tweets, blogs, boolmarks etc.

Without automation, its prob more trouble than its worth

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I find social networking a pain but I do get a lot of hits not from one source, but from some twitter, facebook.

10. bgpappa profile image80
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I used them, Digg, Facebook, Twitter etc.  Some have produced great traffic, most have not.

But I get most of my traffic from google and yahoo now, without the help of social networking sites.  I think the content is still King.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no doubt about content being the king.

11. oderog profile image46
    oderogposted 14 years ago

Not much traffic from social media, although helps to expose my hubs

12. bostonsocialmedia profile image60
    bostonsocialmediaposted 14 years ago

Hi

Social media marketing is the most inexpensive way of attracting traffic to your site .I think everyone should be using this new trend to get their brand in front of millions.

13. SamSurvivor profile image60
    SamSurvivorposted 14 years ago

If you're trying to make money on the Internet, then you'd be a lot wiser to go after targeted search engine traffic using good solid SEO. As most Internet Marketers know, well, the ones who make money anyway, Social does not convert nearly as well as targeted search engine traffic. These type of people are generally your surfers who are just killing time on the Interent.

Just remember this age old saying; "Readers don't click and Clickers don't read"

Do you keyword research, find out what your visitors are searching for and then work on getting in the top 3 of Google.

1. carlgerber profile image60
      carlgerberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question of whether SEO is better than Social Media or visa versa came up in another Forum thread. Here is what I said.

SEO (search engine optimization) is a technique to get better organic results in search engines. It can and should be used in both 'standard' websites and social media sites. Social Media sites are sites designed for social interaction.

In other words, it is just as important to use SEO in your Facebook Business Fan Page as it is with your blog or other website. Even with Twitter, thought should be given to using proper keywords as more and more people search Twitter, and there is a trend by search engines to index Twitter.

So the question isn't whether SEO is better than Social Media or visa versa. The question should be how to use SEO to enhance your Social Media as part of your overall strategy. This strategy should include things like using Twitter to drive traffic to your Facebook Business Fan Page; to use your Facebook Fan Page to interact, get leads and promote your product or service reputation. And, to use Twitter, Facebook (and others) to direct people to your blog where you can capture leads for email marketing, give people more in depth information, and convert them to paying customers.

In today's new world of internet marketing and social media, a successful marketer must use all tools available to them together so they enhance each other and effectively reach the most people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)