Does Profile Page Really Matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. broussardleslie profile image77
    broussardleslieposted 14 years ago

Sorry if this is not the proper Forum Category to post this in.

I've updated my Profile Page to include links to some of my hubs. Is that helpful? 

Can you take a look and see if there are any changes you would make? http://hubpages.com/profile/broussardleslie

Does your profile page really even matter?

Thank you for your input!

1. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do like you updated Profile Page and this is the proper place to post this!  It is well organized in which any visitor can easily navigate through.  The only thing that I would add is a brief bio about yourself to build a bit of trust with your audience.  You can do so without being too revealing. 

I hope this helps, Leslie.

broussardleslieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dohn: Thanks for your input. I always appreciate your help! When you say "bio" do you mean like where I'm from, my family situation, etc?

Yes, but use that to your discretion.  I look at it as a kind of resume in which entices readers to read your hubs.  For instance, my being born in Vientiane, Laos automatically lends credit to me to write about Luang Prabang, Laos, the Khene instrument, Alexandra Bounxouei, and even Lao Folktales.  Living in New York for most of my life also gives me some right to be writing about New Paltz, NY, etc.

Of course, this is up to you...I just think it helps me to gain a readership.

I like it.  It short and sweet and to the point.  I recommend updating it with the influx of newly published hubs.  I've learned while hubbing that visitors are VERY LAZY and need everything to be ready for them, even if it means saving them from having to scroll down a page. 

Great job, Leslie! big_smile

Thanks, Dohn!!

2. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As to the question - Does your profile matter? Its nice to have an idea of the person behind the Hubs. Well, for people like me who are always curious.

Will check out your Profile later and leave a comment. smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always look at profile pages to find out about the person and if they have sites that I might like to visit.  it's kind of like your 'business card.'

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

also, if it's too long and someone has every single article they've ever written, I don't read it. sometimes 'less is more.'
        smile

2. broussardleslie profile image77

Business card. Thank you for that explanation.
        I'll definitely check out your blog!

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I would go out on a limb and say yes it does matter. I have had a couple of adsense clicks from my profile page so even it can add somewhat to how you profit here. smile

Kirsten: I didn't realize there were ads on my Profile! Thank you for pointing that out; now I will definitely start taking the profile page seriously.

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Hey dohn long time no chat...hay can you give me some pointers on my profile page please?http://hubpages.com/profile/Crazdwriter

Hey, Crazdwriter.  I think that you should give a brief summary/synopsis about your hubs so as to sell to the reader why they should read your hubs.  I do like your intro but you could definitely add a bit more info concerning your hubs so that can easily navigate your page.

I look at my profile page like a Hub Store in which I'm inviting readers to come inside and pay a visit.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dohn! I'll definitely change it and hopefully make it better lol but right now...BREAKFAST! I'm starving!

Not that you asked for my opinion, Crazdwriter, but I did take a look at your profile. I agree with Dohn. In my humble opinion, the profiles that have links to topics and/or some of your favorite hubs seem to be the most eye-catching...

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I think it absolutely matters! That's the first thing you see when visiting a hubbers profile. I always read the profiles of hubbers and love to see some interesting or fun info about the person. It helps us get to know you and is a great way to introduce yourself to the community. Your profile can turn people away from your page or draw them in. It also helps put a face to hubbers, making us more real as well as providing a great space to link to a blog or other website you may have.

Thank you for your input, Janetta. I have had links to my blogs on my profile for a while. I do not know if anyone clicks on them, but they are there smile

I agree that a profile can turn someone away, as I had went to a VERY boring profile page recently that was a LOT of copy, and I just left.  Did not even look at the hub titles, because I would have had to scroll down...

I think that your intro on your profile is fabulous (and your pic helps, too!)

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, thank you very much smile I've done the same thing with long, boring profiles. Makes you not even want to read anything else. I figure your profile is the first thing you've written that others will read so better make it interesting!! lol big_smile

5. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Whenever I read articles online, I check to see what the author's credentials or experience are for the subject they're writing about. My own profile is useless in that regard (good example of what NOT to put in a profile) but it does matter.

I will DEFINITELY be following your blog! Thank you for posting your opinion regarding profile pages on this forum. I greatly appreciate it!

What if I do not have any experience or credential to offer towards my hub in my profile? For example, I've written about political/social issues in my hubs, I do not reference any particular reason in my profile that someone SHOULD read my opinion...does that help or hurt me?

6. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Nice Profile.

There's alot of writing on your page. You might want to consider putting Hubs in a link. Example, if someone clicks on Political and Social issues - it then opens up to the Hubs you listed. (I did it with Poems on my profile)

If you check out the profile for Aqua - Click on Health and Beauty, it opens up to all her Hubs on Health and Beauty. I don't know how that clever lady did it, but you might probably know how.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Aqua

Just a suggestion as most people skim profiles. smile

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's a really neat trick!  I'll have to figure out how that's done.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

shes linking to her tag and category pages (specifically topics )

Lady e= entertainment
        http://hubpages.com/author/Lady_E/topic … nt/637/hot

http://hubpages.com/author/Aqua/topics/ … y/1117/hot

you can do the same

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
          Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, okay, thanks. I just looked.  Not as complicated as I thought.  I thought I would have to hack the URL and figure out how mine would work through trial and error.  Of course, it doesn't really make much difference for me currently since you can see all my hubs on one page.  Off to work on some more...

Thank you, lady_E that is an EXCELLENT idea.
          Sunforged, I understand what you are saying, but I still do not know how to do it...Where do I find my tag and category pages?

Thank you all so much for your input!

1. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well you already have your topic pages on the profile page, is that new since you wrote this comment?

you can get to the tag pages via the tag links in the sidebar of your hubs - what i called 'category" are the hub created categories already on your profile page - you can click the header and use that link, doesnt make sense for the profile page, but can be used outside of hubpages and in your hubs

Yes, I'm sorry. I hastily asked the question sad I didn't mean to waste your time. I did eventually figure it out. I still think Aqua's profile looks better, though.

3. Lady_E profile image61
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Its so handy to know these tips.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aqua's IS good.  I, on the other hand, have been "brilliant" enough to send people AWAY from my Hubs.  roll   lol  lol  I guess my thinking was that whatever my profile lacks in information the other stuff shows, in the event anyone is at all interested anyway. 

I've never quite known what to do with the profile.  I've gone back and forth between having only a few of the "skeleton basics" to having having more personal stuff, to having "whatever" seems like a good idea when in I'm in the mood to change it.  I may to need to "copy" Aqua's approach one of these days.

How did you send people away?
          I agree with you on the profile; I've battled with it the entire 2 months I've been here.

3. broussardleslie profile image77

Jeff, I'm not POSITIVE, but you might not be able to do it until the categories show up on your profile. (I believe that happens at 15 hubs). Again, I could be wrong...

7. broussardleslie profile image77
    broussardleslieposted 14 years ago

Okay, I've updated it again with the "topics" pages and a very brief bio at the top...

Can someone/everyone please take a look and tell me what you think now?

8. EWealthGuide profile image60
    EWealthGuideposted 14 years ago

I'll agree with the other people, and I'd say it does matter. Because when soemone clicks on your picture, they will ready your profile info, and if it's interesting they'll read your hubs, and hopefull become your fan.

I agree. Did you check out my profile? I'd love your input.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)