Delishably Is Live!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 8 years ago

The new HubPages food site, Delishably.com has launched! Feel free to stop by and check it out and congratulations to the Hubbers who have had food Hubs selected. smile

1. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image84
      cmoneyspinner1tfposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good news!  Where do we go to see a list of all the live niche sites???

Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We are working on where to display the niche sites on HubPages, but so far the sites that are currently live are tatring.com (piercings and tattoos), pethelpful.com (pets), bellatory.com (fashion and beauty), and delishably.com (food and recipes).

2. Ann810 profile image50
      Ann810posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is awesome, hopefully a few of my food sites make the transfer to Delishably.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12926952_f248.jpg

3. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christy,
      The new site looks great. Question: If we made the cut and have articles out there, what happens if we modify or edit our article here? Do the changes move to the new site? What happens if we delete an article that has been moved to the niche site?
      Peg

1. Denis Lubojanski profile image40
        Denis Lubojanskiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am having that question too. And for the new site do I have to open a new account or this hubpage account will work for me?

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your original HubPages account works for the new sites, but it will ask you to sign in with your username and password.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Your changes will be live in the Hub on the new site, though if you add spammy products or links you risk having your Hub removed from the site and moved back to HubPages. If you delete the Hub (you are still free to do so whenever you want), it will no longer show up on sites or on HubPages.

4. gerimcclym profile image96
      gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Looks great!

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like this very much.  One question:  how do you get photos to be so big and still look sharp and clear.  I think those types of photos look great, but can't figure out how to put similar types on my own hubs.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

YUm. I will visit.

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 8 years ago

Looks great and I love the logo!  One question, if we have articles on it do we have to change/add anything on our google analytics account with respect to the new website?  I'm not really sure how that works.  Thanks.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Google analytics works for page level stats.  Let us know if you see anything wonky.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
        Glimmer Twin Fanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank Paul!

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

There have been reports that content moved to new domains isn't getting tracked properly in google analytics.

I believe it's a bug fix on our side and that we need to enable cross domain tracking. Engineers will check it out today.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe also take a peek as to Google AdSense?

AxleAddict popped up on my AdSense account right away, but nary a peep from Delishably. My hub has been on Delishably awhile and has gotten enough traffic that it should have at least triggered a listing with the others.

4. randomcreative profile image88
    randomcreativeposted 8 years ago

The categories for Delishably are a bit limited at best. My hub "How to Make the Most of Your Small Kitchen" was assigned "Cooking Equipment." This hub doesn't really fit this category. Unfortunately there isn't a better category right now. While I'm frustrated about the limited categorization, I'm more frustrated that users don't have the option to edit their categories for niche sites.

There will be less categories going forward and we certainly realize that some articles feel squeezed in.  When we look at categorization across all articles, it's clear that many could be in multiple places or in better spots.

The best thing to do (for now) is to select the best category you can on HubPages.  This helps us with launching the new sites selection.

It's a bit of a balance of maintaining the site structure between how things work on HP vs new domains.  We appreciate the feedback and will consider options for categorization and site placement.  I think when we are done with the first pass of new domains, you'll likely see that articles could possibly live on other domains as well - makes it a bit more complicated. 

Our number one goal with the new sites is to create content themes.  Tatring is our oldest site (Feb 8 launch), so you can tell all of this is pretty new.  Everyone is working really hard to figure these issues out and launch sites so others can enjoy the benefits.  For now, we are prioritizing the selection of content, ensuring the quality of that content for each site we launch.  We are collecting the feedback and trying to incorporate it into our processes and tools, so please keep it coming!

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years ago

I went to the site and found one thing I thought would interest me. I was elated at how extensive the page was. Of course the layout was familiar, and it should be - the layout here is the most attractive I know of.

So I give it a thumbs up. I only looked at one, but it was a 'wow' page for extensiveness and attractiveness.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Hey, I made the cut! big_smile My turkey meatball hub made the Meat Dishes category but it's not easy to find. Will the subcategory of "turkey" be added? That would help.

Congrats to two of my favorite recipe hubbers who basically own Delishably: Glimmer Twin Fan and Gordon Hamilton. Wow! Every other hub on the site is yours, lol.

I hope my hub traffic returns soon to where it was before the move. That's the only thing, bittersweet, but to be expected from what I've heard.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, janshares! Awesome news!

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jesse. I got another email today for another one. Woo hoo! smile hmm neutral  Will have to wade through the transition of very low traffic in the meantime as a result of being a "chosen one."

Update: My turkey meatball hub has one view. Traffic remains low. sad

Hmm..Well, I hope that changes.

7. justholidays profile image67
    justholidaysposted 8 years ago

Looks like HubPages didn't only invest in niche domains, they also invested in acquiring SSL certificates. Niche sites are on an https protocol; which is what Google wants nowadays.

Yet for a "food" (and everything related theme), color is missing.

8. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

That looks great. Congratulations to the selected hubbers and their recipes. I hope one of my recipes will be included  someday.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Yay. Another niche subject that I have no Hubs in. (kicks rock)

Hurry up and get the niche sites for rock 'n roll music and trashy movies goin', willya? I'm dyin' over here!! big_smile

Hold tight my friend.

10. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 8 years ago

None of my recipe hubs was included. Am I out of luck or are you still adding?

We are doing an initial pass for each site, but by no means are we done selecting.

We are taking as much care as we can to ensure the new sites are high quality, so the best thing Hubbers can do is to fix up hubs as much as they can.  The cleaner/higher quality hubs are, the faster we can go. 

It's also important to remember that the processes we are using are all new and still need to be tuned.  Our hope is that as we work these new processes out, we can go faster.

Until then, I've started to fix my articles up by doing the following.
      - Reading the article out loud to make sure it reads well and naturally.  We've had a lot of feedback from Google and what we call keyword stuffing is essentially overuse of a phrase so an article doesn't read naturally.  We've been told, pages that do this can be heavily demoted and it hurts the entire site.  The best practice is to use synonyms.
      - Reducing product capsules.  Products heavily contribute to algorthmic penalties.  Only use essential products and consider using the text link option over the capsule.
      - Links.  Ensure links go to other high quality sources of information.
      - Moderate low quality comments.  Broken english, spammy links.  Google's given us feedback that comments are part of the page and while less important than body content, they still can impact the page and site.

The good news is each site is off to a fantastic start.  I'm optimistic that this will be a good path forward for us, but we still have significant challenges in increasing the quality and reviewing more content.  Everyone is hard at work figuring out how to accomplish these things.  For community sites to succeed for the long term we all need to up our game, help each other by ensuring each contribution we make increases the quality/value of the site as a whole.

-Paul

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

On comments in general, I've deleted/not approved otherwise good comments just because they concluded with a promotional link.  Sometimes, I've e-mailed the poster (when they appeared as other Hub Pages members), as to why their comment was deleted/not used, and invited them to re-post, sans link, but they never have, so I don't waste my time with that anymore.  It seems "members" who do that are not really authors here, and have an account only to promote themselves or their buisiness.
        So...include a promotional link in your comment, and it won't appear.  It's that simple.

11. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 8 years ago

All my food Hubs are specifically done in my own voice and I have noticed they are all scored "76" and under. Each one has been restructured many times because they are all more than 3 years old and I revisited them 5 to 6 times a year. Actually all my Hubs are scored similarly.

With all the launch news and now a few new sites behind us I am getting worried that none of my offerings are going to be what you are looking for.

Paul, I know you are reassuring us that this is all so new and still is in the growth stage.  Being that a "score" is still shown on the Account page I am concerned all my Hubs are not scoring high enough for even a "look" by the teams that select for the new sites.   

Sherry Venegas aka paperfacets

ps. I looked at the "comments" and I will be going over them in all my Hubs. I have been amiss on deleting many that should be deleted. sv

12. Justin boy profile image41
    Justin boyposted 8 years ago

please review my hub also n give opinion

13. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Scratch that. I *do* have one beer-related article, and it looks like the "Beer" topic on Delishably is, if you'll excuse the terrible pun, rather under-nourished at the moment (there's only one article in it!)... just sayin'.

(Wink wink, nudge nudge, bats eyelashes in a pleading fashion, shuffles feet shyly... )

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My lone remaining vegan hub made the move, and there are only four items in the vegan category on the whole site, so I hear you.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How I managed to get a hub about historic English pubs onto Delishably I do not know - could it be the connection to beer? My local pub was built in 1450 and still has the original fireplace in situ. The beer isn't that old. Not sure about the landlord.

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I guess they must have been short on beer related hubs, Chef. Congratulations though.

2. janshares profile image94

Congrats, chef-de-jour!

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Seems around one in ten featured hubs from the food category made it to Delishably, so you did well.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

It's nice to be loved. One of my hubs made it there as well.

Nice. Congrats

Yeay for you, para. smile

3. paperfacets profile image86
      paperfacetsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

congrats, hurray.

15. Nowreen P profile image60
    Nowreen Pposted 8 years ago

Can you still post food related hubs to the HubPages?

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Of course and it just may be chosen for the site.

1. Nowreen P profile image60
        Nowreen Pposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh Great! smile

16. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

My only food related hub is about scrambled eggs and is one of my most consistent and highest traffic producing hub. It hasn't made the move, but not sure if it would be a good or bad thing if it does.

17. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

There should be a vegetarian/vegan category on the site. As a vegan visiting the site, I would feel it did not have much to offer me. We are a growing segment of the population.

Vegan is listed under the special diets link on the main page.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Vegans would not probably look there. It would make more sense for there to be a vegan/vegetarian category, especially since meat and dairy have their own. I am just sharing how a vegan would react to this. However, this is an issue in lots of cook books and mainstream food sites, so this site is not the only one to do it.

I'm vegan. I found it. I would prefer that they leave vegan separate from vegetarian, like it is now, rather than making a generic vegan/vegetarian category.

And let's face it: if you're looking for vegan recipes, your first stop is not going to be a site that is so overtly omni. People aren't going to find those recipes through front page navigation; they're going to find them through a search on Google.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
            SweetiePieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I found it once I clicked through, but it is not noticeable. A lot of people who are just coming to veganism will not find it. Also, yes I admitted earlier that this is an issue with many mainstream food sites and magazines, but changes are afoot. Even Ben and Jerry's now has a brand of non-dairy ice cream. I do not feel a vegan category would be generic, even if it were coupled with vegetarian. I prefer vegan over vegetarian at this point, but this coupling being more visible on the front page is something I think would be cool. Also, a lot of people are not just finding veganism via a Google search. Veganism is actually a hot food topic on Youtube and on Instagram as well, so this was good information to share.

18. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

May I ask why a food article that has been given Editor's choice would not automatically get selected for the transfer?
    My article Yummy Homemade Jalapeno Hot Sauce With a Kick is Editor's Choice, but was not moved to the new site.

Some Editor's Choice Hubs were selected before our product and link rules became more restrictive, so it's possible that a Hub may still retain it's EC status because it hasn't been re-reviewed by a Moderator recently, but that it may have significant product and link issues that prevent it from being selected for sites (which is why we haven't mass-selected all of them). So, it's possible your Hubs simply haven't been looked at for site selection yet.

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks. I know I didn't get the EC until recently, so hopefully it just hasn't been looked over yet. Thanks for the reply.

19. FatFreddysCat profile image94

My lone beer article that I mentioned earlier in this thread was assimilated onto the Delishably site last night. Neat-O.

Boom! Happy for you, FatFreddysCat. smile

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92

Hey congrats..perhaps my lone beer article can be next? (Hint hint)

20. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Glad to have a hub on the new site but views are still quite low. I've seen this addressed somewhere but how long should we expect to wait before views return to where they were or higher? I was getting 40+ and as high as 90 views a day before the move. Four days or so have passed and I'm still getting between 5 and 11 views a day.

It can take a while for Google to finish indexing the new site, so things should stabilize (and hopefully increase) over time.

Okay, thanks, Christy. Will wait patiently.

Update: Still waiting. hmm Both recipe hubs have single-digit views. Hope to see an increase this weekend.

21. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I tried to change the three links in my Delishably hub. It wouldn't let me do it. The three links all originally  pointed to hubpages.com categories. Not sure HP would be thrilled with that, so I tried to change them to the corresponding Delishably categories. Not only would it not let me do it, the three former hubpages links stopped functioning and started sending the reader to 404 land. So as to not cause a total mess, I reworded the text a little and removed the links altogether for the time being.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Update.

Couldn't help myself and tried again, this time attempting to create the link from scratch.

Failed again.

What happens is the Delishably.com part of the URL automatically changes to "hubpages.com", but the rest of the URL remains as the Delishably sub-URL, thus the end result being 404 land.

This glitch should be easy to reproduce and confirm. To reiterate, this has to do with attempting to link to topics as opposed to specific hubs; I don't know if also applicable to hubs.

I'm guessing whatever is going on applies to the other niche sites as well?

1. ezhang profile image82
        ezhangposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Fixed! Thanks for discovering this bug. smile

22. Journey * profile image68
    Journey *posted 8 years ago

I'm glad to see HubPages going strong through the years & coming a long way. The niche sites will be great for the growth & expansion of HubPages. Thanks for supporting the writers & helping us to succeed through your platform. Keep up the great work. Delishably.com looks nicely organized & visually pleasing. Thanks so much for selecting my hub. So far, I've also stopped by axleaddict.com among the live niche sites & that looks great as well.

1. Rodeon profile image57
      Rodeonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1 million!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)