URL, RSS & backlinks - HELP ME PLEASE, won't you, pleeeze...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I've read and reead the hubs on URLs, RSS & Backlinks.  I thought I was fairly literate in computers, trust me, I'm stumped.

Adding RSS - okay so I want to add an RSS capsule to my hub.  I read that you can add your profile URL as an rss but it tells me NO!

I don't understand backlinks either.

My URL tracker is at a big whopping ZERO...maybe its just because my writing sucks...which would be no surprise.

I need a fairy god-person standing next to me, holding my hand and giving me step by step directions to add RSS smile

For example on Breast reduction hub, what would I want the RSS feed to be?  I looked through Google for other breast reduction stories and got mostly breast augmentation, breast cancer...not much on reduction or mamoplasty that was worth linking to.  And I did try to link on that blog & again, got the big no this doesn't work.

You can email me, comment on this, call me a whiner or technically impaired....after that, could someone in plain English just walk me through it????

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot more to it, but basically backlinks are simply other webpages that link to your webpage. So if I went to my blog and put a link to your hub, that would be a backlink for your hub. Backlinks are one of the best ways to help your hub get traction in Google.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You are lucky, we have a fairy on Hugpages. She even knows what RSS is: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Use-An-RSS-Feed

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought that was Jenny's. It is the easiest to understand. big_smile

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It still is tongue

2. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read through this hub three times.  I'll read it again!!

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Sometimes adding a *related* feed is good too. hmm

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

After a few days of fooling around with this...yea, you guessed it, I'm still not getting it.

When I click on the orange RSS feed button, I get a box that says "Add Live Bookmark"  In the box is Name" & "Create in" - the choices I have to create in are Bookmarks Menu & Bookmarks toolbar.  So all it is doing is saving it to my bookmarks, is that the point.  I'm thinking no, but again, clueless.

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you click the rss feed button within your browser it will add the rss feed to your favorites (bookmarks). However this depends on your browser, I use wyzo and this shows me your feed and the option to bookmark the feed. however what you should do is save the bookmark then go open it from the bookmark menu at the top of your browser, this may be shown as favorites, just depends on your browser. If you want a good, fast, reliable browser use wyzo.

The point of Rss feed is to allow your members/followers to keep up to date with your work. Also for keeping your pings updated, and SEO.

All this SEO takes a little time to figure out, I have spent the last 9 years Analyzing SEO tactics, with very little conclusive evidence. what i do know is backlinks are a major part of internet promotion. backlinks are one way links and each one of these links act like a vote up for your site or hub.

The best way to make a backlink is to use what is known as a hotlink, a hot link is a link to your website/hub that contains keywords for you site like the one below.

here is a hub that may help you for backlinks.

This link is whats know as a hotlink.

SEO FOR HUBS

Only happy to help. smile

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hi Jane smile up at top of the browser is the url you should be using to copy and paste least I think that's the one. It took me time to figure it out too lol do not feel bad.

6. 3bagsfull profile image65
    3bagsfullposted 14 years ago

I guess I would wonder why you want to add an RSS feed to you hubpages

I guess my feeling would be that I want my reader to sign up for MY RSS feed that is available on every hubpage automatically now.

Are you wanting to go to individual blogs and other sites that write on your topic and add their "articles"/postings (whenever that happens) just because they are related and you think one of your readers would appreciate having that info?

Unless I am wrong - this appears to only be a way for you to add related content, but I don't know that it will increase your page rank standing on google and other search sites. This will in my opinion not increase your ability to make money through adding a feed of other people's work -- so it is not worth your efforts unless you just want to do it

If you want anyone who is interested in your topics and hubs to have the opportunity to always see your posted hubs when they happen, the reader will have a chance to sign up via your page to receive a link/full text through a RSS reader of their choice

If you want your articles to be found by interested readers via a RSS feed, they can use a "Google Alerts" to type in words and phrases that will go out and find blog feeds that match those words

What is your reasoning behind adding a RSS feed of other's work on your hub?

7. 3bagsfull profile image65

banklinks

When you put a link to another site, you are providing a "forward link" for you and a "backlink" to them. Sites that you link to are a nice thing to do. Say you are writing about your local SPCA and you highlight those words and link to their site because you think a reader would like to click on that site to learn more about it. You are in essense saying "hey, this site is important - so important that I linked to it"

That importance that you gave to the SPCA site has a real meaning to google. It can have a financial meaning as well. Every site that links to the SPCA site is making the SPCA site more and more important. Googles invisible robots find your site and automatically find that link on your page and finds out what site it is. google then gives it a "point". google adds up these "points" to determine the page rank. If a google searcher types in "SPCA" and ALOT of sites have linked to the site you linked to, then it will be at the top of the list on the search. To be at the top of the google page is the goal.

So - for you and your hubs - you want as many people to link to your page as possible. but here is the thing, that may take awhile or it might not really happen at all. So -- do yourself a favor and "force" another site that you don't own or write for to put a link on their site. This is the concept of backlinking that many are talking about. Go to sites like Digg, and Twitter, and facebook, and myspace and....(there are tons of places you can go) and type in the link to your hub

It is a way to "work" the system legitimately and force google to take notice of your hub. These backlinks will start putting "points" in the google account and with luck your page will rank very high when someone searches on the topic you have written about

why should you go to all this trouble? because it starts the ball rolling and can lead to higher recognition and money in the long run

8. 3bagsfull profile image65

Are you clicking on the RSS button on your individual hub page?

The button on your page is to give anyone who wants to always be notified when you publish a new hub

If you are clicking on your own button, you are being asked "where do you want to be notified that a new hub exists, what software program do you want to use to get this info"

you already now that a hub has been published so the only reason to add your RSS feed from your hubs is to know the RSS "process" is working in general and that you are confident that all of your "subscribers" got your new post

A RSS feed is like a person calling the local newspaper and subscribing (add the RSS feed) then having the paper boy deliver it (the feed is sent out to the internet electronically and automatically) and it sits on the frontporch waiting for you to read it(goes into the RSS reader of your choosing)

9. 3bagsfull profile image65

I just found this amazing hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/capsules

perhaps this will help

10. 3bagsfull profile image65

url tracker

where have you copy and pasted that url? where are you put a link to your hub that you hope someone will read and sign up for hubpages so you can get some of that revenue?

this is more about referring someone to hubpages through a link rather than your writing skills

Directly from the help section:

Your unique referral tracker is all you need.All you have to do is insert your unique referral tracker into any HubPages URL (get your tracker from your URL Trackers link on your My Account page).

Tell your friends

The process for signing up and tracking your referrals through the Affiliate program is simple.

To sign up for the program, your referrals will need to click on a HubPage link tagged with your unique tracker. You'll publish this link in your email, online discussion forum, personal website — anywhere. (you mostly do this offsite)

A referral link is the HubPage URL (http://HubPages.com/) plus your unique tracker.

To get your unique referral tracker, go to the My Referral Trackers tab on the My Account page.

To create your referral link, you'll insert an underscore and a unique referral tracker into the HubPage URL.

For example, let's say your unique tracker is "signups" and you want to create a link to a hub with the URL "http//hubpages.com/hub/Seattle_Coffee_Shops".

You would insert an underscore, followed by your unique tracker "signups" into the URL. The new link will read "http://HubPages.com/_signups/hub/Seattle_Coffee_Shops".

11. Mary Fellows profile image42
    Mary Fellowsposted 14 years ago

One of the best explanation of backlinks i've seen online -http://bloggerillustrated.net/very-basic-definition-of-links-and-internet-marketing/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)