My First Editor's Choice! -- okay what does that mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. fcmosher profile image92
    fcmosherposted 10 years ago

Really cool to see that my hub, <link snipped>, was just picked as Editor's Choice. Can anyone tell me what it means, and maybe how to capitalize on or leverage this bump?

Thanks!

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this
    2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Being picked for Editor's  Choice just means than the more powerful HP domain is carrying your hub. This is supposed to give it a boost in the SERPS.

For some people, it works.

If this is you, and you suddenly find this hub is gaining a lot of Google traffic, then the obvious way to capitalize on it is to add links to your own related hubs which should bring them a boost in traffic.

Be aware that being chosen for Editor's Choice does not always mean a boost in traffic.

I had two successful subdomains where they made most of the hubs EC, and traffic immediately died.

I'm at that in-betweeny stage of leaving them to see what happens, and hitting that button that disallows EC hubs.

3. restorationville profile image58
      restorationvilleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-painful-stings

(There was a comma at the end of the bad link which is why it didn't work.)

fcmosherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Duh -- thanks WF -- it's always those little things...

I know - the same for me, too!

4. Robin profile image85
      Robinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  Here's our blog post that will explain a little bit more.  smile

2. fcmosher profile image92
    fcmosherposted 10 years ago

Thanks again, WF -- your help is always appreciated. Also I did finish the TOC for this hub. Pretty cool the way it works.

I just looked at your Hub and the Table of Contents adds a lot, I think.  One of the links needs to be fixed:  Male Duck-Billed Platypus.

Someone on another thread mentioned that the page reloads entirely when he was trying to use a TOC.  This hasn't happened to me, but it is happening on your Hub.  That's not the way it should be. 

There are two differences I notice between your Hub and mine:
      1.  Your Hub is an EC Hub and uses a different URL instead of a subdomain.
      2.  The capsules I link to on the TOCs in my Hubs are images (page dividers) just above the text module I want visitors to see. So, you are linking to a text capsule and I am linking to an image capsule.

Yes got it. Wonder though why the whole page reloads... an EC feature/glitch, maybe. Does that mean I get a fresh visit every time someone hits the TOC? If so then...  \m/ >.< \m/  !!!

Maybe (If you got about 10 extra hits the past hour, that was me testing your TOC) - but it's a really bad user experience to have the entire page reload.  The HP staff doesn't want to create an easy way for us to make a Table of Contents, because they really don't want us to use them. (???)  But, I still want to know why your page reloads.  I can't imagine that it's because of the URL.  I think it is because you are linking to a text capsule. One of the reasons I link to a page divider image is that I couldn't get the TOC link to land exactly at the beginning of a text capsule.  When I link to a divider, the link lands at the text capsule just below the divider - which is what I want to happen.

2. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fcmosher, I figured out the problem why your page reloads when you click the TOC. You need to adjust the URL from fcmocher,hubpages.com/hub/top-10xxxxx  to hubpages.com/hub/top-10xxxxx.

You are using the original URL before the Editor's Choice. When a hub becomes EC it is moved from your subdomain to the HP main domain. Try my suggestion and see what happens.

He is using the main domain URL, which is the correct one for an EC Hub.

1. Cardisa profile image88

When I hover over the TOC link I see the complete URL for each link. The URL appears at the left base of the Chrome browser. Example below:

http://fcmosher.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10 … d_24247430

All I did was copy the URL and paste it here. As you can see he/she is using his subdomain url and not HP's main URL.

Writer Fox, you may have misunderstood which URL I am talking about. I am referring to the TOC URLs.

Just switched to Chrome - You're right!  That explains why the page has to reload because those links are now redirected to the new URL. 

Now, see if you can figure out what is happening on the TOC from this Hubber:
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117544? … ost2477858

1. Cardisa profile image88

Not seeing TOC for his hubs. He may have removed them.

Based on one of his posts I think he left off the underscore  ("mod_123456"). Still not certain since I can't find which hub has the TOC in it.

Hi -- first, THANKS for all your help and commentary. For the url question on the TOC links, it took me minute, but I see what you're talking about and I'm fixing it now. None of my other hubs have TOC's b/c I only learned how to make one two days ago!
                    Thanks again everyone.

3. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 10 years ago

Congratulations!! I don't know the significance of it beyond the feather in your cap.

4. freefogging profile image59
    freefoggingposted 10 years ago

Congradulations!! It means you have produced a very high quality Hub here at Hubpages!!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)