Editor's Choice hub traffic ridiculous drop

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Last week I opted back in to the EC program and woke up the next morning to see three of my hubs marked as EC with one of them being one of my better performing hubs. Despite my reservations I decided to watch and give it a chance.

During the past week one EC hub dropped from 25+ views to 5 views per day and still dropping. I still decided to watch to see if my better performer would be affected negatively. I noticed it has been gradually dropping but still hoped it was normal fluctuations. This hub usually stays on top whether it's a weekend or holiday only reducing by a view views.

I woke up this morning to find the views dropped from 230+ to 56. I have not seen this amount of daily views on that hub for months. As a matter of fact that hub sometimes go over 300 per day. This is not my usual weekend drop....this is ridiculous!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh! one of my editors choice hubs receives high traffic. It did before and it still does. Not much of a change in the rankings.

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's great Brandon. I can't do anything about it now anyway since it's been only a week since I opted back in. I'll just watch fro the next couple of months.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Come to think about it, what Izzy mentioned is what happened to me too. So hang in there, don't worry about it as you can't do anything anyway. Focus on stuff you can work on instead. At least that's how I get my mind off such problems.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest you just give it time, Cardisa.
      One of my better performing hubs on another sub was getting thousands of daily views at its peak, but this had tailed off to 250+.
      Then it became EC and the traffic fell to less than 100 for a couple of weeks before it started climbing again.
      It is now in the 300 - 400 daily range which is OK.

Thanks Izzy. Do you think it's due to the URL change?

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As long as HP picks hubs of mine that are currently getting zero or near-zero traffic, I am happy to participate in the EC experiment. However, if HP were to pick one of my money hubs, I would immediately panic and disengage from the program.

That's what I thought but seeing I have to wait another 50+ days to opt out, I am pulling my hair out big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Now that is grim... Go click it anyway. A long shot, but you never know...

4. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You really need to give it a few months minimum. Initial traffic reduction is normal when a url is changed, even when there is redirect in place.

It's a bit like when you change the title - the same thing tends to happen.

2. HollieT profile image80
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I only have one EC hub and I noticed that it lost its position in the SERPS when it became an EC (which would account for drop in views) I would imagine this might be the case with all ECs, but the traffic is slowly creeping up again. I expect it's just a matter of time before before your hub regains its position.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Changing the url of a webpage will always lose traffic on the short term.  The question is what happens after it gets reindexed and whether it picks up more backlinks and traffic at this url. I suspect not, but only time will tell.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

@HP Here are some EC candidates for you...

My Sales Tax hub.
    My PTA hub.
    My American Societal Problems hub.
    My Banks and Credit Unions hub.
    My Bookmarks hub.
    My Flash Fiction hub.
    My Credit Score hub.
    My Car Loan hub.
    My Inspirational Poem hub.

Gems, every one; guaranteed to go viral within 90 days. big_smile

@Everyone. Want to pick on my hubs? Go ahead. I'd rather be embarrassed and get something fixed, than remain oblivious. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Come to think of it... Cardisa, why not also post your own EC candidate hubs?

And the same for everybody else.

We could keep HP busy for awhile... big_smile

1. HollieT profile image80
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've nominated your credit union hub, very useful info and I hate the big banks!

Thanks! I was unaware we could pester HP directly about EC candidate hubs; where does one go to do that? big_smile

On your feed, just below your profile on the right hand side, there's a link to nominate for EC.

Thanks. So as to not get categorized into the pest category ¹, I'll use it sparingly.

¹ too late

2. Cardisa profile image87

You mean post hubs from my own list?

1) My hub about Gang Violence. I actually thought that would have been the first hub to become EC.
      2) My Facts About Jamaica hub
      3) My Things To Do In Jamaica hub
      4) My Sugarcane Cultivation and Sugar Making hub

6. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

When I first received my first few EC hubs (on my best performing ones too), my traffic took a huge nosedive. Some hubs traffic decreased drastically, but once I opted out, traffic has climbed back up again to what it was before. I agree, with psycheskinner and Susana, that the URL change will probably decrease your search traffic for a while but then it could pick back up again. I don't know because I didn't stay with the EC program long enough to see any results. hmm

The problem is, however, if you opt out of the EC program after the hub has been made an EC, you're back to square one. Whatever back links the hub gained when it was on your subdomain are lost, and whatever back links the hub gained as an EC are lost.

My one EC has not been an EC long enough to see whether there may be any long term gains, but if I revert then its lost some age again. (I think) Nevertheless, for now, I wouldn't want any more EC's until I see how the one EC hub performs overtime.

When I opted out of EC, I had only one hub selected. At the time the hub was gaining steady traffic then EC came and it plunged. I don't know what possessed me to give it another try and did so about a week ago now I regret it but will wait to see what happens.

1. susi10 profile image96
        susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The effects of your EC hubs' traffic are the same as mine, but at least you will be able to see what happens over the long-term. I suspect that traffic should increase for you, since you are on the hubpages main domain. Only time will tell.

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Sorry to hear, Cardisa. But glad to get an update of what can happen. It seems too unpredicatable. I have opted out twice already, currently out.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

When the url changed from your sub to the top level domain, there are re-directs in place so your hub should not lose link juice or age. Someone clicking on your old link should still get taken to the new link. When subs were first introduced, most of us saw a rapid climb in hits, but not everyone. It all balanced out over time.   I wish Hp would choose  stellar but low trafficked hubs to experiment on. Then we would see if it worked. No traffic to lose but plenty to gain.

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a reduction of PR (ie: link juice) due to using 301 redirects, but most of it passes through.

Here's a good discussion on the topic: http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4097565.htm

@Hollie - I totally agree that it's problematic to keep changing from EC to non EC, especially so rapidly.

From looking at my stats, and having read what others have reported, hubs that google likes and are doing well traffic wise will do as well or better as EC (if given enough time to regain traffic). While hubs that google has never liked will fair no better as EC.

That's what I was hoping when I opted back in - that HP would choose non-trafficked stellar hubs. This hub doesn't even qualify as stellar; around 750 words, no maps, polls or anything which HP recommends. I was surprised it was chosen as EC. I have plenty of other hubs with unique content that would be qualified as stellar.

9. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

I have quite a few EC hubs and they are all doing well.  My views have increased, not decreased.

10. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

It is odd that the staff continues the EC program when, after five months, there is no proven benefit and when it actually has harmed traffic to the Hubs chosen.

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a long history to this.
      ► When HP went to subs, after about 12 months it was noticed that hubs published prior to June 2011 (I think) remained with the HP url. Staff contacted Google and hounded them over and over, but to no avail. G said that is the way it was meant to be.
      ► Then one day it happened - ALL the older hubs went to subs, unnannouced
      ► HP traffic crashed. After a month of so it was realised that one cause of this was that HP had lost its mojo with so few articles directly linked to it.
      ► EC was born to solve this issues by picking the cream of the crop to be extracted from the Subs, to be linked back to the mother ship URL.
      ► The benefits are to HP, primarily, and the rewards to authors have been a mixed bag.
      Anyway this is my take on EC - IMO of course!!!!!

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

how do you make arrows?

hold down ALT key and while holding it down - enter '16' using the number pad with Num Lock On.  You can also copy and paste   'em.  ► Ha Ha
          http://www.alt-codes.net/

1. profile image0

Oh... I don't have the number pad... curses, I'll never make an arrow.

Don't despair - I use Ubuntu and they don't work in that land.
              BUT just copy and paste them from the link, or from below. Store them in a text file for later use and Hey Presto!!! Take Away!

1. profile image0

lol, Ive never needed them before... I don't think I've ever written anything that required a symbol of any kind. I just want to be *able to. I just used an asterisk... feeling pretty technologically advanced right now. smile

Come on! Strut your stuff with and ALT symbol or two!!!
                  §▼§

1. profile image0

I can't... I'm part of the uneducated group... Getitrite told me so. It's ok, I've come to accept it.

2. Writer Fox profile image33
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But, HP didn't pick the Hubs with the most traffic for the EC program. The staff thought that changing the Hub URLs from the subdomain would mean that Google would like the Hubs more.  That hasn't happened at all. In fact, Google often penalizes sites which make rapid, comprehensive changes strictly for SEO purposes – which is exactly what HP did. 

Also, millions of links to the Topic pages were removed when most Hubs had their navigation changed so that they are no longer linked to the Topic pages.

"HP didn't pick the Hubs with the most traffic for the EC program" - Yes, but HP has their own agenda re:stellar - they wanted 14,000 (good ones) or so, to save the mother ship. IMO
          PS I think the plunge happened in May 2013 or there abouts - just after G allocated older hubs to  subs.

3. IzzyM profile image87

Really?
        I was here all that time and missed that bit about my hub urls staying on the top level domain. No way to check now, of course.
        My personal traffic crashed in the September, along with a fair number of hubbers, most of whom have since left HP having tried everything they could to bring traffic back up.
        I spent literally months editing and re-editing hubs and writing new hubs but no matter what I did, Google did not send me traffic.
        Finally, I gave up and started new subs.
        Some of them have done OK, and only recently Google has started sending traffic to this sub again, after over 2 years in the wilderness.
        I remember something in the forums about some hubs only showing on the top level domain in Google.
        Not mine - mine didn't show at all. Plagiarised copies of my hubs showed on page 1 instead of mine, when searching for exact titles. When I got them taken down, mine still never showed in position 1, Google choosing to display an almost exact match instead.

I'm not alone in this, and I never did learn why.

I wonder if I re-optimized my hubs would I see a rush of traffic? Not got time to do edits now, I'm afraid. One day, I might try it on one or two to see what happens.

Meanwhile, QAP is probably the best thing HP have ever done, for all of us.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Right. About 8 months ago. Spring 2013. I thought you meant after the initial shift to subdomains which happened in 2011. That was the year I was talking about. Sorry about the confusion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)