Religion conflict with science

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

This is about religions (obviously not all of them, but most of the evangelical sorts, apparently) that insist that faith supersedes science, and "worship" of science is somehow something the faithful should avoid.

I think this is ignorance of what science is.

Francis Collins has said that science is the language of God, that it explains how the universe was organized and how it works, no matter what you believe (or don't believe) about its origins.

If you believe in God, then a process that explains natural phenomenon and the limits to which we can manipulate the world can perfectly fit within that.

I suspect that evangelicals tend to prey on the uneducated and incurious, and will invent all sorts of cockamamie explanations as to why science should be ignored and hated. They don't understand what science is and find it easier to demonize something that they don't understand (a pattern as old as the hills).

If you believe God has not chosen to reveal anything about the universe except what's been taken down in a book, then maybe the joke's on you (and maybe you should be living in a cave and illiterate, because science is what gave us the ink, binding, and paper that the Bible's printed on!).

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you put not all in this.
      I do not believe that evangelicals hate science or fear it. Rather I think it is a matter of the conclusions some scientists and those who follow them come up with that is the problem between us.
      It is all a matter of perception as to what they see to draw their own conclusions.
      I look at the science and see how really awesome and amazing our God is and what an absolutely brilliant scientist He is! While others look at the same scientific data and say "there is no god."

So when the two come together in a forum like this you have oil and water based on two very different conclusions from the same set of facts.

2. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I think it shows insecurity. They are scared that science will kill god, but if God actually existed that would be imposible

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

'I suspect that evangelicals tend to prey on the uneducated and incurious, and will invent all sorts of cockamamie explanations as to why science should be ignored and hated. They don't understand what science is and find it easier to demonize something that they don't understand (a pattern as old as the hills).´'

SO TRUE ! smile

4. ionerice profile image61
    ionericeposted 14 years ago

In the 14th century an individual was required to get a theology degree before he was allowed to get a medical degree.  This was a mandate from the Christian Church that controlled everything in the world.  A physician and scientist couldn’t do or say anything without the approval of the Pope and hierarchy of the Church.

It wasn’t until the Reformation Period that Scientists and Doctors launched their fight against the control of the Church which allowed them to find cures and develop treatments that’s responsible for what we have in healthcare today.  Before then people were dying needlessly.  This is why many Doctors and Scientist are non-believes today.  I’ve heard many Ministers preach, call Jesus first and go to the Doctor as a last result.

5. Chef Jeff profile image59
    Chef Jeffposted 14 years ago

Why do we keep this argument going?  Science is not diametrically opposed to religion - it is not incumbent upon a scientist to either believe or disbelieve in order to become a scientist.  Individuals make the choice about religion or lack thereof and if some scientists do not believe in a god or gods, then so what?  There are many others who do believe.

It seems to me that the Fundamentalist Christian groups are the ones making the argument that to be a scientists is to be an atheist.  I see no scientific group making the claim that God exists or does not exist.  this is a personal belief, not an agenda of science.

I do know that often I have been told I am not really Christian because I don't believe what "all Christians believe", which turns out to be whatever the particular religious group claims is "The Truth."

Cheers!

Chef Jeff

6. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

I love science.  I think that science uncovers some of the mystery behind what GOD created.  Unfortunately, science can only explain so much, and then it gets argued just as religion does.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I agree with what the OP says; however (Devil's Advocate, sort of, here), I have to say that even as someone who does not belong to a religion, there are things that are done in science that, to me, do go against my own sense of morality and/or respect for life.

When it comes to whether or not some religions are "ok" with something like Evolution (versus Creationism), that's one thing.  There are, though, some practices in Science that I can see really do go against some people's sense of morality/right and wrong; so even if the objection to Science (in some cases) is for different reasons, I can see why some people (religious or not) object to some of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)