District 9 by Peter Jackson

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Boom! For those of you who don't know - I'm a huge Peter Jackson fan! I dont mess with that guy, just lay off him if you've got something to say. He's the boss! Lord of the Rings, aaaarghhh! That's all I've got to say.
    So now he has a new movie out, District 9, its basically about aliens landing in South Africa as refugees. Now, I'm telling ya, you gotta go see this movie. Pls, I beg of you, buy a ticket and go see it. Make my man Jackson rich, ok!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey didtn I tell you bouts this movie and you ho hummed me lol

2. dohn121 profile image82
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't wait for the Hobbit! Guillermo del Torro will be directing it and Peter Jackson will be the executive producer...What more do you want!!! On top of that, the movie will be in two parts, much like Harry Potter 7 and Kill Bill. Don't you worry, I will go see it.

2. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

Well...he was a producer...Neill Blomkamp was the director and writer of the film. It began as basically a short film and spawned into a full length feature....pretty sure if you look up the director's name you can see the short film on youtube.

I also believe the two began working together on a possible Halo project...when it fell through...District 9 was created. Blonkamp is basically an effects genius...he used a lot of stock footage from South Africa (where he is from) and added the CGI aliens in. With his technique they were able to create a full-fledged effects intense movie for the minuscule budget of 30 million dollars...you are right though...incredible flick!

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dude, I read all this stuff from imdb.com, but thanks anyway.

3. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I can't wait to see it! Looks excellent - plenty of eye candy, cool storyline, aliens - I'm sold. Plus, if you say it's good what w/ your passion and knowledge regarding the big screen, I believe ya.

I like Jackson, too. The dude has major obsessive-like passion for his work and I admire him and appreciate all he has given us movie-goers!

1. profile image0

Hey thanks, Roo. Its a good one!

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love those 'guns' Roobee! smile

4. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yeah back to basics with low budget film making is what makes Jackson's films quite good, although he isn't the director..I'm sure it'll be good, I'm just waiting for The Lovely Bones which is be directed by him.....not to mention the Hobbit which had to be written by him and his two other writing strong team.....ooooh yeah some good films coming out!!!

1. profile image0

Jackson rules!

5. Kent Merritt profile image69
    Kent Merrittposted 14 years ago

It got a 'Universal Acclaim' score of 81 (out of 100) on Metacritic...

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/district9

Lot of glowing reviews, too.

6. Enelle Lamb profile image74
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

It's at the top of my list to see (now that it's in theaters) the trailers looked awesome!

7. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

The problem with movies like this is that they usually beat you over the head with their 'message.' If they get through the whole thing without actually uttering the word "apartheid" or shoehorning in some cheesy speech about segregation and race and all, then I'll be surprised.

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I saw District 9 on Friday. I LOVE movies about aliens, even dumb ones--in fact, especially dumb ones--so I wasn't expecting anything all that heavy. I hadn't heard much about it, I just knew it had aliens in it so I bought my popcorn and prepared to kick back.

OMG! District 9 is unbelievably well done and it works on so many levels. I mean, if you just want to see cool aliens and watch stuff blow up, you get plenty of that--but it's also got a good plot and it moves along really fast and is very well made. I found myself forgetting it was a sci fi flick--the low budget docudrama conceit works so well you start to think it's really a bit of actual news after it's on awhile.

The reviews are making quite the issue of the South African setting and apartheid, but the imagery reminded me of Iraq and Afghanistan. I took the whole thing as more of a metaphor for the developed world's exploitation of the third world. I didn't see it as just a comment on South Africa.

Honestly I think it's not just a great sci fli flick, I think it's a really good film period. I'd recommend it to anyone.

9. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

Ok I think everyone pushed me over the edge...I'll have to watch it. Everyone keeps saying good things about it, so I'll have to grab a couple guys and make it a guy's night out (the wife wouldn't like the movie).

10. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I watched District 9 with a friend yesterday, and let me just say it was not my kind of movie.  There is some gore, and I even found myself covering my eyes a few times.  The aliens were not scary per se, but the fantasy violence against humans and aliens sort of grossed me out.  District 9 is not a movie to watch if you are not really into lots of blood shed, whether it be aliens or people.  Also, the alien dna fusing with the human arm was about all I could really handle.  Admittedly I really did not know what the movie was about so I gave it a chance, but I would never watch it again.

The plot and the storyline were actually engaging though, as long as you do not have a weak stomach like me.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I wanna see Jacksons other movie

Lonely people or lovely people...ooooo...

12. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I watched about 20 minutes of this movie and walked out.  Very disappointed.  I am so tired of the documentary in your face type of filmmaking.  It wasn't as bad as Cloverfield, I only made it through 15 minutes of that trash.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)