I'm trying to build a site. Can I get some advice?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Victoriaaa profile image59
    Victoriaaaposted 13 years ago

I'm trying to build a website but I'm not sure where to start. I want to design my own website logo and background digitally. Is there any software that would allow me to do this? Also, is there any software that I need to make and save webpages on? I'm starting a small business and I want to put my own hard work into my site instead of hiring someone else to create it. Any advice on building  a site will be very helpful!!

1. profile image58
      cooljazzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Victoria,

Before buying any software or products you need to establish why you want to create a website?  what sort of website or/and blog  you want.

on interent or on forum you will  find heaps of information but most of it is Rubbish.  as some of memeber have suggested you go for Word press or blog its completely free. or you can buy dreamwaeaver(bit expensive) or coffee cup. both are good. 
      you need to make choose.

if you need any help try forums and online communities.

2. bileygur profile image61
      bileygurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend to you to look at Wordpress and have some ready made templates.   Of course if you know absolutely nothing you are better of spending few bucks and by the service.

3. bubblechair profile image67
      bubblechairposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Victoria,
      First congrats on taking the plunge and starting your own business. Based on the info you have given here, it sounds like an ecommerce website builder would be the best option. Since you want to do most of the work yourself, this option will allow you to design the website and product catalog to sell anything online.

The website builder also includes special tools which help with search engine optimization and promotion. Domain name registration and hosting are part of the package. You will need this if you are new to internet marketing. Many more tools are included.

May I suggest scheduling a no-cost, no-obligation demo of the standard features included with the package? What's your budget?

<self-promotion snipped>

Please let me know if I can help - I am an entrepreneur also!

4. content profile image60
      contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Starting with Wordpress is an easy way to get your site up and running, especially if you are hosting your website on a server with cpanel because on those servers, you can install wordpress with a few clicks, which is really nice. 

If you are interested in ecommerce, then get yourself familiar with what is required.  This is a free course that tells you everything you need to know about ecommerce, it's pretty thorough.
      ecommerce training

2. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Please take my advice and install wordpress on your own host, with your own domain. Then you can choose from thousands of themes and change them to look any way you want.

You can make a full, solid website with pages and a blog, plus galleries, shopping store, whatever you want. Wordpress is very SE friendly and easy to learn.

At least as easy as any full web making software is. I own dreamweaver and never touch it thanks to wordpress. smile

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bill, I couldn't have said it better myself.

2. vmarker profile image59
      vmarkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agreed... WordPress is the best way to go!

3. ksmith88 profile image57
      ksmith88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The idea of using WordPress is great if you are looking to use a blog, which I assume is what you want.  On the other hand, if you want something a little more sophisticated (like an online community or displaying more advanced scripts) I would use Joomla or Drupal.

I guess we would need to know what your business was to give you more advice.

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even when building an online community I prefer wordpress over CMS such as Joomla and Drupal. Ii have tested both and found them slow, unweildy, and a nightmare to code.

Wordpress is a great base, and it is very easy to extend it and attach other systems.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Thisisoli, even if you want something more "sophisticated", I'd recommend Wordpress.  It's easier to understand than Joomla or Drupal.

You can use Artisteer to do your own unique design. I wrote a Hub about it. The Home and Academic edition is only $49.95 and it will do everything you need for Wordpress.

4. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must say that WP seems the way to go, using pages posts instead of blog posts makes web pages easy to create. Fine tuning is a bit more tricky, the theme's are nice and I just gotta figure out how to control the elements more now. By the way this forum is of interest as I have my first site up as of last night and am doing much of what you are talking about here smile

WP does seem the way to go even with the difficulty of figuring everything else out. I am really happy with how easy it was to add a link this facility with the theme I am using, so anyone who likes something can go ahead a tweet it to followers or on FB or other social networking sites, similar to HP and it was almost totally click, copy then paste in that order smile

3. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

ok,i personally preffer you to follow this hubber.he has some great experience and published hubs that will really help you
    <link snipped>

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

This hub will greatly help you
    <link snipped>

5. Richard Craig profile image59
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

For Graphics, if you don't have Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, I'd recommend Inkscape and Gimp.  They're free to download and completely legit.

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would definitely use Wordpress on your own host.

Image wise, you can get some pretty cheap designer services to sort you out, or do what I did and form a partnership with someone so you can trade your skills for their design services.

7. Cordale profile image72
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

I would follow the advise of the people who have posted on this topic because I was going to say the exact same. Wordpress simply cant be beat for the type of business you talk about opening.

Good luck and give me the link when you open it up so I can check it out!

8. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Lol, Wordpress has long been past being used for "blogs" its a fully functional CMS with an amazing support community that believes in open source innovation.

Wp is def the most friendly to a new user especially considering how this question was phrased.

1. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  I have looked at Drupal and Joomla as well and they are definitely not a starting point.  Joomla is ugly in my opinion.  Drupal, I am still interested in but for beginnings, WP is great.  Maybe I will stick with it anyway. 

Huge support and document base with WP.

9. SEOshortcuts profile image60
    SEOshortcutsposted 13 years ago

Wordpress.

If you want to have a facebook type of site - there's a theme for that.

If you want to have an ecommerce store - there's tons of themes.

If you want to have an interactive community with everyone having private loging - themes for that.

If the theme doesn't work - oh, you have coders for hire or you have a bajillion plugins.

Want to design a header?  Someone mentioned it: GIMP or online use Pixlr.

An easy route is to get a premium theme that has the bells and whistles you want. 

Artisteer is the most open-ended designer for WP...

A bit pricey but worth it IF you plan on designing many sites.

If you only have ONE site - Thematic.

Or Socrates.

Or Flexsqueeze if you're going e-commerce, etc...

Or free!  I'm NOT a coder, but have nearly 100 sites: all on WP. 

If you only have a handful of sites, it really was meant for people like you and me.

1. Dave Barnett profile image58
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about...GROUND ZERO!!! YukYukYuk.

10. opensourcevarsity profile image66
    opensourcevarsityposted 13 years ago

If you are new to creating websites then perhaps its best to try out a content management system for starters. 

WordPress in an excellent CMS. There are those who may say its a pure Blogging engine but believe me its not.

Complete E-Commerce based websites can be created using WordPress with a shopping cart and payment gateway integration.

Its a mature framework with a ton of easy to use plugins to that extend the core frameworks functionality.

Learning WordPress is as easy as falling off a log.  Each little success when you are experimenting with WordPress will add to your confidence until you will marvel at what you've achieved.

There are other CMS as well like Joomla and Magneto but none of them are are easy to learn and use as WordPress.

The icing on the cake is that WordPress is free to use.  Its Plugins are free to use and there are a ton of excellent WordPress Forums with helpful people willing to give you a hand if the going ever gets too tough to handle.

11. C.Scrizzle profile image59
    C.Scrizzleposted 13 years ago

I built my first website with Yahoo Sitebuilder and have stuck with it.  It's very easy to use.  I tried Frontpage and Dreamweaver but my sites didn't look the way I wanted them to.  I don't don't know HTML or any fancy coding.  I'm sure some of the other advice given by the other readers would work too depending on what you intend to with your site.

12. clintonb profile image60
    clintonbposted 13 years ago

For something basic I'd go with wordpress to set something simple up. I wouldn't think that you would need any programs to buy though. Unless you want to make something very complex etc.
    Wordpress is like a built in content management system, and google loves to crawl sites made with wordpress.

13. digitalbayer profile image33
    digitalbayerposted 13 years ago

I would suggest you to use wordpress...easy to create a blog , customize,design and promote.

14. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

I am looking at Wordpress now and it does not appear to have the facilities metnioned here in the free part - maybe I have to buy before I get the extras people are talking about - or is it that I just can't find them ?

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wordpress is completely free. There are several different components to WP; themes, plugins and 3rd party scripts.

Check out the plugins for WP here:
      http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

You can find polls, galleries, all kinds of stuff in there. smile

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, on a side note it also depends on if you download WP and use it on your own paid hosting, or if you try a free one on the WP site. Using your own hosting and downloading it gives you many more options, all free. smile

15. Publisher1 profile image59
    Publisher1posted 13 years ago

Hi, Victoria.
    Currently i have my brand new hub, where i'm talking about how to advertise your site etc. If you are interested check. Good luck.

16. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Wordpress and Blogger do pretty much the same thing.  I use both but prefer blogger as it is easier to monetise if you are not self-hosting.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are not self-hosting, you can't monetize Wordpress at all.

There are two different versions of Wordpress - Wordpress.com, which is a blogging platform like Blogger, and you're not allowed to monetize it.  Then there's Wordpress.org, which provides free software you can use to create your own website - for that you'll need your own domain name and hosting.

All the recommendations on this thread are for Wordpress.org.

17. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

There is nothing better than wordpress if you want to start.

18. adibintoro profile image60
    adibintoroposted 13 years ago

Wordpress is the best way to start your web, very easy to install and very customable. Wordpress also have friendly SEO

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)