How can I get Freelance Writing Jobs?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 10 years ago

Another hubber, DrMark1961 asked if Hubbing could be a full time job, which got my attention. I have always wanted to be a full time writer, and while I know that Hubpages is not going to give me a hefty pay out what with the google adsense and all that other malarkey taking chunks out (as other Hubbers pointed out), I know that it is possible to make a wage doing freelance writing. I have applied and applied on freelance writing websites that have "wanted" ads. However, since I don't have the employed experience, I don't have the most impressive resume. And because I don't get hired, I don't get to improve my resume. It's a silly catch 22.
    How do I get the ball rolling?

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My two tips are:

1. make sure that your profile is written impeccably, is interesting and lists the topics you can write on confidently

2. bid low to start with and once you've had a few jobs you can increase your rates

ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to put them to use!

You're welcome smile

I've also got a hub about how Constant Content works on my carousel.

Some of the freelance sites like freelancer, peopleperhour, odesk (I have some hubs about them too) - can make you very good money if you are a good writer and you pitch yourself and your skills well. There are businesses out there using these websites to look for quality writers and are prepared to pay much more than peanuts. Just don't sell yourself short.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You would do well to check out the profiles of Billybuc and Habee, 2 awesome examples of freelancers that use their content here at HP as a resume of sorts.

Others here have given you some solid advice but I personally would not rely on online services or websites alone to earn a liveable wage as a freelance writer.  70% of my freelance earnings are earned off line completely and that accounts for about $19k a year.  I could earn 3 times that but I have slowed things down these last 2 years as my other business has increased and taken up a lot more of my time.  I write mostly family histories for private individuals that use them as heirlooms.  I get on average $12 per written page, plus I add family photos, "secret" family recipes, and a family dedication page.  I publish the book as a soft cover with a great cover image through lulu and make it available for other family members to purchase additional copies (which I also earn a small commission from.)

Habee's profile and content have landed her numerous freelance jobs and Billy offers great advice on how to submit and get published in print magazines. 

If you are serious about wanting to freelance then do not limit yourself to online writing... it is the laziest form freelancing and the least well paid.

That is wonderful advice! I will certainly look offline for my writing ventures! I'd always had whisperings in my ear that online was the place to get my writing done, which is why I began looking here.
        Thank you!

2. theluckywriter profile image68
    theluckywriterposted 10 years ago

A lot of bidding sites for writing pay depressingly low wages. Do your own marketing and approach potential clients on your own. A great site if you're interested in doing this: www.makealivingwriting.com

I currently write for a content site, although my long-term goal is to do more of my own stuff. But you can make a wage at Constant Content if you're a strong writer. I've written a hub on it, if you want more info.

Good luck!

thanks! I'm certainly going to give that a try.
      I've wanted to try other sites like squidoo and the like but I'm really afraid of spreading myself too thin.
      I'll check out your hub, too!

3. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

Seems you can't reply solely on freelance writing jobs to pay the bills and such. It's better to do it as a side thing...to insure financial security.

I know there are ways to go about it. I've thumbed through a book about how to make a six figure wage being a freelance writer. Unfortunately I was unable to keep the book in my possession long enough to read it and gain a solid bit of information, but one thing it did do was get me writing on here more which has certainly strengthened my writing.

2. theluckywriter profile image68
      theluckywriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to disagree with you, lovebuglena! I think that you can make a living as a freelance writer - but NOT if you're focused on content mills and job bidding sites that pay a penny a word. Good, strong writing is in high demand...you just have to find your market.

I`m doing well with Constant Content so far. It's not quite a content mill, and not quite a genuine freelancing gig. But I've been making over 500 dollars a month working part time. Once my contract runs out next week, I'll keep up with CC and start seriously marketing myself as a freelancer.

I fully expect to be able to make a full-time wage through writing. Not on Hubpages, though. wink I like Hubpages, but I only write here for fun.

I'm intrigued by Constant Content. I've never heard of it. I feel like I'm really out of the game when it comes to finding sites like these - I had to really sift through a lot of questions and forum on HubPages just to find sites like squiddoo and redgage.
        Do you have any other suggestions as far as other sites along the lines Constant Content?
        I wish you the best of luck on your freelancing endeavors! That would be my goal as well, one day!

1. theluckywriter profile image68

Honestly, I'm not convinced that sites like Hubpages or Squidoo can provide a real income. I think they can provide some extra money if you're good at SEO, but I don't see how they could provide the cornerstone of a writing career. I do see Hubpages as a fun place to practice and improve my writing, though!

I have very strong feelings about content mills. I think that Constant Content is a great place to write, but I wouldn't touch any of the mills (Textbroker and family) with a ten-foot pen.

I don't mean to flog my hubs, but I have a ton of info on CC here:

http://theluckywriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … nt-content

And the other site that I linked - the freelance writing one - is a really fantastic resource. I just need more time so that I can really focus on growing my freelance career!

Good luck to both of us!

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
          Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Textbroker.com, with a four or five star rating, money can be earned there!  Of course, you are selling rights to your work as well.  But, that is what freelancing is about, isn't it?

1. theluckywriter profile image68

How many cents per word do you make as a level 4 or level 5 writer on Textbroker? From what I understand, the per word rate is very, very low. Isn't it still well under 2 cents per word at a level 4? I won't write web content for under 5 cents a word, and that's at the very low end, for articles that don't require any research. Even then, I wouldn't want to rely solely on content writing (through any content site) as a main source of employment - my long-term goal is to get my per-word rate much higher than that, through my own freelancing.

(Although I will keep writing for Constant Content part-time, because I enjoy it and it's pretty stress-free.)

Content mills are sweatshops for writers. If you can write, then you can do better!

As for rights, I'm not really worried about that. I'd love to eventually get into copywriting and writing blog posts for businesses.  That type of writing doesn't generally let you keep any rights or have a byline either.

4. joskey profile image58
    joskeyposted 10 years ago

Hey Thompsonpen for freelance jobs you can visit www.freelancer.com they offer variety of article writing jobs.

5. Act 3 profile image78
    Act 3posted 10 years ago

If you are 4 or 5 star at textbroker, you can get on a team. Some of the teams pay significantly better than the standard rates. I think the initial 5 article (I could be wrong about that) requirement and speculative nature of Constant Content kept me away. Maybe it is worth revisiting?

6. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 10 years ago

from what I've been seeing on a lot of these wonderfully suggested sites from every one, they are in a sense like Kickstarter or Indiegogo in the sense that you have to fund a project in order to get yours funded. How much have you put into these sites to benefit?

You've misunderstood how the freelance sites work.

You don't need to fund anything unless you chose to pay for premium membership, but you won't want to do that until you've decided which site/s work best for you. All the sites I've mentioned had free membership options for sellers of services last time I checked. (Maybe you're reading the section for buyers of freelance services rather than sellers? Buyers do usually need to fund their accounts to show that they have the funds available to purchase.)

The way that most freelance sites make their money is by taking a % of the job value.

I don't normally self promote but this hub explains most of what you need to know.

Also, make sure you read the about sections on the various sites so that you are clear about where they take their cut from.

7. Anaydena profile image81
    Anaydenaposted 10 years ago

I also use my hubs as an example of my writing in my writing resume. It helps to have something to show when you are seeking a writing job. I also know a few people that actually use Hubpages as their prominently monthly income and can make a living off just their Hubpages articles. Personally I am trying to get there, I am starting to get more serious about my writing on Hubpages and I think I'm doing well so far. My point is, if you are trying to make a living just off your Hubpages articles, the best way to do that is to write, write, write. Write often, write engaging articles, and write evergreen articles.

If you are looking to become a freelance writer, your best start is - of course Hubpages - but then there is also Odesk, eLance, Guru, iFreelance, Scriptlance, and even Craigslist to consider when trying to search for freelance writing jobs. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I will look into those mentioned!
      I haven't had too much luck with Craigslist so far, but I do keep checking any way smile

8. Katharine J Walker profile image60
    Katharine J Walkerposted 2 years ago

Freelance writing can be an energize job, but it requires skill to cross from a business perspective. Here are some valuable tips for aspiring freelance writers. Freelancers offer their writing services to different clients and often work across a variety of genres, writing about any topic a user assigns. Always look for new freelance writing jobs. Learn basic SEO skills.
    https://sites.google.com/site/bestessay … icereview/

9. OGUNDARE OLUSEGUN profile image77
    OGUNDARE OLUSEGUNposted 2 years ago

I also like to be a full time writer or author... But couldn't yet because in my country people value money and if you are yet at the struggling ebb, they don't value you, they also mock when you ask for assistance from them, telling you to leave what you are doing if all you know is borrow or ask for assistances every time.. Therefore, I have also been trying to add little businesses to this to keep me going till the time and times that things will be better of than this

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)