what are your opinions on sexual fluidity?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. arieanacroom profile image61
    arieanacroomposted 10 years ago

Im interested in the opinions on the subject of sexual fluidity. Not bisexuality. The concept that sexual fluidity is having an urge for a certain gender for a period of time, and switching for another period of time.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That sounds an awful lot like bi-sexuality to me.  It's like that old almond joy/mounds commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s55QoIZScP4

Seriously, if there is a distinction it's very very small.  I go through periods all the time where I prefer one rather than the other.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

People are very diverse.  Some people have that experience.  That is a matter of their experiences, not my opinions.  It is possible to go through many different states of a/sexuality-philia throughout the course of a life.

3. violinistguy profile image61
    violinistguyposted 10 years ago

Gender and sexual fluidity are very complicated issues within the GSM community.  In general, sexual fluidity and bi-sexuality could be regarded as the same thing; however, the biggest distinction is that bi-sexuals often claim a 50/50 desire for men or women (equal chance of being with either gender) while fluidity indicates an actual switch in desire.  Of course, it is more complicated than that because some who claim sexual fluidity also claim gender fluidity.

4. gjean profile image61
    gjeanposted 10 years ago

Any sexual experience that involves different partners over time contributes to a person's chances of contracting social diseases and illnesses.   Urges - are just that.  A desire that comes and goes.  I would suggest that people ignore the urge; let it pass with time. 

If one views sex as a pleasurable past time only, then a wise move would be to keep the circle of sex partners very small and closed.  If one views sex as an act of love and commitment (my personal view), then it would be wiser to wait for that person you can commit to for a long period of time.

If the sexual fluidity desires / urges are acted upon, feelings of confusion and guilt can result.  Just be careful and take the long view of life.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bisexual (and sexually fluid... I guess) doesn't mean promiscuous. I'm happily bisexual and exceptionally sexually boring.

Alternative sexuality is statistically similar in sexually transmitted diseases as heterosexuality... so your warning would be equally true if speaking to a straight person.

In addition, my bi-sexual desires have never led to any feelings of confusion and certainly not guilt, even when I acted on them. I can see no more reason that they would lead to those emotions that purely heterosexual relationships.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you follow this advice, the human race will rapidly become extinct.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...great advice, gjean. They are words to the wise and will lead us to a higher age. We are going in that direction whether THEY want to get on board or not!

4. Shailesh Manmode profile image57
      Shailesh Manmodeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I liked your opinion but when all is said and done the day of reckoning is just round the corner.

5. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Fluidity might need a bit more defining. Being lesbian is not fluid I think. The woman I live with (Cassy) is bisexual. She is definitely fluid. But also not fluid. it is like she knows who she prefers... and she does not... um... let me say this nicely, ... mix the fluids together. LOL. By that I mean to be with the two sexes for physical reasons at the same time. She prefers just the one. There is a filter there and that counts. There can be attractions and there can be infatuations... and other things... we all know these.

There are urges, preferences in gender and there are instincts. Sometimes they are all the same to me. They led me to the woman I am in love with now. I listen to those urges, and that sense of attraction I get. It tells me who I am.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

...too much freedom will lead to an impossible society. This period in history -which is currently advocating an increasing lack of common sense boundaries - will prove temporary.
    We will learn the hard way it looks like.

Darn.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Too little freedom will lead to an impossible society. Where the elite decide what we can do with our own bodies.  We have seen what that looks like.  Never again.

7. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

When I googled just the phrase ''sexual fluidity,'' I got results about a book entitled "Sexual Fluidity" which was written specifically to attract sexual preferences in women.  It is based on the premise that women commit to relationships based more on circumstances and the personalities of their partners, as opposed to simply their genders.  I actually agree 100% with the premise, although, having not read the book, I can't speak to my agreement or disagreement on the exposition of the author's thought process.

Basically, I've always said that I fall in love with a person.  Their gender has never been the issue.  Whether that person is a man or a woman, and I've been in love with both, it is WHO they are that determines my affection for them.  Whether or not I act out that love in a physical sense in what determines my sexuality.  I think the phrase is a bit misleading in that regard.  At least when used as the title of this woman's book, it speaks to how women love, not which gender they prefer.

*Edit - I think. smile

8. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I think we all need to keep our sexual fluids to ourselves.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

Beth, sometimes I read your comments in forum posts and laugh and shake my head simultaneously.  You're funny.  In a good way.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The really sad thing is Mo, I am usually just trying to crack myself up. I'm so relieved when someone else gets the joke.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I think you're like me.  I just don't say a lot of the things I think out loud.  For the same reason, I'm always afraid no one else will get it.  smile

That was funny, though.  Really funny.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)