Any Recommendations On Quality Chess Sets?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I've finally decided on a gift for my oldest son. He noticed that I'm selling an old chess set in a yard sale and made a comment. He's in his late 20's, likes medieval history/fantasy.  I was thinking about a nice set with medieval figures. Or should I stick with a more traditional set? I've checked out some of the chess hubs also and saw glass sets? 
    Anyone play on these?  Thanks!

1. chessmkr1 profile image65
      chessmkr1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello There,

Glass, stone, marble....they will all break if you drop the pieces.  There are many 'resin' sets out there too that will give you lots of detail in the pieces for not much investment.

I think wood is the best piece material.  There's a guy who hand carves custom themed sets on demand in any size.  His website is  http://www.yessy.com/jimarnold and he is THE best by far!  His sets cost a little more then all of the mass produced plastic out there, but there is nothing like them anywhere.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I have this one and it's awesome.  Totally kicks ass.  And the company has several others you can look at.  I love mine.  Everyone I play against wants to be the "bad guys" because the skeleton army (bottom row) is awesome.  (People actually want to TRY chess because of how cool my pieces are.)

http://www.1st-chess-sets.com/productvi … ess-Pieces

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Rebekah,

I'm sure not on a particular brand name of Chess set, but I have several boards myself. I guess it matters if he is really into the game.

My cousin, while in the military, shipped a pure marble Chess set to me for Christmas one year. The Chess board and pieces weighed 16 pounds(including checker pieces). Each piece had felt on the bottom, stamped with the company logo and made in Italy. I can imagine it cost a pretty penny.

My father passed and I still have his board. Which is made out of Roman figurines, but plastic. About $10 board. Still in good shape after 20+ years.

Then, I have a 3-Dimensional Star Trek Chess board. Which was bought for me as a gift from my Mother.

You can spend anywhere between $10 and up. My marble one was estimated about $1700.00. Your choice. I would gauge his interests first. wink smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image84

that is awesome. what does the board look like?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't come with a board.  I built my own; it's a lovely wooden thing.  But any decent size board will do fine.  If you really want to see it, I'll go take a pic and post it.  It's all set up and we keep it on display.  The pieces are that cool.

5. rebekahELLE profile image84

cags, that's special that you still have your father's board.  my son loves chess and when I heard him make the comment about selling the old set we had, I started thinking a nice set might be perfect. Something he can keep set up for display.

the onyx and marble sets looks nice also. I want it to be special. He's a brand new newly-wed and they have their first home.. something nice.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am partial to the Marble and Glass boards. I like the style of the pieces, usually just traditional pieces. smile Good luck on finding him one. smile

rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks cags. I'm sure I'll have fun trying to make the best choice. I just saw a beautiful hand polished green and black marble set on shades link.

somewayouttahere, important considerations for sure. especially how it feels in your hand.

shades, that looks really nice. someone betting on a game?
        I looked at some of those other sets on the link. they're really nice. those 3-D boards are kind of cool.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...i bought a nice wooden set...for me...it's the feel of the pieces in my fingers....that's how i picked it out...how did it feel when i picked up different pieces and then i picked out the board....i also went for something that i'd like for years....

7. Shadesbreath profile image77

Here, for a frame of reference size-wise:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4248374_f520.jpg

8. Shadesbreath profile image77

Bottom line, keep it simple.  The game really doesn't need much help.  A beautiful set is great, but the game is amazing all by itself, so you can really not go wrong. I'm not sure too much gimicky stuff helps.  A simple elegant set of really high quality is better than anything some company tried to add to the game in a recent century.  Good luck finding the right one; it will be fun for you to shop, and he'll love whatever you get.

9. Shadesbreath profile image77

HEY CAGS... U still around?

I've been posting haven't I? Am I still around? What a silly question? Especially since I told you I would be around(maybe), just like your(maybe) of doing an INSTANT Hub Challenge? tongue

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hell yeah.  Let's do it.  You wanna start the thread or shall I?

You start it. This way you decide the rules. tongue

@Rebekah, he'll love whatever you decide on. smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image84

thanks guys for your input. I am excited to find the right one. when they were younger, they always had their mile long lists, now it's a bit harder to pick the right gift.

here's a great hub I found while searching the site.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Gifts-for-the-G … Chess-Sets

11. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Not much help for the OP, but when I was in high school one of the shop class students built his own set.  Designed the pieces and turned them on a lathe and built a table with drawers for the pieces.  It took him all year for the set and table.

What really made it unique was that the pieces were turned from 2" steel rod.  King was about 8" high as I recall and weighed several pounds.  One set was finished with clear sealer and the other with gun bluing.  Beautiful

The table was nearly 3" across and it took two people to pick it up when loaded with the pieces.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84

where can I find nice onyx or marble sets without ordering online? I'm afraid pieces will break in the christmas rush. hmm

1. Mark Bronze profile image58
      Mark Bronzeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The very best style in my opinion is a set with Staunton pieces which are traditional. The other important consideration is the height of the set which is usually governed by the King height. 4 inch high king is good. The board squares should be 2 inches each. I have many sets but in my opinion a serious player will want a Staunton style set.

the set I am looking at is a Staunton set with traditional pieces. They have beautiful sets, but I still have to decide if I should buy wood or onyx. I'm leaning now towards the wood set but the marble set is beautiful. I have to make the decision today.

1. Mark Bronze profile image58
          Mark Bronzeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wood...beautiful....try to get triple weighted pieces.

I ordered a beautiful wood set a few hours ago on Amazon, and I just received a message saying it's already shipped out.  that's fast. I'll get it on Friday. 

thanks guys for the advice. I appreciate the help.

13. profile image0
    gamergirlPSposted 13 years ago

I was i at Hamleys this christmas. They have some really good chess sets.

14. Anthea Carson profile image60
    Anthea Carsonposted 13 years ago

Hello, I wrote a hub called regulation chess sets, you can check that out for some answers if you like. Bottom line is, when choosing a set keep in mind, if you are planning to play chess tournaments, you do need to use regulation chess sets.

15. profile image0
    Raphael Dipippoposted 7 years ago

The local games dealer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)