eBay Affiliates is kinda a bummer...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 10 years ago

Instead of explaining it here, I just took some screenshots and posted them on a blank Google site:

https://sites.google.com/site/ebayaffil … inpennies/

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL  You made me look at my own.  About $9, with over 10 times that from Amazon.

I don't do well from eBay: there is just enough coming in that I don't delete all of it, even though I do think it costs me some Amazon sales.  Others have commented that you need quite high traffic to earn from eBay, so maybe in 10 years or so I'll see a dollar a day.

1. GA Anderson profile image90
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

isn't procrastination a wonderful thing....

I think you may be right on both counts.

your ebay capsules may well cost you some Amazon commission

and,

yes you do need a lot of ebay clicks to earn - considering a high-value QPC is usually in the 44 - 49 cents range. ebay says the "average" affiliate QPC is 25 cents, but a more realistic QPC for a Hubber is probably in the 5 to 9 cent range.

So, still want to let those "sleeping dogs" lie?

GA
        G+ ebay thread: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10361373191 … MnHvYoTb3L

The question, seems to me, then becomes one of what does it take to get that 45 cent QPC and what would the same effort have produced it turned to Amazon instead?  If you could produce 100 readers motivated enough to buy on eBay would not those 100 readers have produced 10 times the income on Amazon?

Seems to me that when equivalent or identical products are available on both, the choice is to go with Amazon.  eBay does have unique products, and sometimes cheaper "junk" products that Amazon doesn't, but is it enough to justify the effort of convincing readers to buy there?

For me the jury is still out, partly because I don't typically write sales hubs and when I do it's for decent products, not the cheap imported junk found on eBay.  Nevertheless, eBay income is slowly climbing for me (mostly because traffic is) and for the most part eBay sales are not robbing my Amazon of high commission sales.  Just $1 or $2 ones, and over a month I probably come out a few dollars ahead by providing eBay links.

Like all things - it's a choice - yours to make.

I just finished a reply on the G+ discussion, but it boils down to this - for me

If the item/product is any kind of collectible, unique, or non-inventory type product, I go with ebay links that include all purchase options: auction/best offer/buy-it-now.

If it's an inventory-type item/product, I use links that only go to buy-it-now choices on my ebay sites, and forget ebay and use Amazon if it's not an ebay site.

GA
            https://plus.google.com/103613731919206676771/

2. Tealparadise profile image83
            Tealparadiseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

None of my hubs are sales-oriented, so often there isn't an Amazon product that really "fits" the tone of the article.  I tried Amazon-only at first, dazzled by that % commission which could easily make me $50 a pop.

I had one sale over 4 months, and it got me $0.40.  Now I realized that a non-sales hub can do MUCH better with eBay.  For me.  Because I know how eBay works and used to use it a lot to find REALLY unique and interesting things.  Things they don't sell on Amazon. 

For example, in my hub on how to get discount gift cards, I link to eBay to demonstrate my point that people sell gift cards for a huge loss there.  I get clicks from that pretty often. 

And for a hub that would NEVER get an Amazon sale- my drinking games hubs often give eBay clicks.  This is because I link to alcohol coupons on them.  Something that isn't sold on Amazon at all.  Think about your audience.  College kids looking up the rules of kings cup aren't going to buy a book on Amazon or a bottle of Ciroc that won't arrive for 6 days.  But they WILL click on a coupon for a free bottle of Ciroc.

You have to really think hard about who is viewing each specific hub, and what products will interest them.

2. GA Anderson profile image90

Disregard my responses about the ebay affiliate program on HP.

Conversations with Dan, (Wilderness), seem to indicate that HP ebay affiliates are on a different program than regular ebay affiliates (which I am).

We are paid by ebay's QPC program criteria, which is what I have been discussing, and it seems you folks might be enrolled under ebay's older EPC program.

Sorry for the bad info

GA
          G+ HP discussion:
          https://plus.google.com/u/0/10361373191 … MnHvYoTb3L

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

We don't earn percentage from eBay like we do Amazon.  We earn per click.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sign … er-network

3. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I have all information articles and I earn a lot more from eBay than Amazon.  It must have to do with what you write about.

I'm sure it does, along with a dozen other factors as well.  Just like adsense vs HPads, some do better with one, others do better with the other.

4. Froggy213 profile image62
    Froggy213posted 10 years ago

There was a day here when we earned commission from Ebay--I did quite well. Since the change, I must agree--BUMMER!!!
    I wish that Ebay affiliates and/or Hubpages would relook at that, because I have considered removing all ebay ads and going only with Amazon.

Froggy - I felt the same way when ebay changed programs - at first. I too took a drop in earnings, but as I redeveloped to accommodate the QPC method, my earnings have increased beyond my previous "commission" earnings.

So now I like QPC

GA

Disregard my responses about the ebay affiliate program on HP.

see above explanation

Sorry for the bad info

GA
        G+ HP discussion:
        https://plus.google.com/u/0/10361373191 … MnHvYoTb3L

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

I removed all Ebay products and no new ones will appear.

6. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

Okay here's the standard "stupid question".
    If you are not using HPAds, do you make money off Amazon?
    Or is Amazon figured into the HPAd program?
    I know I make money independently off eBay while running straight AdSense.

Amazon is not part of the HPad program; there is no need to have adsense, HPads or anything else to get an Amazon affiliate and earn from amazon links.  Amazon earnings are paid by Amazon, not through HP, while eBay earnings are paid by HP.

I cannot get an eBay affiliation and can earn from eBay only through HP.  I have always though I had to have signed up for HPads, whether I enabled it or not, to use eBay that way.  I could be very wrong here, though - I had HPads long before the chance to use eBay was ever offered.

7. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 10 years ago

Considering the price of the items that sell on eBay, typically cell phones, I would probably do much better using Amazon.  Unfortunately, I live in Colorado and am unable to participate in the Amazon program.

8. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I use a quite simple method with my hubs.

On hubs where I expect clicks but no sales, I use eBay (usually information hubs.)
    On hubs where I expect sales I use Amazon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)