Increase in Homeless Population Nationwide.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

What is the cause?
    What are the causes?
    Wondering.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa … gws_rd=ssl

P.S. Trolls welcome as comic relief.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Trolls welcome as comic relief." ~ you make me giggle.  smile

Low paying jobs, lack of jobs, high housing costs, high rent, utilities, cost of transportation, insurance, high costs of education, taxes, lack of affordable healthcare, lack of proper healthcare, medical malpractice, poverty, mental illness, domestic violence, drug additions...and our own government.

The homeless rate goes up and down because so many commit suicide or are killed, but more are added because of a failing government. Since I have been writing this at least one veteran just ended their life. 

I have been helping out one of my adult children for years because he doesn't have a high enough income.  He would be homeless if I didn't help financially. 

I used to take in homeless people who wanted a leg up, and foster children. Both had its rewards.

Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with "lack of jobs" and "our own government."
        There is a connection there.
        Thats what we need to explore.

Any thoughts?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I wonder if the internet has something to do with it.
    People cannot get a job anymore if they are not computer savvy.
    How can you get a job if you don't own / can't even afford a computer?
    For myself, screen focusing is very hard on the eyes.
    If I have to go on-line to fill out and submit an application, etc. I avoid it.
    Many may be leaving Hub Pages as discussed elsewhere, due to the simple cause of eye strain!

Is the computer and the internet causing our eventual demise?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"People cannot get a job anymore if they are not computer savvy."

Baloney.  They can't get an office job (outside of janitor) if they aren't computer savvy, but you are forgetting the tens of millions of blue collar jobs that never see a computer.  Digging ditches.  Plumber.  Electrician.  Framer.  Concrete laying.  Landscaping.  Painter.  Sheetrock.  The list is nearly endless of construction jobs, but it doesn't end there.  Shelf stocker.  Janitor.  Irrigation work.  Tire installer.  Oil change mechanic. 

So no, the 'net has not made jobs unavailable.  A great many jobs now include computers (which is why they are a major school requirement), but a great many do not.

Most companies expect potential hires to apply on line these days. If you want to work at Ralph's to be a shelf stocker, for instance, you MUST apply on line.
        The process is confusing and tedious.

I like to teach swimming and water aerobics during the summer. One company would not take my application except on the computer. Another company would hire me only if I had my own web site set up for insuring the participants in my exercise classes. Also, to keep up to date with certifications, I must take classes on line, these days. 
        What if it is hard on one's eyes and brain?
        You are just plain out of luck.
        whaaaa yikes!

2. rhamson profile image70
        rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Then it's got to be they love the lifestyle. Welfare, soup kitchens and sleeping in the streets really has it over a job. Look at all the wide open spaces you can explore without the inconvenience of working. At any time you can stop being lazy and get a job at something you have no education or training.

Typical. roll

You know, when I began my electrician career, the only requirement to go to work as a 1st year apprentice was to have paid the $10 license fee.  No training, no education - that was all given on the job.  Yes, you DID have to go to school (when it started) if you wanted to advance beyond the bottom of the ladder, but that had nothing to do with starting work.

2. colorfulone profile image77

There is a lot to what you said.  Years ago when I lived in a city I ran a food bank for anyone who needed food for free. It was sponsored by a church.  I had an opportunity to ask some homeless people how long they had been homeless and why they were homeless. To my surprise some would basically say what you said here.  They were living the free life.   

I don't know how many times I stopped to offer a job to people holding a sign that said "Will Work For Food"  ...  they never actually wanted to work.  I would have put them to work painting or something. 

On the other hand I was able to help some homeless people with a place to stay while giving them paying jobs so they could get a place of their own.

On top of the absolute requirement of being computer literate, it has  become increasingly complicated to live in today's world for many reasons. For one thing, there is an ever-growing list of governmental regulations, licenses and fees. And then there are increasingly difficult to attain certificates, degrees, credentials and other proofs of hire-ability. These have become very expensive not only to to attain, but also keep up to date due to renewal fees and the cost of added educational requirements. On top of that, the jobs which give the youth a feel for work, valuable hands on experience and discipline has been delegated to others. At the aquatic center where I work there are middle aged lifeguards, which is typically an excellent job for the youth. Where do the the youth find their first jobs in today's world?

And when you do finally find work, there is a mean impersonal-ness to it which is still exists.
            Bosses are hard on you, fellow employees are jealous and petty. Managers are way strict to the point of being out to get you. Secretaries are snippity and school principals put on the show.
            Am I being trollish now?

You might think so. lol

1. colorfulone profile image77

No, you are not being trollish now, nor have I ever seen you trolling in the forums.  But, just look out if I do...heehee.  smile 

You are right. In an ever increasing Godless society we are seeing more deterioration of good values and good will toward all especially in multicultural populated communities.  When more unity should be taught we have more division being fought because of angry racist special interest groups being paid to be activists for the cause...and much more.

"When more unity should be taught we have more division being fought because of angry racist special interest groups being paid to be activists for the cause …"

YEP! (and thanks for the positive feedback.)

3. GA Anderson profile image90
        GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, kudos to you for repeatedly speaking for the trades. That is America, not the hedge fund mangers or the office managers. (wait! you office managers are extremely important, but you are replaceable, the trades aren't)

But, (sorry, I couldn't resist, "buts" are becoming my trademark), the 'net is the new trade of our society. Like it or not, it is still a fact. You will have to start to include that in your thinking.

Just so you don't misunderstand... I think blue collar America is the real America. Let's look for a youtube of a hedge fund manager changing a tire or plumbing a kitchen, or wiring an addition.

GA

I agree, but again that's why it is being pushed so hard in schools.  We old timers would have a hard time, perhaps, starting up a new job without any computer expertise at all, but then we aren't likely to try and start a brand new career at 50 years old without having some kind of experience already.

"Some experience" MUST be paired with computer incorporation today.

Being in the trades for over forty years I have been through three big recessions and the trades come back weaker in each of them. The trades now consist of mostly service and commercial work. The residential market has been coming back but there are still a surplus of repossession homes the banks have been buying in anticipation of a surge in the economy. That is what the pricing looks to be. In the process fewer and fewer entry level workers are coming in to learn the trades. What you mostly see is immigrant labor that is semi skilled and trained for one thing only. Hardly a rounded tradesman. The carpentry trade is especially hit because the experienced tradesmen are retiring or moving on. While the government may boast about a 5% unemployment come back it is a phony claim as I know several tradesmen who are still underemployed with part time and sub contracting work.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"We can end homelessness in the U.S. by tackling its root causes, including low wages and a lack of affordable housing, and by improving support services like TANF, housing vouchers, and health care.

For more information on homelessness in the U.S.:
    National Coalition for the Homeless
    National Alliance to End Homelessness
    U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness"

http://www.studentsagainsthunger.org/pa … ss-america

This is apparently what some students believe.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Political Factors:

"Cuts in federal assistance for housing programs and social services have coincided with the rise in homelessness in the U.S. During the 1950s and 1960s, federal housing programs and services nearly eradicated homelessness; however, during the 1980s, housing programs were slashed by half and the homeless population in the U.S. began to grow.

Programs designed to provide a safety net for people living at or near the poverty line, like Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), have faced changes or cuts that have often made it more difficult or impossible for people to access services. TANF components like sanctions, work requirements, time limits, and immigrant restrictions cut many people off from benefits. Without a safety net to help, many of the lowest income people must choose between things like food, medical care, and housing to make ends meet."

The National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness
    ( Mission: "Organizes college students to end hunger and homelessness. They educate, train, and engage students to use a variety of strategies to address these problems, from direct service that meets people’s immediate needs to advocacy for long-term systemic change.")

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Economic Factors:

1. " Lack of Affordable Housing"
    2. " Low Incomes" (Over the past twenty-five years, wages for the lowest income workers have not kept pace with the increase in living costs, nor with the increase in salaries of those in the highest income brackets.)
    3. "Lack of Affordable Medical Care"

According to The National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Is the government to take care of the homeless?
    Is the government to regulate employee pay rates?
    Is the government to make sure we all have health care?
    Is the government to regulate the prices of houses?

7. lovetherain profile image81
    lovetherainposted 8 years ago

Or is it just their bad karma?

Why are the amount of people with "bad karma" increasing?
      what are they doing wrong?
      becoming mentally ill?
      becoming alcoholics?
      How come?

1. lovetherain profile image81
        lovetherainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The weak, sick, elderly and mentally ill are taken care of by society these days, when in the past they might have been ignored/killed/exposed etc.

Karma doesn't exist. No one deserves to be sick or mentally ill.

Maybe these are older folks who never figured out / saved for / a retirement plan.
            I guess I would have to go out on the field and interview people.

"Excuse me, sir, but why are you homeless at this point in time?

"Oh, Ma'am, theres a lot of reasons! Where should I begin?
          Maybe when I was born!"

I actually thought I could gather their stories / explanations, advice and words of wisdom and publish little books for them to sell for a certain low price on the streets.  I suppose it would be illegal, however.  sad

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Karma is the law of cause and effect.
          For instance, If one drinks habitually, one becomes addicted. Being an alcoholic is their karma.
          Karma may carry over into another life-time.
          They could easily become alcoholics again … through their own tendencies which they carry over.
          As I understand.

Sometimes alcoholism is rooted in loneliness and/or inability to handle life.
          In America we find a lot of isolation compared to India.
          I was just talking to a lady from India. She explained how extended families pool together in buying properties and businesses. They also get together for outings, camping and parties. Cousins and siblings all become life-long friends. Parents are strict as far as proper behavior and the older kids help keep the younger ones in line. Also, families help each other when they need help and pitch in when there are health problems.
          Well, thats what she said.
          If family members and extended families take care, help raise, guide and mentor one another, the government would not have to do what families could do.
          And we would not be taxed for it either ...
          I would say.

1. WordCrafter09 profile image66
            WordCrafter09posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nether the government (as US government assistance programs have been) nor that "Indian approach". you mentioned recognizes the importance and "sanctity" (for lack of a word I'd be comfortable with or that would better express what I'm trying to say) of the individual and/or individual family (rather than muddying things up with involving extended family AND adequately valuing and emphasizing the importance of the role between parent (particularly mother, in the case of fathers who aren't present and/or aren't emotionally available or good at relationships and nurturing - and assuming the mother is a normal, loving, skilled, mother).

The relationship with extended family is a different kind of relationship (and people can love/care about extended family members for THAT kind of relationship).  It should valued for the separate kind of thing that it is.    That relationship between parent and each child, and between parent and all the children, shouldn't be watered down and/or under-valued with the "two cents" of what sometimes amounts to "everyone and in his brother", extended family or not.

I'm not a big fan of government programs, but at least they offer a certain amount of autonomy to, say, mothers of  young children who need a place to live and develop that bond/relationship with their baby/young child without the interference of anyone who is an "outsider" when it comes to that important relationship.

REALLY, you don't want older kids "keeping younger ones in line" because they don't understand child development well enough (and if the parents did they'd know how bad older kids can be with younger ones - sometimes not even because they want to be mean but because they just don't know children as well as any care-giver really ought to.

Trouble is that welfare programs tend to trap people; and what may have worked (extended family) in a simpler and more traditional time (in the US or elsewhere) either never really worked all that well in the first place, or else doesn't work well these days.

It is because we are in a race to the bottom. The lowest denominator is what the jobs are requiring and that may include moving your job out of country. With all the hullabaloo over the minimum wage you can readily see the controversy get out of control. In spite of what some people believe that there are thousands of jobs out there they are not as plentiful as you would think. Oh yes there are jobs that pay $10.00 an hour but how far can that take you when rent, food and clothing let alone transportation is beyond that wage. Go to school and get qualified in something that the companies are trying to outsource? Think about it. As the manufacturing jobs are being lost at alarming numbers and white collar jobs are being outsourced as well where do you think those people are competing for a job. The construction industry is inundated with no skilled people competing for jobs in a declining industry.

Unless a man can make a decent wage earning a living this trend will continue until we have reached bottom.

I know.
          We never should have allowed out-sourcing, in hindsight.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I loved Saturday Night Live last Saturday with Matthew Mc Conaughey.  The Game show was perfect featuring no-nothings spouting off with their fierce opinions. I am afraid to type anything now.  What do I know?

But I will, of course.

Just maybe not here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2zyjbH … redirect=1
    here was was one skit.
    (couldn't get the one I wanted, though.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)