How bad was the worst Hub you ever saw?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

I just found a Hub that is simultaneously deceptively titled (title has NOTHING to do with the content), is miscategorized (category has nothing to do with the title or content), is overly-promotional (content mentions the author has the service described as a client) AND is low-quality (217 words, no other content).  Although not featured, it is displayed on the author's profile page and thus can be found by someone.  The kicker is that I found it because the author posted in a forum thread about how someone said they were not a good author, and I decided to see what their Hubs looked like.

It's hopelessly, hilariously bad.

What's the worst Hub you ever found?

1. gitachud profile image67
      gitachudposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My worst was one I wrote then deleted before publishing. Then there was the one written in Dutch!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8622306_f248.jpg

2. frantisek78 profile image80
      frantisek78posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some are bad, some are good, most are mediocre. It's the same with everything, from published books to newspaper articles written by "journalists". As Dave Gahan said "I don't advise and I don't criticize, I just know what I like with my own eyes."

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The worst that I ever saw was some time ago. It had 2 sentences with poor spelling and poor English. I don't think it exists here anymore.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Oh man... how much time have you got? For a while the whole point of Hub Hopping for me was to call out spammers, con artists, and crap Hubs.

...though the one that still sticks in my mind was the guy who wrote a Hub claiming that he had deciphered a series of secret Satanic messages that were hidden in X-Men comic books. I honestly didn't even know how to reply to gibberish like that.

1. Attikos profile image81
      Attikosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That strikes me as one of the more interesting topics. You could have had fun with it.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Clearly I'm not reading the right X-Men issues...

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know!! I've forgotten the general gist of the guy's hub, but I remember that the election of Pope Benedict figured into things somehow too. Apparently the X-Men had foretold of it some way or another.
      I pictured the writer as one of those guys who has tin foil all over his walls and windows to deflect the government mind-control rays, if you catch my drift.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm gonna go with schizophrenia.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I don't know about the worst one, but I saw one similar to what you're describing a few days ago.  The title was deceptive, had nothing to do with the content, which appeared to be a very weak attempt at creative writing.  I noticed it on my feed because of the title and wanted to take a look.  Those kind of hubs belong on a blog.

I think the worst ones that I saw were from a hubber who spun content, with over 1000 hubs.  That hubber is long gone, or at least that account is!  It was a couple of years ago.

5. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 10 years ago

Fascinating. I would like to seeeeee these comic books big_smile

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I could link to a subdomain chock-full of them.

"But that would be wrong..." - Richard Nixon

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Chock full of bad hubs, or full of spun content?  Maybe that's a redundant question.

We still have people publishing spun content, copying content from other sources, and demonstrating contrasting writing styles in hubs vs forum posts.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

OK, OK.  I have now deleted the hub.

1. fpherj48 profile image62
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

LMAO, Mark.....Whew...Thank Heavens!

8. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Relache......When I first came aboard, I was eager to travel, investigate and discover.  I did a lot of hopping and reading.  I read many hubbers, numerous topics, all sorts of different hubs, etc.
    Cut to the chase:  My experience nearly frightened me away from HP.  At times, I thought I may have been having horrid nightmares while sleep-walk-hubbing......once I convinced myself that this site was someone's idea of a verbal rendition of "Where's Waldo?"......but we had to find the well-written hub, rather than Waldo.
    Are you getting my gist, oh wise and prolific writer?  It was a jolting experience to say the least.  I could have used some mental therapy, for Heaven's sake!
    Then, I wised up and stopped, you know, sleezing around in the ghetto and other areas where good little girls, who prefer proper grammar, correct spelling, appropriate punctuation and valid sentence structure, should not venture. (Yes, I know, "sleeze" is not a word....but it is today)
    Of the dozens and dozens I read.....I could never choose the worst.  They were ALL, the worst!

1. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I've always felt that, if Shakespeare could make up words, we could too. "Sleeze around" in now, officially, a new phrasal verb. wink

Thank you for the validation.  Official or not....I use a lot of words that may be questionable, without a dictionary!   I think it's because a phrase like "sleezing around," tells it like it is and leaves no doubt what you're talking about.

9. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I found one the other day in the feed! I can't even remember what the heck it was about, as it was so badly translated some of the words came out as for example. you buy this, sausage dread, it will cang yourie lif! whatever the sausage dread was Its put me off for life!

1. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I must admit, I far prefer content that is badly written because the writer is not a native English speaker -- at least there's an excuse. I can't stand people who obviously write how they speak -- neither of which is correct. Sausage dread -- love it!

10. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Nell....I think I saw that one!!    LOL......I tawt I taw a putty tat!......Yeah, that one about the sausage......what a wiener!!!    LOL!

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol! hiya paula! yes that totally confused me! I thought what? er no, can't be!

11. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

"Sausage Dread" would be a great name for a band.

Just saying.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL! yes Freddy, it would be a brilliant rock band!

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The worst one I saw was written with the poorest grammar, sentence structure, and spelling. The man said he was in special ed classes in school. I think he had a hubber score of 85. I could not believe the score. Three or four of us flagged his profile, and then he was gone.

2. fpherj48 profile image62

Fat Freddy.....LOL!  You know, I hate to agree...but sadly, you're right!!  "Let's go listen to "Sausage Dread!"  I hear they're great!"  Oh God.

3. profile image0
      Jane Ardenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ha ha.  it would!!!

12. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Like Freddy the cat there, I used to hub hop to help weed out hubs like that. I found one once and it was clearly spun with a software. The words were all jumbled and made no sense. I wish I could find the forum I posted an excerpt on.

13. vmd7878 profile image60
    vmd7878posted 10 years ago

Mine, I am new here and just published two hubs. I am waiting for them to be approved or not approved. I am not very good at article writing, but I was told that it would help with getting items noticed.

1. Sulabha profile image76
      Sulabhaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear vmd7878,
      I liked your modest approach. And I will sure read your hubs.
      In my life, I have read many things. I don't remember the worst, but I do remember the good ones, which have helped me to evolve as a good human being.

2. profile image0
      Jane Ardenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ah.. thats so lovely.. I love a humble person.  I must tiptoe onto your page

14. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Oh let me count the ways.

15. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I tried to find the hub - no luck.  Needed the laugh, though. 

Guess I'll have to wait for the album to be released.

OK, Marcy....I'll send you the LINK....ha ha...get it?   sausage? link?  Never mind.  I need sleep.  "Happy New Year," girl!

I would like to personally thank Relache for all the "FUN" her question has created.

16. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I don't know if it's just my obsessive need for structure and consistency (as well as being a raging Grammar Nazi), but most of the Hubs I come across are painful for me to look at. There are some really good, consistent, well-structured Hubs out there, but they are the precious minority.

17. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Hi fpherj48. Sleaze is definitely a word. You just have to know how to spell it. lol. smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, for the phrase fpherj mentioned, 'sleeze' is a nice amalgamation between 'sleaze' and 'sleep.'

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Marcy.smile

2. fpherj48 profile image62

OH Wow....is my face red!   I thought I had looked up both spellings......and didn't find either.   So it's not sleeze, as in sneeze, squeeze, breeze., freeze......it's sleaze, as in .........?   I shall not forget this!  Thank you, LongTimeMother!   Mother's always know best!

lol. I can't believe I just positioned myself as an authority on sleaze.

I often remind my kids there is an exception to every rule. This is just one of the examples I've used over the years when teaching them about spelling. smile

LOL...That's funny!  Not only will I remember you as an authority on "sleaze"....but as a devoted mother, who teaches her children how to spell it!   LMAO.......kidding, kidding.......

And warns them to avoid it!! smile

18. JoeYoung22 profile image89
    JoeYoung22posted 10 years ago

Am I the only one who checked this thread out to see if any of my hubs were mentioned?  wink

Yep! Lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)