How many times have you given up smoking?!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (72 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Not one in a thousand gives up smoking completely. So.........

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many, though I am smoking electronic cigarettes now and have no desire to go back to the real thing. My goal is to eventually quit these as well, once I am positive I won't work my way back to regular cigarettes. smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi - tell about the e-cigs please. Expensive?
        I'm trying to quit only because I'm supposed to, so of course I'm having no luck. sad

Once you get past the original cost it's about a buck a cartridge per day ... at least for my Smoore m201. The neat thing is I can sit in a smoke filled bar and have no desire for a regular cigarette ... and when the natives get real drunk I can mess with them by placing my (electronic) cigarette in my pocket or taking it apart, which always makes them wonder how I did it. smile

The kit I bought was about $40. I also bought a few spare batteries, atomizers, and chargers ... so I'm never without.

What makes the M201 the best IMHO is the fact that it has a big battery and a big cartridge, so it lasts quite a long time before you need to charge the battery or change the cartridge. I also can honestly say I no longer smell like a tobacco stain, I breathe better, and I feel healthier.

I wrote a hub on it a while back if you want more info. smile

$40 is less than I spend in a week, I hate to admit.
            Yes, I will absolutely read your hub! Thanks for mentioning it!
            If it was not so expensive I would not be thinking twice about quitting. I realize that makes be a bad person, but I'm an honest bad person. smile

People don;t become addicted to things because they are bad people, they become addicted to things because (typically) they lead stressed lives and seek ways to cope that can often be harmful ... nicotine, alcohol, drugs ... you name it

That's why people find it so hard to quit a habit, because you need to replace it with a healthier one that provides the same calming effect.

Don't get me wrong ... electronic cigarettes are definitely not 100% healthy for you as others might say. However, they are far better than regular cigarettes in too many ways.

Thanks for talking with me about this buddy smile
                2 reasons I'm thinking about quitting:
                1) High price in Michigan - too expensive. I'm actually buying Marlboros instead of groceries during our downturn.
                2) I rent, and I'm getting concerned about my landlord's opinion of the color of the paint he so lovingly put on my walls.

I'm bad because those are the only two reasons I think I should try. sad don't care about the rest of it I hate to admit. So, for Reason 1 and Reason 2 above, this may be a good option for me.

Regardless, I will check out your hub.
                smile
                HAGN MF

Trust me ... groceries outdoes cigs any day ... that's why I switched over. smile

Another thing I hate to admit - I have lost 25 pounds since my salary got cut and I am also not buying my medication because I cant afford it. But dammit if I can't stop buying Marlboros.
                    See why I'm bad? sad

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ummm, i quit about 10 times? most recently......for 6 weeks

3. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too many to count.  Seems the only way I can quit for a long period of time is when I'm pregnant, and that is never happening again in my life, so I need a new idea. smile

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. b2seeds profile image60
      b2seedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probablly 5x's a day! I quit cigarettes and went to black and milds! lol

5. Diskobolos profile image56
      Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

0 - never even started it.smile

1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even better.

2. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

7 times, and I always get re-hooked again at some point sad

1. Classycut profile image60
      Classycutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say that you have not yet decided to quit smoking. It happened to me the same way. I did stop at a time for a year but when finally I decided to quit, it took me only saying no more and is done. I have not smoked for 10 years now and I fell it is all over for life.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I quit every night when I go to bed, and on the days I remember I'm trying to quit when I wake up, I try to only smoke a couple puffs and put the smoke out.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only way to quit is to have no puffs, else you are actually trying to cut down.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Well... technically... I never did. sad

oops ... I wasn't stepping on your toes Sandra ... I was speaking of the sites selling them that say they are 100% safe.

Trust me ... you're on my fan list ... I likes ya! smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No worries, it went right over my head.  I just read the tread title and replied. 

I have tried to give up smoking at least 50 times but have never actually given it up. wink

I've been off of them since April ... once I hit the one year mark I intend to give up the electrics as well ... Freedom!!! smile

1. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats.  I hope you can do it.  Just remember (so they say...wait it has been my demise) not even one.

You're awesome Yoshi!

You've tried to quit many times Sandra ... that tells me that one day you will succeed.

Only a person who never tries is guaranteed to meet with failure. wink

5. Joelle Burnette profile image69
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

Never had to.
    Although, it was a close call...years ago, in the days of smoking in the workplace, I had a job where most of my co-workers smoked. If you don't think second-hand smoke affects people around smokers, you'd be mistaken: after being around all that smoke, one night, I nearly asked for a smoke from my boss. I actually felt the desire to have a smoke.

Glad I resisted and never began.

6. dinkan53 profile image72
    dinkan53posted 14 years ago

The key to quit smoking is commitment. Smokers strongly motivated to stop were found twice as successful as those who were less motivated. List your reasons for stopping. Tell yourself life is too beautiful to be squandered on this vile habit.

1. profile image0

then have life kick you in the teeth

7. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I'd say 2 - 5 times.

8. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I have one time for about 2 weeks.

1. profile image0

hey  smile   long time no see
      how are ya these days?

9. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Twice before I finally succeeded. Smoke-free 17 years.

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Smoke free for a year now after several previous attempts. The best thing is I did it without any substitutes this time and purely by following a course that I have written about in my hubs. No drugs, patches, inhalators, pills, gums etc, I highly recommend it as I found this course made it so easy and now I feel great smile

11. Rascal Russ Miles profile image59
    Rascal Russ Milesposted 14 years ago

Hi,smile
    Great question. I have no problem giving up smoking. Heck, I successfully quit 19 times before I finished my last pack of Pall Malls. wink
    Perhaps I should find a colour that might help...
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Color-Therapy-A … e-Medicine

12. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

"How many times have you given up smoking?"

Today?

13. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I officially quit smoking 3x in my life. I was 9 years old, when I started, quit when I was 13 year old. It was 4 years before I picked up another cigarette, after a trauma event in my life, brought me back to them at 17 years old. My second time was at 22 years of age, it lasted 6 months, before I made the choice to start again. Then when I was 35 year old, I decided to quit for a couple of weeks. Again, I made the choice to re-start. I've been smoking ever since.

14. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I had my last cigarette in early September, then 8 or 9 weeks on Nicotine patches, and 3 weeks without patches. It still think about them, and a trauma such as a death in the family would be all that is needed for me to buy a pack.... but I feel a lot healthier and happier for now.

This was my 4th attempt on patches, the first 3 missed the will power. If you havent got the willpower then dont bother trying.

15. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

4th month without.

After 36 years of smoking.

Didn't kill anyone yet. wink

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not a joke.

Really............... lol

Well, that's a good thing I guess. lol lol lol lol lol

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I hope all you guys will stop and find really the will to stop smoking,

have never tasted any cig in my life

and for Mr Mark, good for you...

Smoking isn't an addiction, it is a choice. Anyone trying to tell you different is only promoting something you can't possibly understand for an agenda.

If you have the WILL to quit, then you'll quit. If you don't WANT to quit, but try to quit, you will fail. If you make the mental choice and reinforce it Will and a wanting desire to be smoke free, then you will not have a problem quiting for good.

I choose to smoke and Yes, I understand the consequences of my actions. I know I can quit anytime I choose to, because I have a strong enough Will to overcome, should I want to. smile

On another note- my comment was for the general forum, and not directed at you PDH. I just want to respond you, to let you know why I smoke, but at the same time address the rest of the forum. smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

will you want to stop soon CAGS?

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

I used to kid myself the same way. Not an addiction. I like it.

Sure......

17. Vicki99 profile image69
    Vicki99posted 14 years ago

I "paused smoking" for a few years then took up again. Then I actually QUIT smoking 3 years ago. Cold turkey. Smoking is an addiction, it truly is. 3 days of cravings and not knowing how to have my coffee without a smoke, then it started to get easier. I still think about having one once in a great while, I don't give in to that desire, but sometimes it is still there.

I finally quit mainly because it was getting too expensive.

Good Luck to those who want to quit. If you are one of those who does not wish to quit, that's ok too, it is your decision.

18. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I've quit 3 times for a period ranging from 3 months to 2 years.  Trying again next month. If my wife has success with it, it will help me!

19. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I havent smoked for 3 years come february.
    Before that time I had one time where I quit for a year and went back because I was in university and everyone was smoking..and one other time when I quit for 3 months or something...it was such a horrible feeling when I went back.
    But thats long in the past now, giving up smoking was about bettering myself, I used the nicorette gum for a year and then if I ever felt too stressed I would buy the gum again
    I dont think I will ever smoke again, Im alot fitter, I go to the gym now smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

I could kill for a cigarette.

Now.

Right now............ Pathetic I know. sad

20. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I don't know what it was, but maybe I had a stronger will to quit because my parents used to make me feel less for doing it. Which makes my Dad an incredible hypocrite because he smokes between 20-30 a day. I don't think its pathetic your dying for a fag! Its a really hard think to overcome, and it always made me feel better if I was stressed!

21. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Once and never went back! "Cold Turkey" been 18 years now. smile Best thing I ever did, health wise and money wise....

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

how long did you smoke for dude? I was on an off for 5 years - ekk yikes

22. DogSiDaed profile image59
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I've never smoked and never will, but a good friend of mine has been 'quitting' for a LONG time, but he never seems able to shake it, any advice I could give him to help him kick the habit?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell him to decide he no longer wants to smoke.  Seriously, the patches, gum and other aids don't do it for you without your willpower.  You have to decide.  I have said this before, but someone told me this:
      You have to want to want to quit.

I have quit smoking for the third, and what I have decided will be the last time almost 3 months ago. I used e-cigs and lots of willpower.

23. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

3 times. But I found a way to give up for good. smile

Share, please?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea, share!!!

24. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Never as I never picked up the habit. But, my friend smokes and she has 'quit' a million times. I can't imagine how tough it must be. sad

25. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

i stopped smoking cigarettes once . i was a chain smoker . beset by  bronchitis one day i had a epiphany . i swear i even heard the click when it hit me. i looked at the cigarette burning in my hand . the smoke rising. and i realized i was done . i tossed it to the ground and snuffed my last smoke with my boot.

26. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I quit this summer in order to have surgery, relapsed 3 months later, and now I have to go through it again in about 2 weeks.  I wish I had never gone back to it, but now I am more aware of triggers!!!

27. Niteriter profile image60
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

I quit once.

28. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Once. Didn't smoke for about 4 months or so. Started again about 7-8 months back. big_smile

29. profile image0
    Maddison81posted 14 years ago

I quit 5 times before I finally gave up. It took me 5 years of quiting before I was successfull. I've been without a smoke for 2 years now and all I can say is its fantastic! Dont give up trying to give up!!

1. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm impressed.  I'm still trying, after years and years of non-success with quitting smoking.  Good for you, though, good for you!

30. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

haha  my eyes are getting blurry - I thought it said "How many THINGS have you given up smoking?"  so I started counting!  hahaha!

31. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.

32. profile image56
    Sir Anthonyposted 14 years ago

Well, I suppose I am one in a thousand according to this hub, but I"m not too proud of that since my wife thought I was one in a million....
    I gave up smoking only once, and that was fourteen years ago, and except for a couple of times I got a slight craving, it was easy.
    Had to quit for eight days while in hospital, and at the end of that time had no desire to smoke again...

33. Jonathan Douglas profile image60
    Jonathan Douglasposted 14 years ago

TWO TIMES

First time - I read a Stop Smoking book; I gained 25 pounds

Second time- I had a heart attack

Haven't smoked since -12 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)