Do We Choose Our Nationality?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (38 posts)
  1. God shet profile image59
    God shetposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10985740_f520.jpg

This is something very interesting. If you were given the citizenship of another country just after you were born to your biological parents - you would have become someone very different, as a person, from what you are right now. The general environment of a country [weather + race of the people who inhabit the country + its history + its politics + culture + its education system + its economy etc.] plays a havoc role in determining what a child, who is born into that country, would become into adulthood.

I can't imagine a child who has been born in Las Vegas, would retain the same personality if we send him/her to spend the first twenty years of life in Uganda, or in Iraq.

Currently, there is no system anywhere in the world, which allows young children (or adolescents) to choose a different country once they've gained (and developed) a certain degree of conscious awareness in this world.

I feel, that in the future, something like this might indeed happen.

There are many benefits of such a system. Because this system allows the individual to choose the right cultural environment during the initial phase of his/her life - after this vital phase he/she may return to his/her country of origin - or just may choose to go elsewhere!

The point is: this system allows the kind of freedom that we all expect when we are enter a college: the freedom to choose the right subject that suits us. Some people might be interested in engineering, while others might like to explore art or literature. It's unhealthy if we force them anything else that doesn't interest them.

What I'm suggesting is just the same freedom of choice - but on a grand scale. The freedom to predesign life experiences.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image59
      Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a ridiculous idea. lol lol

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's as ridiculous as the concept of au pair - or the concept that a company can make billions of dollars by letting people share their pets' picture with each other. Ha ha ha!

Sorry you don't understand. wink

Thank you for informing us.

Well, if you don't understand why it is a ridiculous idea, I don't think informing you will be worth the effort. But - good luck letting 7 year olds move to a foreign country based on what they think is the right cultural environment for them. lol

It's worth noticing that you are stuck by the concept of 7 years olds.

Sorry you don't understand. How frustrating for you. I am more struck by how ridiculous your idea is. wink

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why have any boarders at all?

We don't really have the freedom to study anything we want, we are prohibited by two things. The first is money, the second is intelligence. One may like math but suck at it and would fair well taking an engineering course.

That being said I won't be following this thread.

Thank you for your interesting input.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Your point is allusive and therefore eludes me.
    For instance:
    1. "The general environment of a country...plays a havoc role"  What do you mean by, *havoc role*?
    " Havoc: noun
    widespread destruction:
    verb
    lay waste to; devastate."

2. "I feel, that in the future, something like *this* might indeed happen."  Like what, exactly?

3. Your question was: "Do we choose our nationality…" When? 
    - before birth or sometime after?

4.  What does "grand scale" refer to ?

5. How does one predesign *experience*, which in my mind, is a play-it-by-ear kind of a thing?

Pardon My Confusion

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11190975_f1024.jpg

Let's make it realistic. Let's imagine an 18 years old American young adult who has an interest in Buddhism, and that he wants to go to Thailand to experience it.

Let's imagine a 20 years old young adult who lives in Thailand, who is deeply interested to explore and learn about the Silicon Valley.

Now, what we can do is to provide an inter-national platform between these two countries, whereby they (in this specific case: America & Thailand) exchange these two young men for a specified period, let's say, for 2 years, to let these two people fulfill their dreams.

The obvious question might arise, which is, what these young men would do during their stay in those countries where they had never been before.

Two things to say about that.

First. Both these visas will only be issued under the full consent of the two sovereign states - when both sides agree that this endeavor would benefit both sides - and no side would face any loss as a consequence of the issuance of these visas.

Both of those young men will be given this ('life experience') visa only if they can specify any 'solid' achievable goal that they would try to achieve during their stay.

During his stay, the American student may delve deep into the subject of 'Practical Usefulness of Buddhism in the 21st Century'. He might study the minds of the young Buddhists who join the Thai monasteries at a very early age, when they haven't developed much understanding about themselves, and the world.

He would document their real motives behind joining Buddhism, its connection with their families' financial condition, its connection to their parents' understanding of Buddhism and its practices and the core philosophy.

He might write a book incorporating these interesting findings, upload relevant videos, and showcase the real face of Buddhism for everyone to see. It might demonstrate the fact that Buddhists everywhere are just too deluded to appreciate the true joy and freedom of (Western) Materialism. And his work might impact people's lives.

The Thai student may set the goal of founding a website that allows people to sell their artistic paintings online, without hiring a conventional Art-Gallery, which acts as a broker between the artist and the customer of the painting, and makes the artist drastically dependent on their services, and steals a lot of money which should've gone to the artist.

It requires him to come to Silicon Valley, where he may meet software developers and investors in person, to materialize this innovative idea.

He may not at all stay there for 2 years. He may return after 3 months after he has successfully made the relevant connections. During his stay, he may even sustain and support himself by cleaning public toilets - but that doesn't really matter, as long as he is achieving his goal.

There are currently many student visas offered my many countries throughout the world, oftentimes issued under the mutual partnerships between various universities and colleges.

But these visas have a very narrow range of accessibility, driven and run by an outdated ideology of human nature and its potential. What I'm suggesting is to broaden our awareness to accommodate the reality of the human spirit by implementing this new generation of visas.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Well, I think its a great idea!  I believe the exchange of awareness of East and West is very vital. so, I liked this particular scenario. You could set up a blog site and facilitate this idea, shet.  But it really could be any country. Schools traditionally called a similar program Foreign Exchange, but it only involved high school students. They would live with sponsoring families.

Thank you! Yes, there are many such programs - but on quite a narrow scale. Personally speaking, I believed a lot of things about other countries while I was young - to be factually correct - only to discover later how different those views are from reality.

I know many people who would love this idea - and be benefited. There are so many areas of interests in each country of our world!

Spain may attract would-be architects, America may attract people who are interested in digital technology, Norway may attract people who are interested in social welfare, India may attract people who are interested in Spirituality, so on and so on!

Thanks again.

I'll try to develop this idea. May spread it as well! It's vital that we seek ways to help the human consciousness blossom to its fullest potential.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

So what exactly is the point here?  As soon as people are autonomous they can apply to change their citizenship.  Which seems pretty much the only rational way for things to be.

5. God shet profile image59
    God shetposted 9 years ago

Here's another idea: To help people get additional monetary support. We can start a website where the participants of 'life experience' visa would upload all the interesting material (that are safe for them to upload) during their stay in the new country - pictures, videos, written articles - all these, sharing these with people all over the world. We can connect this to their Facebook profiles, to increase the interest and reliability of the shared material.

There would be ads on this website's pages. If they get clicks - the money would be sent to the participants' accounts to support them during their stay.

The whole this may begin this way: I came to this (proposed) website's homepage through (being signed in) my Facebook account. I create an account on this website, and write down my 'goal' on this website's 'wall' on the homepage.

The site administrator(s) redirects this request to Facebook. Facebook verifies my account and reviews my 'goal'. Once assured, Facebook sends a proposal both to my government, and the nearest embassy of the country where I want to stay. I'm then called for an interview.

If they find everything satisfactory - they issue the 'life experience' visa.

I post about this success on the 'life experience' website. I may expect to mind a few followers, and even sponsors!

Young children are not allowed to open facebook accounts. wink

They may wait a few years.

But by that time they will have been assimilated into their native culture. wink

They are being given an option to experience another one of their choice.

They have that option now.

"There are currently many student visas offered my many countries throughout the world, oftentimes issued under the mutual partnerships between various universities and colleges.

But these visas have a very narrow range of accessibility, driven and run by an outdated ideology of human nature and its potential. What I'm suggesting is to broaden our awareness to accommodate the reality of the human spirit by implementing this new generation of visas."

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2636881

Oh - sorry - I thought you were suggesting that young children should be given the opportunity to choose a different country once they've gained (and developed) a certain degree of conscious awareness in this world.

My mistake. wink

You may correct that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)