Should America still be in the Middle East?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

American soldiers need to come home to their families.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My heart goes out to them. So sad. The suicide rate has gone up for those in their situation. We need to keep them in our prayers (for those who pray.)

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has been a total waste of human life and resources. The unfortunate part is that our economy is so dependent on the war machine to keep it going even as anemic as it is.

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

The US needs to get out. The area will not change their mindset and will fall into chaos as soon as the troops leave anyway.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

I think we are there for the balance of power as far as oil. If we are not watching that area, any dictator from any country could come and invade the oil producing countries and thereby take over the world. It was what Saddam Hussein was contemplating (according to a certain book I have been reading) before Bush stopped him. We will never be able to completely leave.
    Luckily,(or unluckily,) there are men and women still thrilled to go to war. They keep signing up...
    They sure don't have to!

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think having 17 aircraft carriers and marines standing by could raise all kinds of hell without having basses in these countries could do the trick just as well. The problem is that there is a lot of money the defense contractors would miss out on trying to find a way to provide contractor support on Navy ships. Not very lucrative for them and there for something they would lobby against.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
        Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Most military contractors are former military themselves.  No one wants peace more than a soldier.  It's the politicians who get sexually aroused at the thought of a military option for every problem.  I wish they were the ones' whose boots are on the ground when they make irresponsible decisions.  It's too easy to send somebody else.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Those who say " America should get out of leading  as a superpower "  in the middle east :   

It's the same as saying ,'As a parent ,I am the responsible adult over my own children   "  ,
    You have to realize that the world requires super--power leadership , And yes America being among the last ones , to protect the innocent's  and weaker cultures and countries of the world .  Otherwise you have to admit and accept that it's okay if some tyrant  uses Chemical weapons to murder innocent children ?     If that's okay with  you ,while America stands aside and watches ,   then it's simply okay that your children raise themselves without against say and input by you as a parent ?

Like it or not ,There are times when America has to be the authoritive  figure

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. They aren't our kids. We are the big boy on the block, not the responsible adults. To be honest, if some other country made that statement about us it'd be an insult.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Where do YOU draw the line then , if they were Mexican Kids ,   Canadian kids , Cuban kids , Icelandic  ?   Some people , generally the  weaker people , are never comfortable with being "the big kid on the block " doing the right thing against bullies  but who else is there when these incidents happen ?  The far better outcome   would have been NATO, the U.N. or some group of responsible middle  eastern nations ?    Where were they ?   
        No one ever hesitates to  ask for America's help in world political situations , ie. WWI, WWII ,   And very few understand ,at the same time , why America always answers the call  for the good of humanity for one ,   until after  the victories or defeats of these outcomes .   Interesting ?     I too would love to see more nations " step up to the plate " and am angered when they don't  but that  cannot be the deciding factor when it comes to doing the right thing .

Put it this way. Would you accept your statement, as written, from Russia? China? Syria?

1. profile image0

I guess I don't understand what  you're asking .   But let me say this , America , Russia , China , England . ALL of the super-powers in the world are  obligated , interested and inclined  to work together both ------above board [speaking of  open media ] and beneath the airwaves to keep the  misbehaving tyrants of war from destroying each other AND the superpowers .

If you don't believe we are ?     You sorely lack insight into the reality of  negotiated foreign policies.  Believe me , Our people are constantly talking to Russia , China ............all the  rest . Whether they admit it or not .
            Do you believe  WE would know the extent and content of foriegn relations at this point ? No.

Wow. That's a pie in the sky way to look at it. If that were the case I'd think war was not something to worry about. Since we are all working together.

Of course everyone is talking but in the best interests of all? I think not.

1. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Of course they are (talking the best interests of all).  Every politician and political power base knows what is in the best interests of everybody else.  It is something automatically bestowed with the throne, whether that throne is in the White House, congress, #10 Downing St. or Dom pravitelstva Rossiiskoi Federatsii.  Even the rock Bin Laden sat on in the caves counts, as does the Vatican pulpit!   sad

True. But horse back is implying that all work toward a common goal. They don't. Each country's  interests are all that matter.

1. wilderness profile image96
                    wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But LtL, don't you know that our best interests are the best interests of the world?  As are Russia's, those of ISIS and the UK?  Why, all you have to do is ask any "leader" there!

(By the way, I have this really neat bridge for sale if you're interested...)

2. profile image0

So you don't apparently believe  for instance , The USA and Russia aren't in almost constant communication  behind closed doors ,  You don't believe  China , Japan , England and France  are talking at all until something hits the fan ?      Its your Pie in the Sky to own !

Of course they talk. However, it is not (as you believe) for the common good. It is negotiating to push individual agendas.

1. profile image0

I have no  ideas at all  how vastly different  and difficult these hidden and constant diplomatic communications that go on  are AND neither do you .    It isn't however as shallow a world of  non-diplomacy as you believe .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)