What is your experience with and assessment of personality tests?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 10 years ago

I am not soliciting your results, or even proposing debate on the merits of these tests.  Personally I have many doubts and concerns with "psychology," but my purpose here is not to explore those.  I am simply inquiring on the experience of others. 

In the interest of entertainment, several of my friends, colleagues and I, have now taken the Jung Typology Test, (Meyers-Briggs), and been surprised, amused and intrigued by the accuracy of the results.  At least in our social microcosm, results have been admittedly impressive.  Armed with your "personality type" your just a Google away from all sorts of conjecture on what it all means, as well as how different types might improve relations.  It can also be fun to see who else, both real and fictional, might share your "type."  You will also find rationalization for why you may do what you do, and how you might mitigate your weaknesses or exploit your strengths.

I am aware of the controversy that surrounds these tests, but increasingly they are being used and considered  by social groups and even employers.  What has your experience been and what is your assessment based on that experience?

There are many sites you can go to, and I have taken tests at several of them over the years, (curious if results would waver).  If your interested, here is the most recent one I used:  http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi bBerean.  I put these tests in the same category as lie-detector tests.    Unstable and unproveable, and maybe useless.
      But I do kinda see a need, perhaps, to be informed about personality tests since, as you said, they're being increasingly used.

I don't have any experience with them,  so I'm sorry I can't add to your thread here.
      I might go take that test you linked to, though,  just for my own experience.

((eh.......I might let ya know if I actually took the test,  but I reserve the right to keep all results to myself for any reason whatsoever!!   hahhaha).  smile

bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Brenda.  I just found it entertaining.  Not sure there is any point sharing the results publicly, as anyone could say they were anything, (kind of like sharing results of IQ tests).  Besides, there are those that would probably just try to use it against you.  I was just looking for an overview of what folks had experienced and thought, so if you do decide to take it please let me know how close you feel it was to accurately describing you.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What is your love language?

I am almost afraid to ask.  wink  Is that another online personality test?

1. profile image0

Yes, you haven't heard of it?

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/

Okay, now I'm curious and will have to check it out later.  Going to be AFK again, (I saw you guys figured that out fine last time).

1. profile image0

computer with a K? No... keyboard... ok.

1. profile image0

hehhheee

I think I'll go try the love language one.........

2. profile image0

Okay when you get back from being Away Finding Kittens  (errrr....Absent From Keyboard)  teehee............tell me what you meant by googling it for extrapolations.

Haven't left yet.  I just meant Google whatever "type" you turned out to be and you will find people have written different things about that type.  Some are fun and interesting.  It was when exploring those that I became intrigued.  We had many distinctively different personalities trying it and the commentaries we ran across really were spot on for us.  It was fun.

2. profile image0

Hey again!

It only took a few minutes to take that one test.   

Actually, I'd say it was about 80% correct within the range it encompasses (which is very small and generalized).
          And I daresay that's typical of most people's results. 

Even their scoring and the words used in their scoring is............not comprehensive enough.    The test is way too simplistic and I don't see how they draw the conclusions they do based on such detached, short, generalized questions.

So, yeah, I found it quite..........frivolous,  I guess, is the word I'm looking for..........
          Kinda like the so-called "psychic" who asks if the client knows someone named "Bob"...........haha.........most people do.

As of right now, if I were a potential employee or otherwise subject to a test like that,  I think I'd demand that the would-be employer also take the same test and let me decide if I wanna be employed by them!
          (I do, however, understand and see the possible usefulness of employee questionnaires that ask what a person would do if they saw so-and-so stealing, or would they themselves take a pad of paper or pencil home that wasn't theirs, etc....)

I would be curious to see what you think if you take that type now and start Googling it for extrapolations.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

My primary love language, according to that test, is
    Acts of Service
    Second is words of affirmation.

Makes sense.
    I've always just done household duties and such without needing to be praised for it or attention brought to it.
    My husband is the opposite-----he will point out everything he does and practically beg for praise for it.   Yet he ignores the things he could do to make my job easier, like, he won't put his dirty clothes in the hamper, he'll carry in mud on his shoes and expect me to clean it up, etc.
    So yeah,  I would feel much more loved if he would automatically pay attention and not cause me even more work.    But if I have to ask for that,  then it's not automatic and doesn't come from his heart.

3. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Personality tests are garbage. I would elaborate if there were anything to elaborate on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)