Is Religion Just A Way To Control or More?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. neocobra5 profile image60
    neocobra5posted 14 years ago

Is Religion Just A Way To Control or More?

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Control what?

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

To control people.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

What religion are we talking about?

4. Cagsil profile image69

ALL of them

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

All of them, are you sure? I have never heard anything at my church but how we can be better servents of God. I've never heard a political position voiced ever! Never even discussed an issue of any kind other than service to our fellow man. It's one of our rules to obey our govenment and our laws, period. Our doors are allways open to anyone who would like to see for themselves. We don't endorse any canidate of any party, ever.

1. profile image0
      Rick Marlowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever noticed that the ones who don`t believe in God and church always know more about what goes on in the sanctuary than we do?

1. profile image0

What`s up Ernest.You snuck in behind me.Good to see ya.

2. profile image0
        Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course we know more. This is not rocket science!

Once you understand the principles of control then all becomes obvious.

There is a potent symbiotic relationship between a controller and those who both need and want to be controlled. God simply represents the controller. Even without God, those who need control in their lives - because they are too weak and too uncritical of thought - would still need to find a controller ... perhaps in an even more dangerous and subversive enviornment, that of a cult.

1. profile image0

Wow! That was intense for a heathen!

1. profile image0

He must have checked the back of the cereal box.

6. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

Reliigion services the mentally weak.

If you have a passive, unquestioning mind then you're rich pickings for religionists.

But religion cannot control per se. You need to allow yourself to be controlled. Mentally passive individuals are the most controllable. They are in effect sponges. In fact, there is really very little difference between a sea sponge and a follower of God. Their intelligence levels are somewhat similar.

smile

1. profile image0

Your beany- weenees are talking to you again aren't they?

7. Cagsil profile image69

But you seem to be missing the point?

By you believing in religion or any religious text....the "church" control how you think>?

Thought that would be obvious.

All religion is fake. It's a very OLD system of control, that has existed, increased in strength and burdened society. It must be done away with.

It is literally destroying life, as we know it. Because, it's not true.

If you're planning on making any references to Jesus Christ, the human male, who lived 2000+ years ago, his teachings were NOT meant for today's, day and age, human conscious people.

His teaching isn't portrayed in Religion, as it should be, because it's completely taken out context.

It would also help you to know......when Jesus Christ lived there millions, upon millions of people who didn't even know who they were, let alone know of their own existences.

Yes, before Jesus Christ, many people walked around guided by nature. Your human consciousness allows you to surpass the power of nature and let you live your LIFE your way.

Anything else?

1. profile image0

You're not quite correct with the points you make at the start.

Religion is not automatically controlling. Religion does not equate to control. Many think that, but it is wrong.

There needs to be a willing compliance within the individual to allow themselves to be controlled. This point is frequently overlooked and needs to be re-iterated

2. profile image0

You know the stuff on the back of cereal boxes isn't true don't you?

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Fear of death would be a major motivator! lol

1. profile image0

So would ranch dip but we don't do that at church either.

9. profile image0
    Star Witnessposted 14 years ago

In response to the above...  The belief in the divine and the belief in maintaining a culturally based religion can be two very different things.  The desire to understand the former certainly does not have to be based on any idea of control.

1. profile image0

I`ve been trying for days and different threads to get that point across. I do not prescribe to modern religions.Myself and a vast majority of the people I speak with just want to believe in our God and be left alone to do that.We`re not in any following or cult. We just happen to believe in and worship God.Only once on any hubs or any forums have I tried to influence anyone towards my beliefs.This was only done because the person was as you say,(calling out for help and I felt compelled tooffer advice in like manner.I do not preach or bible thump my beliefs to others unless requested. If you choose not to believe ,then fine for you.I don`t stand up on a stump and proclaim to the world that you`re a mindless idiot,or assinine ignorant infidel who has no common sense of life or reality.You guys believe what you want and give us the same respect.

10. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Control is an illusion. we allow ourselves to be led or pave our own way. Religion is merely a vehicle to learn what is and isn't acceptable in modern society, but it can easily be corrupted at the pulpit to serve an agenda. Still, many believers do remember where the on/off switch is for the mind control, caring to listen to the lessons given, but not the messages that tell them to act outside the boundaries of their religion.

We're not all zealots ... in fact ... we would just as soon see them join the non-believers side, as they give us believers the heeby-jeebys as well. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi, I think you are "spot on" with your comments here.
      Jon

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, a dragon never lies. wink

2. profile image0

Well said Yoshi97. You know these threads are for discussion and debate,at least I thought they were.But on every single forum I`ve been on there is always 2,3 or 4 that are hateful non-believers.As soon as you make any acknowledgement of faith,the mud slinging starts.They don`t care if you believe in Fred Flintstone,the name calling starts.Some of these cats are half my age and really haven`t got dried behind the ears yet.What have they experienced in life?Did you ever stop and think what you go through in a year of your life?I`d just appreciate a little more respect.I know when to speak and when not to.I was taught how to address others and when to keep my big mouth shut.

Unfortunately, the zealots have given us all a black eye. You know the type ... you try to speak of something spiritual from the heart and they quote you thirty verses and then tell you to go read the Bible some more.

I do understand the angst of the unbeliever as they see themselves in Vietnam and we believers are the Charlie running through the woods. Some of us are North Vietnamese and some of us are South Vietnamese, but we kinda all look alike so they just assume we are all the enemy.

I'd like to place all of the zealots on an episode of 'Lost
        ... and never find them. smile

1. profile image0

I said the same thing about zealots on another forum to another believer.That`s one reason I never tried selling anything from cars to houses.If people don`t want what you`re selling,then why push it.They can decide the same as we did right? Thanks for the support.Bless you.

No problem. smile

2. profile image0

Mild mannered, self effacing christians I really have no problem with. We have them here in England. They are usually middle aged or old. They go to church, sing their songs, read a bit of bible fluff, then round it off with biscuits and jam sandwiches at the Vicarage tea party. Very few atheists would have a problem with someone like.

The odious cretins that I and many take issue with are those bankrupt of a rational mind.. You can spot them a mile off. Usually their opening gambit is some codswallop from the bible/quaran. They back their codswallop up with what they believe are hard statements they pass off as facts. In reality, these statements are faith statements, there is nothing factual about them. Then to round it off, they tell us we are going to burn in hell because we do not possess a mind as bankrupt of rational thought as they do. It's these misguided clowns who many take issue with.

11. Cagsil profile image69

But, when you're in an open public forum....anything goes, because freedom of speech allows it.

12. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Religious-Beginning
    Hope this gives you an idea=)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)