Proxy servers showing HubPages content

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

I found this, a Vietnam HubPage complete with today's feed.  How is this possible?

http://www dot gooadv dot com/search.php?search=hubpages.com&p=1&id=

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They are showing the HP site in a frame.  In other words, the content is not posted on their site.  You are seeing your personal information because you are logged in to HP.  Use a different browser, do not log in to HP, and you will not be able to see your activity.

You could send Paul E. an email and ask that he block the IPs of that website from accessing HP:

NS27.NETKL.ORG   103.246.204.111
      NS28.NETKL.ORG   103.246.204.112

How did you find that site???????????

sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All I did was look for sallybea hubpages and found hundreds of results.  I am still feeling shocked by the scale of the misuse of my pages.

2. sallybea profile image94

Writer Fox, I have made a request to HubPages to have them block the IP.  Will wait to hear the outcome.
        Thanks for your help.
        Sally

Cool.  I'm glad you did that.

They do have advertising on the page, so they are making money.  I can't imagine how they actually bring viewers to that site, though, and if you look at the homepage, there's no search feature or any way to find the content.

Perhaps you can help with this one - what is this http://loglr dot com/i/62048

It's a frame, too.  See the writing at the very top to the right: "Close Frame"

Here are the IP addresses:

Thanks Writer Fox

2. sallybea profile image94

That one has been reported too, will have to wait and see if it is acted upon.

2. colorfulone profile image80
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A sleuth on HubPages!

smile

2. Matthew Meyer profile image69
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

These are proxy sites, so they are not actually copying the content per se (it isn't actually copied on the server)

Proxy servers can be used by people to access content that may otherwise be blocked by their ISP or country in which they reside and are not necessarily malicious.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

So for this URL, if you change it to another sites, it will show that content as well.
      http://www dot gooadv dot com/search.php?search=aol.com&p=1&id=

I have sent this information to our engineering team to see if we can and would like to block such sites.

Hello Matthew,
        That is very reassuring, thank you very much.
        Sally

2. Mark Johann profile image61
        Mark Johannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this wonderful insights about the proxy sites/server.

3. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let's be very clear about this Matthew - this is something that MUST get a response from HubPages for two reasons.

1) Google does not like duplication. We know this. This content was found in a response to a search query. Hence if HubPages content is being duplicated widely than that of and in itself will be a reason why Google will not like HubPages. It was my understanding that HubPages was trying to regain favour with HubPages.

2) The content on HubPages is copyright to the content creators - and my guess is that most will only want to see their content placed on HubPages and NOT see it duplicated on proxy sites. In other words there are two parties to the decision-making on where this content is seen.

If you are unable to work with your engineers and Google to ensure that these sort of sites get removed by Google then I'm afraid that you will find that content creators will start finding new homes for their content.

I know that ex-lensmasters have been reporting more problems with this sort of thing since their content arrived at HubPages than they ever experienced at Squidoo.  This has been reported in the forums for a few weeks.

My guess it's something to do with the reduction of article sites. Hubpages has become a magnet for this sort of proxy site that wants and needs content.

This is a problem which is not going to go away anytime soon unless HubPages gets involved now and starts taking action on a regular and routine basis.

I look forward to you reporting back on this.

In the meantime if people want to see if this is a problem affecting them just search Google with "your hubber name + HubPages" .

1. Matthew Meyer profile image69
          Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The content is not being copied and it should not show up as dupe. The Proxy is merely providing a window that shows you the site.
          You can see a bit more explanation in my post above. http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2711298

1. makingamark profile image70
            makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I see something duplicated in the responses listed by Google in its search index then in my book that is duplication.  Your argument is Google will ignore it. My argument is that if Google is ignoring then why is it serving it up in responses to search queries?

The wikipedia article (re the link you referenced) is about as clear as mud.

colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

So weird.
    I am on the Vietnam HubPages site right now typing this.

i wonder how that is possible!

1. colorfulone profile image80

What is even more curious to me is, WHY would someone do that.
        It doesn't appear that there would be anything to gain by doing that.

The fact that they can get right into the system and you can post things from there seems very alarming to me.

1. Susana S profile image94
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They don't get into the system smile

It's just a proxy website and nothing to worry about.

Here's an explanation of what a proxy website is: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/97314?p … ost2078195

That is interesting, maybe accounts for the fact that I never heard anything from staff anyway.

2. Colin Quartermain profile image89
          Colin Quartermainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Might want to watch the site - it got flagged by my anti-virus as a phishing site, and according to google has previously hosted malware and trojans

I really do wonder how sites like this are allowed to exist.  Definitely something staff here should be looking into.  More shocking is how my username plus HubPages and my hubs are being used to drag people onto sites which are completely unrelated to what I write about.  Of course there are the usual individuals using my work for their own intent as well.

I didn't get any warnings, but since you did Colin, it is most likely best to stay off that site. Thanks!

Neither did I get a warning.

3. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

i just hope that security is addressed seriously here in HP. The more popular you are in the web the more you become the target of these people. Given the scale of the copying, HP should really intervene.

4. Mark Johann profile image61
    Mark Johannposted 9 years ago

I believe this is just some kind of a application which is like a Vietnam App Browser inside a Google Chrome Browser.

5. Lee Hansen profile image74
    Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

In the case of proxy servers, Google should have checking code in their indexing algorithm to verify and not penalize those servers. I think the proxy server system is one way Asian nations get around censorship or funnel Western content to academic or other communities. Matthew?

The problem being as far as I can see, is that these sites are being used in order to earn an income from Adsense without the owners actually doing any of the writing..  I object to my work being used in this way.  Am I wrong?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)