Are You Making Good Progress?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. angryelf profile image88
    angryelfposted 10 years ago

I'm finally seeing earnings truly flow in, beginning in sometime of last month. So far this month I've broken $20; in addition to my earnings from August, it'll land me VERY close to a payout. The weekends always hit me with 250-325 views a day, so unlike most the weekends are my traffic spikes.

I am going to be writing up a few closely related hubs to group them with another that I already have up, I'm finding that by having a few closely knit hubs, traffic flows through much easier. I am hoping to reduce my bounce rate through adding more hubs to supplement those that have the most traffic. I am ranking on the first page for many of the keywords,

I'm hoping to get in the top 3 for most of them (few competitors), and I hope to share more updates in the future regarding what's working for me! Maybe I can help a few other writers to push in the right direction too! I hope everyone has been having fun and enjoying the ride. Hubpages seems to have bounced back for many- it's definitely worth celebrating!

1. IslandBites profile image90
      IslandBitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have gotten good traffic during the last 3 or 4 days. But is nowhere close to your numbers. Congrats!
      Btw, I have no idea about keywords or patterns, no idea what all of you are talking about. sad lol

2. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

I definitely have not reached that level of success yet in terms of money and traffic; but I'm thinking maybe it will be something for me to look forward to, once I'm on here a little longer.

angryelfposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've been active for far longer with many more hubs; it's definitely more than possible for you! smile I have the 3 year accolade, but it means nothing; I wasn't actually active on here until this last May or so. Just tweak your keywords some!! smile It makes a HUGE difference Nate, I hope it comes for you soon!

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to work on the keywords. I think my subject matter might not be the most popular either. Might have to change that too.

Glancing over your hubs' titles, it seems a good tweak of the keywords would drastically improve your traffic. There's a lot of variety and the titles have a lot of leeway as far as editing; and it wouldn't be difficult to incorporate them. The way that your hubs zero in particular niches/phrases without becoming too narrow will make it much easier for you so I hope that you see a good improvement! Don't be impatient though, because it takes about 2-3 weeks to begin to get a slower steady flow of traffic from Google (Ah! The anxiety! LOL), and you don't climb ranks for a couple more weeks. My best one started raking very few in from google after a few days- steadied after about 3 weeks, and raked in heavy traffic after 4-6 weeks.

Thanks, angryelf. Keywords are definitely not my strong point, it's taken me quite awhile just to understand the basics. Now that they got rid of the keyword tool, I'm more lost. If I understand you correctly, I need to zero in on a particular niche with a workable phrase (workable in the sense that someone would actually use it in search) but not too specific because I'd lose much of the audience. I'm paraphrasing you heavily there, but I'm just trying to get a grasp of these principles. Also, I did do some keyword tweaking a couple months ago, plus only recently really started purposely trying to use keywords and I'm wondering if it's still taking awhile for it all to kick in. Not sure. You are saying it takes a few weeks. My traffic has gone up a bit. It's been on a steady incline, so I'm wondering if even what I have done might be working. I know I've experienced Hubs and some of my other work online take a couple months to see significant traffic.

Yes it definitely takes a bit, the only problem that may be faced is the fact that the keyword will not be in the URL (unless the URL changes when you change the title, but I'd doubt that). I was targeting keywords with a few hundred searches per month, and after I saw the traffic pattern I decided to go for keywords with higher searches. Now, I'm about to target a keyword with over 20k searches, and you would not believe that the RESULTS are under 1 million; Turn around, and the matches with the keyword in the  url/title are under 600. Coupled with Hubpages, I think I'll have a piece snagging thousands in visitors a month if it ranks in the top three (It most definitely should, the competition is minimal) And, it's a lie when they say long titles prevent you from being found in searches, my best ones tend to have longer titles.

That is good information and very helpful, I've been wondering how to get more traffic. Seems I need to find the keywords with more searches, I've kind of worked on that but haven't always been able to narrow it down. Now I have something to work on.

Just do remember that the higher the number of searches, the higher the competition, the more results there will be (typically; I just ran into a freak keyword and I'm going to take advantage. This rarely happens, so if you find one, snag her quickly! smile ) and the lower you'll rank. The key is to balance low competition in the rankings with the authority of Hubpages to get a high spot on the 1st page. See, with its current PR, you have the benefit of reputation and ranking VS a personal blog (unless the personal blog has SEO performed, of course). Hubpages is a good idea for the writer who does not want to really dabble in offsite SEO. All you worry about is on page SEO, giving some awesome content & lots of photos (always include at least 1 video!) and getting yourself a few shares on social networking sites (If you don't use Pinterest, DO IT! I didn't believe it, but I'm doing well with it; up to almost 300 followers. Takes a good bit of work but totally worth it for the links + traffic, helps your rank on google!).

3. BradyBones profile image83
    BradyBonesposted 10 years ago

Congratulations! This is great news and I'm sure it's quite the inspiration to many. I look forward to reading your updates. smile

Thank you!!! I managed to pull in 220 views in the last 11 hours, surprising for a monday! I've been gone all day long (checked my all-time count right before leaving) so it was definitely something cool to report smile

1. HollieT profile image81
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused angryelf, you've been active since May and have 28 hubs which are pulling in three figure hits per day, yet your profile page is not showing the badge which indicates that you've hit 10k views yet.

I know!!! I'm still waiting on the badge to come in. I just started grabbing these views about 4 weeks ago or so; after all of my newer hubs had aged quite well, and started climbing in rank. I passed the 10k mark like 3 days ago; shouldn't it have already shown itself by now???

1. HollieT profile image81
            HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Usually takes a couple of day I think, but can't really remember to be honest.

4. VINCENTB profile image60
    VINCENTBposted 10 years ago

wow I have written hubs that are 2 yrs old and aren't getting double digit views yet can someone let me know the secret!!!

You just have to get the right keywords smile See, if you write without targeting, you probably will not have an ideal keyword phrase to lure in traffic from Google. You'll probably get some visitors, but no where near as many as if you had targeted particular keywords. It can be an uphill battle but a little patience (accompanied by writing about your personal interests), will deliver some serious fruits! Use the Google Keyword Planner, and start with lower searches with low competition, and try to steer away from products, services, the words buy/sell/trade in any form, and shorter phrases. Oh, and broad questions (Why is the sky blue?.... This one will have TONS of results already, for example).

5. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

It takes me close to a half a year if not longer to reach the minimum payout sad

1. VINCENTB profile image60
      VINCENTBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

what is the minimum

It's $50, seems almost too high but definitely a huge help when it can be withdrawn!

1. VINCENTB profile image60
          VINCENTBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I must agree with you on that I tell you I could use it what if we had to sites earning fifty a every two weeks that would be great huh!
          I am practicing Seo so things will get better for me Congrads again

You're going to experience a LOT of trial and error so don't let it beat you up; just remember that when you LEARN these things and you get that excitement when your HP account starts to earn good money, you can branch off to your own sites and make them do just as well, making your options limitless in the world of online writing!  And that would be really awesome! MY goal is to reach at least 100 per month here- I'm about 20-25% of the way there. After that, I'll double my goal, and just keep going. Set low goals, achieve those, and just keep setting the bar higher every month! And congrats to you for taking that initiative!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)