How can the fittest survive with targets on their back?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Liberals do not like the concept of "survival of the fittest."
    Or do they?
    Wondering.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The person or creature of the most diversity has the best chance of survival. There many animals that have far greater survival abilities than humans.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not clear what Americans means by "Liberal".

However, speaking for myself, I'd say no, I don't like it.  It applies to animals, but human beings are not animals.   

Human beings have compassion, which means that if someone is homeless or sick or starving, we don't just think "life is survival of the fittest, so they can just crawl off and die".   Our ethics (and most religions) tell us we have to offer a helping hand to those less fortunate than ourselves.

We have been human being animals for 200,000 years, only the last 5000 years Religion start to thinks we are not animals. We are  biologjcal organisms first and some of the other species of animals have far greater survival records and much longer existence history.. Human being have least compassion toward other earthlings and the greatest threat to their own extinction.

As far as liberals understanding the survival of the fittest concept, I don't get it. Human being have a million parts to their soul. Humans something think liberals like and sometimes conservative like or think 1000s of other difference ways to survive and sometimes thrive.

2. Aime F profile image71
        Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree. 

This reminds me of an episode of Black Mirror called Men Against Fire (if you watch the show but haven't seen this episode yet, stop reading this because I'm about to spoil it):

There are a bunch of people called Roaches who have become sick and turn into monsters, and the army is trained to kill them to stop the sickness from progressing.  Except it's revealed that the army has been tricked into seeing them as monsters when in reality they're just regular people - people who have less than favourable genes or are more likely pass severe illnessses down to their children, but they're being "exterminated" because they're a burden on the system.

It seems ridiculous, doesn't it?  And yet here we are talking about "survival of the fittest" in a political context as though wanting to help the poor or disadvantaged is a bad thing.  "Oops, you were born into poverty, not our problem, it would be a burden to help you" seems like perhaps the first step towards "oops, you were born with a medical condition that is super costly, not our problem, it's a burden to help you." 

How far are you willing to take it?

To answer your question:  I believe in survival of the fittest as a biological concept but not when applied to how we treat people.

Humans being are the least compassionate   animals on the planet. Last 50 years they have killed most of the animals on this planet. All animal love as you claim your God is love yet created a hell far worst then earth promoted by fear.

Humans are not any more important than any other species on this earth. We are earthling until other Aliens come along with larger brains and intelligence than us and show us how stupid we are by unbalancing nature and universal law that is not written in your Bibles..

Take earth age of 4 billion years, break it up unto one calendar year. Dinosaurs have survived 3 months wail mankind for 10 minutes. About 95% of species have gone extinct where most of them survived a lot longer than human on the earth . Not only with better fitness skill, yet with far greater by diversity ability and skills.

1. Aime F profile image71
            Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think the important distinction is that humans are capable of compassion.  Whether or not they take advantage of that is another story.  I would argue that we should, though.

As long as the majority of the people think they are not animals and more important than all other species. Plus not an environmental organisms first , rather than a by product stomach to be filled by synthetic greed.

Yes we are capable of reversing humans best part, in which is our brain to being the most compassionate and most intelligence creature on the planet. If we allow military intelligence, conflicts of Religion and politics lawyers lead us earthling into hell, we  deserve everything coming to us.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Given that liberals tend to believe in evolution more often than conservative perhaps you could give an example of what you mean?

Survival of the fittest is a statement of a factual process, not a moral or ethical position.  It does not say you should let the weak suffer and die.

Survival would be more important to an evolutionist , yet Darwin said diversity is better than fittest for survival.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I feel like I'm living on a different planet. I can't understand how any of those posts, with the exception of Psycheskinner, actually addressed the original question.

To compare liberals to Conservative for who is the fittest to survive would be not as important as who is the most diverse to survive.

I think of myself as conversation at the right times and liberals at other times. Making me more diverse than people choosing to be onesided on either side.

My soul has a million other parts many to master to make myself more diverse. In fact you master a balance of many parts you move from survive to thrive in life. Like I have for most of my life. Not to sound like Trump yet keeping it real.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The real topic is the government targeting the fit.
          But no one seems to care about that.

1. colorfulone profile image77
            colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

(Expletive) media!  sad

I believe we can unite in our HubPages Forum community, across the pond (s) for the betterment of online working class people (edit) world wide.  I like lower taxes and less regulations, fees, and fines. And more money in my pocket.

Who are these fit ones that are being targeted, I really do care.

Consider who is doing the targeting. And why.
                I mentioned the government but who empowers the government?

Israel and its Zionist agent are the dangerous parasites. They own USA and their target is Muslim countries, then the rest of us. I wou!d not call them fittest just delusion that the world wants to destroy and eliminat them

4. colorfulone profile image77

Numerous students at the University of Texas in Austin signed a petition in support of killing “babies” up to 5 years old, underscoring how many so-called progressives are actually vehement proponents of infanticide.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92VOxknTtlM

Numerous residents in San Diego signed a similar petition composed by Mark Dice which advocated making post-birth abortions legal under Obamacare.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHFWx5JWEk

Reporter Dan Joseph convinced numerous students at George Mason University (GMU) to sign a petition demanding lawmakers legalize “fourth trimester” abortions, in other words killing babies that had already been born.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8--9R0I2Q

When asked in an interview on The View if she supported abortion (killing and ripping unborn babies from the womb) hours before birth on a babies due date of delivery, Hillary Clinton, said she does.  People's hearts have grown cold and dark. 
      HILLARY CLINTON: AN UNBORN CHILD JUST HOURS BEFORE DELIVERY HAS NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS
      http://www.infowars.com/hillary-clinton … al-rights/
      http://www.infowars.com/progressives-si … years-old/

Liberals, I think your party has left you and you don't even know it.  I am very liberal, but this sh*t is not liberal or Democratic...its insane and very dark.  Please, wake up!

Only if mothers life was at stake. Mother life comes first, sorry not the baby.
        Best if they both can be saved. She is not Mrs Dark Vader, is she?

1. colorfulone profile image77

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton walk in to a bar.

Donald leans over, and with a smile on his face, says, “The media is really tearing you apart for that Scandal.”

Hillary: “You mean my lying about Benghazi?”
          Trump: “No, the other one.” Hillary: “You mean the massive voter fraud?”
          Trump: “No, the other one.”
          Hillary: “You mean the military not getting their votes counted?”
          Hillary: “Using my secret private server with classified material to hide my Activities?”
          Hillary: “The NSA monitoring our phone calls, emails and everything else?”
          Hillary: “Using the Clinton Foundation as a cover for tax evasion, hiring cronies, and taking bribes from foreign countries?”
          Hillary: “You mean the drones being operated in our own country without the benefit of the law?”
          Hillary: “Giving 123 Technologies $300 Million, and right afterward it declared bankruptcy and was sold to the Chinese?”
          Hillary: “You mean arming the Muslim Brotherhood and hiring them in the White House?”
          Hillary: “Whitewater, Watergate committee, Vince Foster, commodity Deals?”
          Trump: “No the other one:”
          Hillary: “Turning Libya into chaos?”
          Hillary: “Being the mastermind of the so-called Arab Spring that only brought chaos, death and destruction to the Middle East and North Africa?”
          Hillary: “Leaving four Americans to die in Benghazi?”
          Hillary: “Trashing Mubarak, one of our few Muslim friends?”
          Hillary: “The funding and arming of terrorists in Syria, the destruction and destabilization of that nation, giving the order to our lapdogs in Turkey and Saudi Arabia to give sarin gas to the “moderate” terrorists in Syria that they eventually used on civilians, and framed Assad, and had it not been for the Russians and Putin, we would have used that as a pretext to invade Syria, put a puppet in power, steal their natural resources, and leave that country in total chaos, just like we did with Libya?
          Hillary: “The creation of the biggest refugees crisis since WWII?”
          Hillary: “Leaving Iraq in chaos?”
          Trump: “No, the other one:”
          Hillary: “The DOJ spying on the press?”
          Hillary: “You mean HHS Secretary Sibelius shaking down health insurance Executives?”
          Hillary: “Giving our cronies in SOLYNDRA $500 MILLION DOLLARS and 3 months later they declared bankruptcy and then the Chinese bought it?”
          Hillary: “The NSA monitoring citizens?”
          Hillary: “The State Department interfering with an Inspector General Investigation on departmental sexual misconduct?”
          Hillary: “Me, The IRS, Clapper and Holder all lying to Congress?”
          Hillary: “Threats to all of Bill’s former mistresses to keep them quiet?”
          Hillary: “You mean the INSIDER TRADING of the Tyson chicken deal I did where I invested $1,000 and the next year I got $100,000?”
          Hillary: “You mean when Bill met with Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, just before my hearing with the FBI to cut a deal?”
          Hillary: “You mean the one where my IT guy at Platte River Networks asked Reddit for help to alter emails?”
          Hillary: “You mean where the former Haitian Senate President accused me and my foundation of asking him for bribes?”
          Hillary: “You mean that old video of me laughing as I explain how I got the charges against that child rapist dropped by blaming the young girl for liking older men and fantasising about them. Even though I knew the guy was guilty?
          Hillary: “You mean that video of me coughing up a giant green lunger into my drinking glass then drinking it back down?”
          Hillary: “You mean that video of me passing out on the curb and losing my shoe?”
          Hillary: “You mean when I robbed Bernie Sanders of the Democratic Party Nomination by having the DNC rig the nomination process so that I would win?”
          Hillary: “You mean how so many people that oppose me have died in mysterious ways?”
          Hillary: “Travel Gate? When seven employees of the White House Travel Office were fired so that friends of Bill and mine could take over the travel business? And when I lied under oath during the investigation by the FBI, the Department of Justice, the White House itself, the General Accounting Office, the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee, and the Whitewater Independent Counsel?”
          Hillary: “The scandal where (while I was Secretary if State) the State Department signed off on a deal to sell 20% of the USA’s uranium to a Canadian corporation that the Russians bought, netting a $145 million donation from Russia to the Clinton Foundation and a $500,000 speaking gig for Bill from the Russian Investment Bank that set up the corporate buyout? That scandal?”
          Hillary: “That time I lied when I said I was under sniper fire when I got off the plane in Bosnia?”
          Hillary: “That time when after I became the First Lady, I improperly requested a bunch of FBI files so I could look for blackmail material on government insiders?”
          Hillary: “That time when Bill nominated Zoe Baird as Attorney General, even though we knew she hired illegal immigrants and didn’t pay payroll taxes on them?”
          Hillary: “When I got Nigeria exempted from foreign aid transparency guidelines despite evidence of corruption because they gave Bill $700,000 in speaking fees?”
          Hillary: “That time in 2009 when Honduran military forces allied with rightist lawmakers ousted democratically elected President Manuel Zelaya, and I as then-Secretary of State sided with the armed forces and fought global pressure to reinstate him?”
          Hillary: “I give up! … Oh wait, I think I’ve got it! When I stole the White House furniture and silverware when Bill left Office?”
          Trump: “THAT’S IT, THAT ONE”
          Hillary: “I thought I’d got away with that one dammit !!!”.

We hope you enjoyed our thank you!
          The Trump Libertarians team

That is a never ending rant on Hillary who has ended along with ultimate decision maker Obama who I never supported accept the odd ideas.  Along with the Feds all together.

Trump will be so hugely bad, there is chance there won't be another President again if we survive the wrath of depopulation.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

You are truly on to something here, colorful one!!!!

" Liberals, I think your party has left you and you don't even know it.  I am very liberal, but this sh*t is not liberal or Democratic...its insane and very dark.  Please, wake up!"

5. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol

Maybe survival of the fittest doesn't have much to do with earning power. Maybe the more fit is the one who lives in poverty and thrives; to the astonishment of the greedy.

H U H ? !! !

G.M. Williams will you please come to the rescue?

G.W. won't money be the root of all evil.?
          That devil face can't save you now or scare me into the money drain of fire. Been there, done that.

2. Live to Learn profile image61

I'm surprised at the huh. Survival is nothing more than staying alive and passing on your genes. It has nothing to do with economics. By my observation financial success is necessary for those least fit to ensure the survival of their genes within the species. Were they subjected to the suffering many are, would they survive? Would they be able to find mates and produce offspring?

I honestly sometimes wonder at the contorted logic created by our greedy society.

< It has nothing to do with economics.> I disagree.

repeating:
            The fit ones are those who work hard, have joy of life, love their families and children and keep on keeping on with enthusiasm due to self-autonomy and self-guided free will. You will see them headed to work every day in their cars jamming up the freeways, getting to work on time to be dynamically creative, productive, serving, caring, prosperous. They are the ones being targeted because there are those who are not equal.

1. Live to Learn profile image61

Oh. You've redefined the word fit, within the parameters of the concept of survival of the fittest.. I hadn't seen that new definition prior to responding.

2. Misfit Chick profile image76
              Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that people like you insist on putting labels on others, then putting them into 'good' or 'bad' piles based on your judgment. We don't all judge things the same way. At least HALF of people who actually go to work are HAPPY to pay a few extra dollars from their paychecks to help the less fortunate for this reason: it is LESS EXPENSIVE to fork the money out AHEAD of time on things like healthcare & government programs INSTEAD of waiting to pay for their health complications LATER when we have no choice. Has anyone ever figured out the difference in their paycheck deductions on with & without things like extra for healthcare or whatever you don't want to have to pay for, tacked on? How much of a difference is it, really? Are you going BROKE over it? I'm not... and frankly, I wouldn't mind paying out even a little more. Yeah, I'm that silly & unselfish.

Also, MANY whom you have judged to be 'unfit' HAVE JOBS that MAYBE barely covers their rent, if that. Did you know that 44% of homeless people actually have jobs, but still don't have enough to support themselves? That's what the minimum wage, or even a little better, does. Are you also aware that MANY MANY MANY homeless people are VETERANS who have been NEGLECTED by this country because of GOP stinginess?! Many of them need mental help on top of help getting back on their feet. If you think its 'normal' to go to war and then come back the same way - you're seriously fooling yourselves.

In my opinion, your interpretation of 'the survival of the fittest' is ignorant & senseless. However, I will agree on less 'regulations' and 'fines', etc. Healthcare shouldn't be mandatory. Believe it or not, there is logic behind what you consider to be 'elite stupidity'. Also, the Republicans, BECAUSE of their resistance to Obamacare did a fairly-good job of adjusting it to more suit the country, better. MOST liberals want EVERYONE'S healthcare to be free - among other things. It is the divisions in this country that CAN make us better - or worse, depending.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"At least HALF of people who actually go to work are HAPPY to pay a few extra dollars from their paychecks to help the less fortunate for this reason: it is LESS EXPENSIVE to fork the money out AHEAD of time on things like healthcare & government programs INSTEAD of waiting to pay for their health complications LATER when we have no choice."

Two things:  First, that half the population (although I think that is only true if you assume that everyone is happy at current funding levels) is please to pay for others, that leaves half that is not.  And that half is not only happy to pay, but happy to FORCE everyone else to pay as well.  And cannot, somehow, see or understand the irony there.

Second, implicit in the statement is that government WILL provide whatever support is asked for.  Remove that assumption and the second part of the sentence (that it is cheaper) falls apart completely.

+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to infinity …

FORCING  IS TABOO

TABOO: forbidden, prohibited, banned, proscribed, interdicted, outlawed, illegal, illicit, unlawful, restricted, off limits; unmentionable, unspeakable, unutterable, unsayable, ineffable; rude, impolite. ANTONYMS acceptable.

The Government will provide as they continuous take more and continuous give you less. Hard to believe that half Americans are happy, when 80% of people don't like their job and 75%of them live from pay cheque to pay cheque.

Your support of the Feds  government has the least satisfied jobs in the nation and greatest waste of time on earth. As long you except feeding the greedy as Government are mercenary for them , not you.  They will continuous come for the rest of health care, your taxes for war and your pension and they will get it all. About 800 Fema camps and agenda 21 won't make a nice sanctuaries. When your stubbornness turns to jello look me up.

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

You live in Boise, Idaha - not Seattle. Seattle is literally overflowing with homeless people this year with camps along the highway. It has been incredibly expensive for road crew to clean up after them - and dangerous. Many homeless people have serious mental health issues - including drug addictions. They aren't exactly safe people to work around when you're trying to clear out the only home they have at the moment.

Where do we get all these homeless people? They come from ALL OVER AMERICA because of our mild climate and 'blue state' generosity since their own red states won't help them. And, you're right - we could just ignore them and let crime take over.

And, I'm guessing you missed the point of this part: "the Republicans, BECAUSE of their resistance to Obamacare did a fairly-good job of adjusting it to more suit the country, better. MOST liberals want EVERYONE'S healthcare to be free - among other things. It is the divisions in this country that CAN make us better - or worse, depending."

You could be forced to pay EVERYONE'S healthcare or accept the good compromises the opposing party came up with. Also WHAT issue do you have with helping veterans who need mental health? Nevermind. I'm sure you have a great answer that you can live with your conscious intact - THANKFUL for their service, but not really willing to put your money where your mouth is.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

You maybe your on to something l&l

They only say the pursuit of happiness not that you will get there, running faster and faster on the treadmill. Then when you build walls around yourself to protect your greed that make yourself ultimately the unhappiest when everyone wants to take your money from you. Then money has the least to do with happiness, Then the greedy have to go through a tiny eye of a needle to get to heaven.

The kicks balls off the American dreams Myth.

I simply find her use of the term 'survival of the fittest' in support of her argument bizarre.

But you're right money doesn't buy happiness. I believe greed has become the root of all evil and greed permeates almost every level of our existence. This thread is an attempt to validate that greed.

I disagree that this thread is about validating greed. Stop trying to get my goat!!! lol

6. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Define your terms. What do you mean by "liberal"? Here are two meanings I found:

"adjective
      open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values."

and

"Liberalism: a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality." (Wikipedia)

You know what I mean ... and no they do not.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Interesting thread , the new  liberals are far more what could be called joiners ,it's all about the   group , the herd mentality and  all with of the characteristics  of the herd ,    weak individually  , never standing alone because of  a definite loose character   but circling in their  defense when the threat looms near ,    hence the rioters in the streets .--- It's funny  ,in a dream the other  night  I was watching as someone in the rear of a crowd threw  a rock at the line of people in the front and I was there above in the rear  watching , before long there were rocks everywhere ,  ,   I ended up  waking up  wondering why would they attack their own ? ----- But that , is the essence of the anarchist meaning .  These new  liberals consider themselves diverse  --yet in truth are character ably weak and very closed minded . Seeing only the prize of entitlements on end of the merry -go-round , collectively whining  when they don't show up .
    Anarchists.  There is no place for them in an orderly society and no place for them in an un-orderly one either .   They are much like the zombies so popular in their own fantasy circles ..   .

Horse

You describe a liberal as a weak individual with a weak mind. A mob and herd mentality lacking in character. Liberals lack in courage to stand on the their own two feet yet circling in packs like anarchist in defense. These liberals creatures think they are diverse because they blend in with other Religions and race when they have weak and closed minds to know any better.
      Liberals are impossible of joining together because their whining merry go round zombie-land fantasy lifestyle. Liberals have  incapabilities of attitudes within our orderly society in any orderly fashion.

They sound very dangerous horse, never personally met one of these Liberals monsters. Where can we find one of these brains falling out Zombies disease liberals and blow their heads off. So they don't attack or touch one of my free thinking loving Family

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that the "blowing the zombie heads off "  fits in my conversation .     Maybe  somewhere in the back of my mind is the image of the musket of the civil war .   Anarchists  are the very real danger to any orderly society however .  I have read and deciphered such anarchy in many a liberal post in forums though .     Somewhere in the midst of light hearted liberal ideologies always lays the protest turned to rioting because ,  they almost always do  .

Any political and patriotic minded American must wonder and imagine  about some future and  impending social disorder , for me the tragedy of the American civil war always plays into that image .   Not many Americans have read much about that war , And yet , tragedy isn't even close to having any meaning to that war .

I have done my  family genealogy and found that my ancestors  participated in all wars  even before  the French and Indian wars ,   all the way to the Iraq war.    But the single most troubling for me is that both of my great-grandfathers fought in the American civil war on the same side .   Near my home in the north is a monument to a family graveyard where ALL four of a  farmers sons died in that war and   after the war that farmer  lost his farm to his inability to maintain the amount of work required to successfully farm.

Anarchy , is often the result of an extremely divided ideology  , I hope  that doesn't fit in America's future .,  a lesson that the farmers sons know  too well .

3. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 7 years ago

You know homophobic are more likely to have sex with man, than me, because I except Gays and not obsessed by them. Christianphobic like Richard Dawkins atheist will spend more time obcessed with Christianity. Me I except Christians and do not fear God because I'm fearless.

You horse are a liberalphobic.
    More often a true conservative would be a little anarchists. They generally want less Governments and less restriction on their live like Ron Paul who secretly is an anarchist. These new Conservative are warmongering  and interferences with every minority groups agenda.

Most of these minorities did not vote at all like 70%. With Trump actually most of the American population are against Trump and civil war fits in with the Zionist agenda. As you sense Trump will not fulfill what he says he going to do. In which that he will make Republican angry with him too.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Liberalphobic , wow , never been called that ,   I fear no man nor ideology  though ,  I am related to many liberals , I began life a liberal , my daughters a liberal ,  my wife voted for Obama .     So yeeaaaa...  I'm liberalphobic all right .......!. 

Actually , what I am is an extreme realist .  It can  be depressing but I suffer through it well .

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

We are not going to de evolve. We are going to find balance by our own willingness and wisdom to do so.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The people, the thinking, caring, common sense, knowledgeable people, as a decent majority may be developing in the wings after all!!!

It will start by turning the gun around. How?

By reforming the educational systems/institutions. The states should take back power and we should get rid of the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.

The assault on Federalism is destroying the balance of powers given to us by The Constitution. The Fed is taking POWER and MONEY from the states.

The states know how to spend their money more wisely and appropriately because they are closer to the people they serving.

And autonomy should be given back to the teachers.

Trump giving police and troops more guns will help protect them from the colors. As they destroy and pollute the Planet.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The fit ones are those who work hard, have joy of life, love their families and children and keep on keeping on with enthusiasm due to self-autonomy and self-guided free will. You will see them headed to work every day in their cars jamming up the freeways getting to work on time to be dynamically creative, productive, serving, caring, prosperous. They are the ones being targeted because there are those who are not equal.   

HOWEVER, the MORE we try to force equality through fines, (Obama Care fines, for instance,) over-regulating of businesses and over-taxation of the people for the various types of welfare programs, the less joy of life there will be because joy of life depends of self-guided free will  / LIBERTY. To take away our money to equalize society is to take away the freedom/power/survival of the fittest, which actually and potentially includes every single one of us.

FURTHERMORE, you will see those who have lost their fitness and ability to be independent and self-sufficient as they were enabled through Democratic/Progressive policies. For Instance, Obama shut down the work to welfare policies:
    "Friday, July 12, 2013 marks one year since the Obama Administration first declared that it had the authority to waive the work requirements for welfare recipients. Work requirements were created in the 1996 welfare reform law, and they have been key to the success of welfare reform in increasing work and earnings and reducing poverty and welfare dependence."

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/waiving- … istration/

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"However, most of our welfare programs exist as pure handouts without any form of buy-in for personal development of any kind. A few programs have a work requirement or job training attached to them, but most are impersonal, benefit handouts …"

"A hundred years ago in America the word compassion was used most often in its literal meaning 'to suffer with'.  Today our definition is, 'sympathetic consciousness of others’ distress together with a desire to alleviate it.' That is a pretty big difference. Suffering versus a mere desire for something.   My grandmother always taught me that the 'road to hell is paved with good intentions.' But I guess that doesn't apply to compassion. All we need to do is appreciate that distress exists and wish it wasn’t so. I believe my grandmother would scoff at the modern definition of compassion. She would believe action is necessary, not just feelings. In fact, I imagine my grandmother would want that action to be positive. If our action makes no difference, or even makes the problem worse, can we really experience compassion?"

"This may seem like splitting hairs, but it is at the heart of the poverty and welfare debate in America.  Is it enough to care? Is it enough to throw money or benefits at the poverty problem and feel good about it? Or do we measure success by whether those in poverty ultimately gain their financial independence? Federal welfare over the years has spent trillions of dollars aimed at millions of Americans. With that measurement alone America is probably the most compassionate country in the world. But if you measure the poverty line and see that it has remained flat for 45 years you would proclaim the war on poverty has failed. Therefore our compassion has been ineffective …"

"'We must find ways of returning far more of our dependent people to independence. We must find ways of returning them to a participating and productive role in the community.'"   
        John Kennedy in a special report to congress in February, 1964"

FROM http://federalsafetynet.com/articles-on-poverty.html

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Free will is what its about.
    You don't like free will?

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Free use of one's will is what brings forth happiness. When others force you to pay for others, you loose freedom. Why implement despotism? it is not right. It puts people to sleep. You like sleeping? That's what will happen as the Feds are allowed to target those who are currently awake and THRIVING!!!!
    You got something against thriving? Having an abundant life?

You obviously don't understand why the use of the term is out of place. It not only doesn't support your argument it has nothing to do with it.

But, to answer your questions I work quite hard. I also have no problem helping others when I can. I suppose your solution would be to just let everyone die so you can horde more stuff. I think we can find a happy median.

I aways say people can and do help people and there are many charitable organizations ... not to mention churches and my oh my taking care of one's own!

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

the fittest have the strongest wills to live. Think of Tyrannosaurus Rex. He had a huge mouth. He didn't even use his hands as they became small from disuse. He was so motivated to survive that he would run at other dinosaurs with his gaping horrid mouth full of sharp teeth and just eat them. He was the tyrant of dinosaurs. No one likes a tyrant, but he did survive! What did he care about others? He was a non-feeling dinosaur!

We, however, have the checks of our hearts. And yes, I am assuming we are civilized humans with hearts. Love in the human species is a given in my mind. The more freedom, the more heart, as a matter of fact. The more freedom the more intelligence. The more freedom the more joy.
    Freedom is everything.

If Trump was a dinosaur, he would be T-Rex all mouth and teeth with little hands for pointing at everyone. Eating every cresure alive or dead , Muslims is his favorite on his menu.

You said little hands. I keep telling you guys, for your own sake, don't do that. They have gulags already set up in Alaska for that crime, alone.

From a sculptor that knows human figure's, for a big man he does have smaller hands which people relate to a smaller penis. The funny part is Trump so obsess over his smallness , he defends them so much so, you can assume his small esle where. Then may lead to over size missiles.

you are surmising, per usual.

Oh, come on. The signs are all there. We are all just too polite to have a conversation on it. Castle is simply the odd man out on that score.

2. profile image0
            ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Only a pseudo- liberal would be so small minded as  you are on such an assumption.

I would not rule them out, look at GW Bush being a short president with small man disease he bomb the hell out Iraq with nuclear bomb too.

Trump plans to increase the military and policing because it"s all about making money for the rich, nothing to do for our safty.

From 1973 to 2009 prisoners have grown from 200,000 to 2.2 million, more than 10 times growth. Big money in prisoners making military equipment. Now they give homeless a choice between prison or Fema camps Next it will be many of you , you dirty lowdown debtors who can't afford basic living, most are three weeks from bankruptcy or homeless.

Perfect formula for civil and world war, you got to love America.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Do not yell at wilderness. He cares about freedom for the individual. That is where mental health stems from. Freedom. Get a clue and stop your yelling.

Added: No one forces people to go to war. It was their choice. They knew the risks. Maybe they should make sure family and govt. or other types of services and helps are in place here at home before they go.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

You know what, its Thanksgiving and I have a dinner to participate in. You & people like Wilderness can continue to be obtuse, hateful and FREE with your opinions as you need to be. No one is convincing anyone of anything cuz every single American citizens believes that THEY are RIGHT no matter WHAT without EXCEPTION!

THIS IS WHY WE ARE SO DIVIDED; AND IT IS EXACTLY HOW THEY WANT US!

I'm just going to chalk people like you up as children who just can't comprehend anything beyond a third grade mentality. TA!

Your posts are, without a doubt, the most obtuse here which is always quite hilarious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)