Wondering if any one could offer advice

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. iyoung03 profile image73
    iyoung03posted 14 years ago

I'm thinking of starting a review site.  Mainly fiction book reviews at first, but then expanding to other genres and possibly even products.  I was wondering if anyone could offer advice?

Like would it be better to have reviews in a blog like format or separated by category?

I would assume at first I would get the books to be reviewed, but then how do you get people to start sending you their book to be reviewed, and do you charge for reviews? or do you mainly get revenue from ads and affiliates?

Any advice would be welcome and much appreciated as I am fairly new to online business'

Thanks!

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blogs have categories. Have you ever used Wordpress?

Otherwise, there's no harm in publishing a review as a hub.

Once you have a track record, and your writing is quality, you can contact publishers and ask them for a review copy. I've done that once. I did a Star Wars ezine and there was an interesting book that came out... it must have been 10 years ago now, it was comparing the Star Wars saga to religion and the theological threads it contained. I can't remember the name of the book though I must still have it around here somewhere. I wrote to the publisher, gave them a link to my site, and they sent me a copy of the book.

It related directly to what I was doing as a writer and a fan. They wanted a link to the review when I was done in exchange for the book.

It's not hard to do. But I had something like 50+ ezine 'issues' behind me. So I wasn't some random guy hitting them up for a freebie.

I've only done that once and had 100% success. Who knows, that success rate may have dropped to 50% if I tried again. Though I've never let rejection hold me back. I would have pursued a 66% success rate if I didn't get what I wanted the second time. smile

Adsense and Amazon would be the most obvious revenue programs to monetize your site. I wouldn't charge for a review, because what if the review is that it sucks? Or worse yet, you say it's good even though it's not.

One important word of a advice though, seeing that you're new, I'd be cutting your teeth on the reviewing of books right here at HubPages. See if you can maintain regular output.

2. getpaidtopost profile image39
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I over the last six month have created a few review sites, using wordpress and uploading of products via csv spredsheets.

The only thing is I did a quick job, did not spend no time on revamping descriptions or anything, saying that I offer reviews on over 3 million products and over 5 million hotels so revamping the descriptions would most proberbly take me on my own about 500 years, non stop. LOL

All I would say is, to compete in this market you need some help, like a few hundred workers/staff.

An idea that I came up with is for a hubpages sort of site where people can create products and descriptions of the products, and in tern they would collect ad revenue and affiliate revenue for the products they created.

I think this the only way to do it unless you have a few million dollars spare. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Yes, you have to have written a few reviews in order for publishers to send you the books. You also have to have an established website or blog. You don't charge for reviews.
    Start with reviewing the books you already own or ones you can get out of the library.

You should sign up for Library Thing. They have an Early Reviewer's Group which offers prepublished books for review. You request the book from the list and basically they draw who will get the books.

http://www.librarything.com/er/signup

After you have a record, this site gives information on who to contact:
    http://www.lindaformichelli.com/reviewcopy/

3. iyoung03 profile image73
    iyoung03posted 14 years ago

Thank you so much for your replies.

I have actually reviewed a few books for other sites and just really like reading and reviewing books so that's where the idea to start my own site came from.

darkside:

I know blogs have categories (I actually have two blogs).  I'm afraid I didn't clearly ask my question there.  I meant should it be blog style post or should it be links to individual categories where you can read reviews that fall within a specific genre.

Uninvited Writer:

Thanks for the links!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can use Wordpress software as a website as well as a blog.  If you check out my website, www.bellydanceoz.com, it's created using Wordpress.  All the dancer profiles are actually written as posts, but you can see that I don't include an "archive" link in the sidebar.  Instead, I use a tag cloud, and I also have category links along the top.  I've also used a directory plugin to produce an alphabetical index.  Might work for you too?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice layout on your site Marisa.  I have to agree, a Wordpress site is the way to go.  But dont go for a free one, spend the few dollars and get a .com and a hosting package (name from a regisrar and host somewhere else)  There are literally thousands of plugins and free wordpress themes and templates and there are plenty of places you can go where they will build the site for you.

As for getting the books to review, start with your local library and write a few reviews then once you have something to offer, contact some of the authors on Lulu.com and offer to review their stuff but also offer them bio article to help with their self promotion.  It's called freeconomics, you offer something free hoping for a bigger payoff later.  It can take you a long way.

1. iyoung03 profile image73
          iyoung03posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's really great advice about bartering with people on lulu.com.

Thanks so much for your help!

2. iyoung03 profile image73
        iyoung03posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oooo... Ok now I get it thanks!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)