Winter Holiday Traditions

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years ago

Do you have a winter holiday tradition that brings you the most joy each year?

On or around December 6th, St. Nicholas Day, my family (husband and daughter) and I  trim our tree while listening to our favorite Christmas CD's, sipping eggnog and eating chestnuts roasted in our oven. Then we watch a holiday movie DVD ~ usually "A Muppet Christmas Carol" with Michael Cain as Scrooge.

Also, if it is snowing, we make sure we sip hot cocoa, usually garnished with marshmallows, cinnamon, and a minty candy cane stirrer...which tastes best when coming back indoors after an hour or two of sledding.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4448824_f248.jpg

1. bipolartist profile image77
      bipolartistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We started a new tradition this year. We bought hideous Christmas sweaters and wore them for our Christmas card photo. We have five children and they are all teenagers, so the concept was not pleasant for all. My daughter was the toughest to convince. Anyway, we will be wearing our ugly sweaters to every holiday event we go to as a family. We will also wear them on Christmas morning for even more photos. We will see how it goes and hopefully continue it for the rest of our lives.

1. amiebutchko profile image70
        amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is hysterical, Bipolartist!  I think it is a fun way to make the holidays even more memorable!  I bet your kids will look back on it with fondness!

2. amiebutchko profile image70

I think your tradition sounds very cozy and fun Seafarer.  I love Christmas traditions.  It ensures me my children will have things to remember in Christmases to come!  Tomorrow we are making spritzer cookies and doing horse and buggy rides in town following hot chocolate at our favorite cafĂ©.

Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amiebutchko, the cookies, buggy rides, and cocoa sound so lovely. Blessings to you and your family!

1. amiebutchko profile image70

I gotta say, with three kids and our pug dog in tow, it was not picture perfect - none of it.  But we did it and we laughed!!!!!!!!  Thanks!

awww...and a pug!  I bet that the picture tells a fun story. :0)

2. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years ago

Bipolartist ~ That sounds like a fun family idea. Hope it leads to lots of fun memories for you and your family!

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I do not want you to think I am offended or in any way less happy but I am uncomfy with this PC "no Christmas" Discussion. I think a tradition is about two generations old or it is a fad or cutesy cutesy.
    Tradition is not a flim flam notions like "pet rocks". Some of us use a word that many forget these days "honor". This contemporary idea notion is fun but not yet tradition.

I cannot imagine embarrassing my children to create a tradition. Our tradition is to welcome and make well for all to come.

I am sorry but any thing remotely related to a Christmas tradition is about Christ.

You left that out.

For my family, Eric, we celebrate the holiday spirit. We are not Christians, though we embrace all who are. In my home on Christmas morning and throughout the holiday season, we spend time appreciating our life. For us, Christmas is not a novelty or about Santa Claus, but it also is not a day we celebrate the same as you. Tradition is for any and all who desire it.

We, too, open our arms to all. The family I have that are Christian, the family I have that are Buddhist and the family I have who are everything in between and outside of...

Cheers!

1. Ericdierker profile image45
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hope your handle means that you do not mock bipoloar sufferers. But you must know it can be construed that way. Though as bi - polar I take no offense.
        My home celebrates a real Christ Mass. The tree and trimmings are just a fun thin to play with. We have nothing that can be called tradition. For we are so young and together new that only hugs create a bond between us and ancestors past.

Eric,
          My handle represents who I am. I am an artist who celebrates life and happens to have Bipolar. That's twice tonight I have read posts from you where you seem to take offense, then follow-up with "but I'm not offended" (paraphrased). That can be construed as passive-aggressive. I have used this handle for years and you are the first person to ever see it as a possible misinterpretation.

I think it's beautiful that your family celebrates the birth of Jesus. However, if I may- if you put up a tree each year, is that not tradition? If your family gathers each year, is that not tradition? If you break bread, say a prayer and attend church, is that not tradition? No matter, it's beautiful.

As for me and my house, we will wear our ugly Christmas sweaters for the remainder of this Christmas/holiday season and perhaps make it a tradition for the many years to come.

<3

Peace and love be upon you and we in my home will celebrate your notions.
            I have thoughts and positions, but I am ruled by love. So I may intellectually assault certain ideas but love all who have them.
            I can just see your family being together and eyes rolling, but a great mom bringing it all down home baby.
            I hope we can disagree and still love.

Of course we can.

One of the amazing blessings for us bipolars is seeing both sides. Let us go forth and prosper and by that show the love we have.
                You have brought good joy to me.

2. Seafarer Mama profile image79

Wow, Bipolartist, you seem to enjoy an array of rich traditions with your extended family.  May this winter season see you and yours well and happy. ~:0)

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

We usually enjoy a serious BBQ at the beach and celebrate the fact it's Summer down here where it never snows  smile

I am jealous to the core. I am in Texas and it never snows in this part, but it is certainly cold.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

My elder kids and I always find a time to walk barefoot and up to our knees in the frigid ocean this time of year. Love and life is good.

3. Seafarer Mama profile image79

Sounds like warm, yummy fun, Pearldiver! :0)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)