jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Is America still the land of opportunity?

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
    Darknlovely3436posted 7 years ago

Is America still the land of opportunity?

And as a outsider looking in would you still considered coming to the land of opportunity to live, and those who is here can you do your part to make it happen again?

2. Credence2 profile image81
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

most certainly, yes  It is still true that you still have a great deal of control over your destiny in America

3. tritrain profile image85
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

I would argue that America is having a tough go of being a 'land of opportunity'.

Maybe we're just in a proverbial "valley" and we'll have another huge growth period down the road.

Our real period was during the late 1800's to mid 1900's (minus the Depression), plus a short period during the 90's (the internet).

So, I'd say no to being such a land right now.

4. JMHeller profile image67
    JMHellerposted 7 years ago

I don't think America is the land of opportunity like it was in the early 20th century. I do believe this is the land for opportunity. I work in finance. My associates and I work very closely with small businesses to help them grow and expand. If we are can help add jobs to the economy, I believe we are doing our part.

5. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Perhaps America is now the land of opportunism.

6. akuigla profile image60
    akuiglaposted 7 years ago

Yes of course.
    First you dont need to know english to find a job,a simple one, like in the restaurant.Or find a people from your country and find job there.
    If you need education no problem:the schools are everywhere and loans available.
    Libraries are free.
    If you want to make fast money educate yourself about commodity futures trading.It is by far the fastest way to get rich.
    But be aware:in America God is close,so is Devil....

7. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i think it still is but these days morals aren't as important to being successful. many countries give a person the opprotunities to become something but the US is just more widely known for it.

8. Mahmo profile image59
    Mahmoposted 7 years ago

I do not think so. We see more Americans looking for investment in new businesses  abroad and looking for jobs as well.

9. MPChris profile image78
    MPChrisposted 7 years ago

I've never thought of America as the Land of Opportunity, or believed in the American Dream. The essence behind the 'Dream' is everyone living a white-picket consumerist lifestyle that less than 25% of the country can actually afford.

Combine that with our secret want to live like the top 1%...

10. yiasa profile image60
    yiasaposted 7 years ago

It's difficult to answer. America is not like before. It has got it's own problems that has made it vulnarable.

11. AngelTrader profile image60
    AngelTraderposted 7 years ago

It is for the banks!

And no I wouldn't consider coming; FEMA, Patriot Bill, Fed Reserve, the list goes on.

If you were still a Republic maybe, but not now under your new, unconstitutional form of Presidential government  which bypasses Congress at every opportunity.

12. whoisbid profile image74
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

America has a huge chunk of the cake to eat. Some people say that if there was only cake in the world then American has about 40% of it.

working