Filtering Hub summaries (again)

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Please do something to the filters so that Hub summaries as graphically-cluttered as the below can be found.  This can't be helping.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12356808_f1024.jpg

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for bringing this up.
      We discussed this today and are going to do some additional research to see how prevalent such summaries are.
      Please share the Hub with that summary via email to team@hubpages.com

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

While you are looking at the Summary, HP needs to change the limit from 200 characters to 157 characters (including spaces and adjusting for number of capital letters used), in keeping with what Google will actually display on SERPs. Since this is coded as the Description Tag, it is a critical element of SEO.

1. flycatcherrr profile image67
          flycatcherrrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1
          200 characters seems a tad arbitrary - but I must admit I haven't delved. Perhaps there's a search engine or social network (more important to HP traffic than Google) that's designed to use this length of excerpt / description?

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I wrote a "summary" like that, I'm sure I would have the hub unfeatured and be told it was self serving spam, directed to selling to my audience.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
              Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The purpose of a Description Tag IS to sell your audience; it is to sell your audience to click through from a SERP to your webpage (Hub) and see your content. It is also to tell Google exactly what the webpage is about.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
                Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Writer Fox,
                I understand. I just had a whole slew of hubs that I thought were unfairly not featured after they were featured since that began, and was told that some long hubs with only one or two Amazon capsules were spammy. Then I began a new blog, and although links aren't active, put the address in my profile, and had trouble with that too. So it's hard to find a balance between getting attention to your work, and following draconian rules.

But I seem to have found it, the hubs are featured again. I never have trouble with the summaries.

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd give you an exact help ticket number to go find my report, but efficiency and accountability in HubPages customer service appears to still be a lesser focus of technological investment.

It's somewhere in your queue of flagged Hubs from three days ago.

3. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Matt, I just sent you an email with a link to the hub relache is referring to.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I passed that info on to the team looking into this issue.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Take a look at yesterday's HOTD/Editor's Choice Hub 'How to Draw Tangerines with Colored Pencils' and notice the Summary.  That's what happens when the author doesn't write a Summary and the first sentences of the Hub are used instead. Imagine what Google thinks about that Description Tag!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12356890.png

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  I better go over my work...

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought directing people to credit you or spread the word about your hub was against the TOS.  This is one of the worst summaries I have seen and no matter how good the article does not, in my opinion, deserve any type of accolade.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's nothing in the TOS that prohibits you from asking readers to credit you if they copy contents of your hub.  If you would bother to actually look at the hub, you will see that the author did not purposely put that in his summary; that text is the caption under his first image.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Draw-Tan … ed-Pencils

It's the fault of HP for automatically grabbing the first lines of text to fill in the description when the summary box is left empty.  In this case, the first lines of text happened to be a caption.

3. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

It is BLING?

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I am extremely curious to know why admin made that change (maybe two years now) where the HubPages system was switched so that we as users all get alerted to fill in summaries but then no part of the filtering or QA process reviews that written text.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Related to this issue, QAP should include a review of the summary - that is one of the key areas for discovering spun or copied content.

The QAP process should include a review of the profile text as well (I know, QAP is supposed to be anonymous, but that might be counter productive. If a Hubber has an empty profile, that is a red flag. If the profile is illiterate, then they should not be allowed to publish on the site - that should be an automatic restriction. Anyone who cannot write a profile surely cannot write hubs.

Back to the summaries - when we use the Hopper, it doesn't show the summary. Far too many hubs get through QAP with serious spelling errors or grammar deficiencies (not to mention examples such as Relache posted).

BUT - what a surprise - some of these hubs have outstanding writing, worthy of textbooks!  Gosh, I wonder where they suddenly learned how to write, and why they can't manage a 150-word summary or (often) a decent profile?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)