World banking/corporations and their misconception

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

In Costa Gavras's EXCELLENT movie "Capital", it is said : "Banks bleed people 3 times. First: the market wants blood, you relocate, workers lose their jobs. Second: you bleed them as customers. Third: via Europe's debts you zap countries and their citizens are bled. Worker, customer, citizen are the same guy, so you screw him 3 times.... We relocate and create unemployment, raise prices to enrich stockholders and break the social system to pay off debts...." Isn't it what is all about, after all? Your opinions?

1. rhamson profile image69
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We have our own version in the US. The banks lend at sub prime rates to those knowing they can't afford it. They default and the banks try to bundle and sell. Those that they can't sell they foreclose and create a loss the government bails them out on and they get the house back at a reduced price. Only in America.

maxoxam41posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was referring to the fact that customers bring their money to the banks. Banks charge interest rates to use it through their services. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I charge the bank an interest rate for using my capital? What does really banks bring to the majority of people? Nickels and dimes in comparison to what they bring?
        The market wants blood. Corporations relocating and it's the death of an economy. Detroit is a perfect example. Supermarkets now are developing self checkout, what does it mean? That in a short term cashiers will disappear. What is the result? Less costs. Unemployment and the automation of the economy. Everything comes down to the diminution of the cost and consequently more capital (but you know that).
        Since you seem to have at least some economical knowledge, can you explain me why the consumer, the citizen needs inflation (without boring me with the so-called economists' views of the economy)?
        Isn't the US citizenry paying for the Fed, Wall Street's conscious miscalculations? Isn't the US debt worth $16 trillion?http://www.usdebtclock.org/sources/transparent2.gif

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can't speak for you but I don't pay my bank one cent for the "privilege" of giving them my money.  I DO have a loan with them, but totally at my discretion and not theirs.

Supermarkets do away with cashiers because consumers demand it.  If you don't like it use a cashier line (still available in every store I know of); if enough people do it the self check out lines will disappear.  But they won't because people are willing to exchange a small bit of their effort to reduce costs.

Consumers and citizens don't need inflation; what makes you think they do?  Because they keep demanding more money for the same work load?  The bottom line is that a very large percentage of the cost for almost every product in the world is labor - raising labor costs will inevitably drive inflation.  Not the other way around.

I speak for the majority. Then since banks don't gain from their customers explain me their extravagant earnings. They invest lambda citizen's money taking unconscious risks, they create, produce NOTHING. They just speculate with people's money. Again if you bring to them more money monthly than they give you in return why is it that people are not asking for interest rates from the banks since they are using their money?
            Consumers demand it. Really? When? I want quicker lines, I don't want people fired. I want more employees to serve me. More employees, more efficiency, quicker services... Why is it that people have to suffer the consequences of the greed of corporations? If it is your view of a prosperous economy it is not mine.
            If you refer to Japan, economists/politicians are crying because the Japanese economy is experiencing deflation. Everybody agrees upon privileging inflation. Nowadays in mostly mainstream media experts fear deflation and parallelly  support raising inflation, in what way again inflation is good for the consumer's purchasing power? It is good for the corporations. Since the corporative interests are antinomic with the public's don't I have the answer to my original question?
            By the way if we follow your logic, we raise labor (meaning salary), we raise  product costs but the problem everybody is experiencing is the rise of product cost is not followed by the rise of the salary. Again in what way inflation is good for the customer?

2. profile image54
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I cannot wait to get Tim Horton's coffee at my local Burger King in the good ol' U S of A.

That's what differentiates you from me.

1. profile image54
          retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I understand what makes an economy work and what does not. Watch the accelerating exodus of American corporations as those ignorant of how economics works attempt to crack down on the, all too reasonable, effort to reduce tax and regulatory burdens.

You are telling me that corporations if they could they would stay in the US? You are telling me that 10% in taxation strangles their outrageous turnovers? You are telling that they would still prefer to target an agonizing market (the US) versus a growing one (China, an example among others...)?
            Since I don't understand why don't you try to explain it to me? I am all ears.

3. profile image0
      jgshorebirdposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As always maxoxam41, you see the trees and the forest not.  Banks process fiats, printed or e-printed by governmental agencies, in this day and age, which devalue faster than tissue paper or e-paper.  The banks are required by law, in most countries, to use fiat monies in this manner.  You argue banking issues, when the whole monetary system, for which it stands, is crumbling.  Banks do not steal your fiats.  You are perfectly welcome to stuff them into your socks or leave them on deposit.  The risk the banks now take, is that the devaluation of your government credits tend to erode profits - how they pay the rent - faster than they can recoup said losses.  Hence the low rates of interest.  In a sound monetary system, not configured with rules ordained by Kings, imbuing government credits with vast non-wealth, one would have a choice to deposit intrinsically valuable assets or check/notes thereof, into one's bank or mattress of choice.  Your regurgitation of some off beat documentary, lacking any credibility I'll posit, bespeaks your constant conspiratorial anti-Pollyanna bent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)