jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Creating a chess board.

1. Arachnea profile image75
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

Creating a chess board.

I have an idea for chess pieces that I hope to start making. I am a little stumped on the board though. I want something easy that I can do without having to have someone build the frame or some other part of the board. I plan to create individual ceramic tiles for the board, but am not sure what would be the best and easiest way for me to mount them attractively.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image86
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

It depends on the material for the board itself. If the board is wood and the tiles are ceramic, silicone (clear) works very well. Two to three drops near the center of each tile will do. Just put some weight on the entire board after all tiles have been mounted. Make sure to keep everything completely flat and leveled.

Another good board material is Plexiglass.
    Lay all tiles flat and in order and take exact measures, then cut the base to the exact measurements. This way there is no "visible" overlapping  border and everything feels and looks like one piece.

1. Arachnea profile image75
      Arachneaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like this. Should I use a filler between each tile before wedding them together?

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image86
      LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Once everything is set, spread a thin layer of tile plaster, wait a few minutes and gently wipe the surface.

3. Arachnea profile image75
      Arachneaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'll look into this. I'm not familiar with any of the materials you've mentioned except plexiglas, so I'll do my research.

3. profile image0
    christinemariezzzposted 3 years ago

I think you could roll a slab, here's one example.  Not sure if this will help, but it's from my small interest in handbuildung with clay.
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/ … rClown.jpg

4. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 3 years ago

Feel free to check out my step by step Hub with photos on how to make an easy chessboard: http://hub.me/aazJm I hope this helps!

JSMatthew~

working