Hub promotion / backlinks help

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mroconnell profile image72
    mroconnellposted 16 years ago

Hey,

I just finished a hub on mortgage applications.  It's a subject I know a bit about, but I don't have nearly as much of an online presence in the subject of finances as I do in other areas (e.g. my last hub on lock picking).  I was thinking it would be cool if we all got together (perhaps as a part of project backlink) and helped promote each other's hubs.

So if anybody has a pretty youthful topic that they want youthful traffic for, they can let me know.  People will readily follow signature links to hubs about video games and lockpicking and other young shenanigans at a lot of the forums that I frequent.

On the other hand, if you have a good reputation in finance or travel forums, maybe you'd be able post a link to finance or travel hubs.

Obviously, this would require a certain level of quid pro quo to work out in the long run, and hubs would have to be high quality.

I was thinking of starting out with just flagship hubs.  Next time you have a flagship you want me to put in my sig on some of my forums, let me know.  And then you can try to help me get some links to my next hub out in the wide open yonder.

PS- is this a good idea for project backlink?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I thought this kind of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" agreements, done on a big scale, were frowned on by Adsense etc.?

1. topstuff profile image61
      topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lovely talk

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Adsense really don't care I think.

Social bookmarking sites do, but Ryan is talking about different approach.

Basically, imagine you are a respected community member at, say, some dancing forum. If you post a link, people are going to follow it.

Now, Ryan writes a hub about dancing, and you do him a favor and post a link to his hub.

And you have a hub about, say, wine making - but do not belong to any community that is interested in the topic - but Ryan does. So, he returns you a favor smile

This is how I understand what he is suggesting smile

1. mroconnell profile image72
      mroconnellposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Misha sees into my mind and explains it more clearly than I can. smile

Anyway, this isn't a huge organized deal.  If anybody has a really good hub (either flagship standards or close to them) in a field like wine, food, tv, movies, music, DIY, craft-projects, or something else it seems I might be interested in helping promote, let me know.

I'll keep an eye on the newly published Flagship Hubs, but updating that site isn't an immediate priority, and a lot of people make Flagship quality hubs for topics that aren't evergreen or aren't flagship for some other reason.  so just give me a heads up.

I'm basically offering to lend my voice to promote extraordinarily well-built hubs on subjects that I have some authority/community presence in.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

This sounds like a good idea. I have a few I wouldn't mind adding to your list. I will of course return the favor. I interact in mostly property forums and blogs, but have quite a few places I can drop stuff. Here are a few of mine:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Forex-Trading-a-guide
    http://hubpages.com/hub/2008-Motorcycle-Guide
    http://hubpages.com/hub/2008-Sport-Bike … ycle-Guide
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Buy-a-Pr … oreclosure
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Ten-American-Recipes
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Foreclosure-Lis … osed-Homes
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Absinthe---The-New-Tequila-
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-buy-stocks-online

These two need a little love having been penalised by google for no reason I can fathom|:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhone-Cases
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhone-Earphones

All of my hubs are, of course, flagship quality, if not flagship length big_smile

Drop your mortgage app hub here, I have loads of places that I can drop that.

5. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I would love to to something like this but I can't even get a hubscore over 85 no matter what i do so I probably don't qualify.

6. mroconnell profile image72
    mroconnellposted 15 years ago

DJ, if you write a hub that meets flagship standards (even though you're not getting paid upfront because you're not in the program or whatnot) I will gladly promote it.  Heck, I've talked about your hubs with my friends even when they're not flagship standard.  They're usually so fun (like the votes on music videos).

This goes for anybody.  If you've got a hub that has at least 1500 words, has at least ten good outbound links with original descriptions, a few applicable videos and a few applicable images while totally avoiding untrustworthy neighborhoods and affiliate links, let everybody know in this thread the way Mark did.  I had forgotten about his absinthe hub but I'm totally gonna tell people about it now. smile

7. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years ago

I only have 1 flagship so far, but a few others that might be close, could you elaborate a little please.

Oh, here's my flagship:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Mortgage-Defaul … Assistance

8. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I'm a member of a few forums, and one or two of them have members who are selling their sig spots.  You pay them, they put your link in their signature.  Don't know what the going rate is.  I think I saw that on Warrior and on Digital Point.

I considered offering space on the links page of my website, but instead, I think that I will offer to do blog entries that incorporate links.  I've actually already done that, sort of....I put the link after the posting.  If anybody wants, I'll do an entry around the subject matter of the hub and have your link or two in the body.

This would also give me fodder for daily content on the site.  The blog is new, so I haven't settled on a theme yet.  Started out with a couple of autobiographical tales and then I put in a comedic ad for Hubpages.

Anyway, the blog link is in my profile.  If I have enough familiarity with your subject matter to write intelligently about it, I'm glad to help.  Just let me know.
    Shirley

9. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Google's take on paid links is probably worth taking the time to read and digest.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thx, Paul.  I'm grateful that you posted the link, but it's like trying to read a foreign language to me.  I understand enough to get the gist of the caution, but don't know enough to prevent potentially inviting harm.

I'm going to try to teach myself more.  For starters, how to find out about my pageranking.

Thx, again.  You do such an awesome job.

10. mroconnell profile image72
    mroconnellposted 15 years ago

I see the point about paid links being unliked by Google.  Well, consider this a renunciation of quid pro quo linking.  But if anybody ever writes a hub that's sweet and they want me to see it, feel free to let me know about it.  Because I like reading awesome hubpages on topics I'm interested in.

11. Shirley Anderson profile image71

Yeah, after Paul's note, you could hear the crickets in this forum.

Thank God for the voice of reason.

12. dobsc400 profile image71
    dobsc400posted 15 years ago

I don't think you should give you should give up on this train of thought altogether. It seems like your on the right track but your heading the wrong way. The reason being that you are talking about completely unnatural linking, which sticks out like a sore thumb. If we were to band together and instigate a natural intra/intersite linking scheme there would be nothing wrong with that.

Example: Mroconnell publishes his hub about Mortgage applications, I then look at my hub about reverse mortgages and realize that the keywords "Mortgage application" are in the middle of a paragraph on my page. As such I add a little bit of the old <a href="http://hubpages.com/hub/mortgage-rejection">mortgage applications</a> to my article and what do you know we have a natural backlink.

This could also be done from the blogs that everyone seems to have, so long as we keep it natural.

The objective of the backlinking will be that hubbers will achieve higher search engine ranking  placements for their desired keywords and thus this fledgling community will receive greater overall traffic (from google).

I don't see any down side.

13. Shirley Anderson profile image71

Whew!  That sounds innocent and not only harmless, but good.

I do not understand so much of this stuff, I don't want to cause any problems for me or anyone else.

Thanks for putting into idiot-proof terms for me.

Soooooo, does this mean we're back on with Plan Backlink?  Using common sense, of course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)