What Would You Do....?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

I wasn't sure where to put this, but figured the friendship category was the best fit.

My partner and I have a 4 month old daughter, and we both are currently off work.  I'm off because of maternity leave, and he is off on extended sick leave. We live in a 3 bed apartment, which we share with a roommate.

This arrangement started while I was still pregnant, and the deal was that he would pay 1/3 rent, 1/3 of the bills, and contribute to the groceries, as well as do his share of the cleaning.  I said if he did this, I'd be happy to include him in our dinner meals, since he doesn't have a very big repertoire of meals that he can cook. Fair, am I right?

Now, this fellow is currently the only one of us workingeven though we all have income.  He works 4 nights a week.

I learned early that he can barely be bothered to let me know when he is going to be home for dinner.  Consequently, I'd make enough food for him as well, and it would often go to waste.  I got annoyed, so I told him to let me know in advance whether or not I should defrost enough meat for him to have dinner with us.  His idea of "in advance" was half an hour or so, which did not work for us.

He got more and more lazy with his share of the chores, he would do stupid things like leave water on the floor of the bathroom right next to the unfinished wood trim, and he never contributed to groceries more than a loaf of bread or jug of milk here and there.

Well, we got pissed off, and wrote him a "do it or else" letter that also stated he was to buy and eat only his own food from now on and, if he didn't like our rules he could move out.  He cried when we laid it all out for him. 

Now, he buys his own food, and he does his own dishes and takes out the trash (his contribution to the cleaning.  Big effort there).  The atmosphere is tense, to say the least.  We want him gone, but we are concerned for his welfare because... well, frankly, he doesn't appear to be concerned about himself enough.

Also... we don't want another roomie, but we aren't sure if we can float the rent and bills by ourselves, and still give the lil one all that she needs.

What would you guys do?

1. profile image48
      tanya craneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read the whole article. The story is quite interesting but feel bad that you have a unstable worker. May be he wants some thing more from you. Please try to convince and him by asking what exactly he needs else do as per your wish. There is a fashion woman shop here www innanyc com. Have a look.

Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm...thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure how this relates.  He is not a worker of mine, he is my roommate.  I've tried a few times to get him to pull his weight, but it's only worked for a little while and then he's gone back to his old habits.

As for the fashion shop...... what does that have to do with it?

No offense meant, just wondering.

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
          Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just show him the door. done.  Get a boarder if you need one.

2. Krystal Blue profile image60
      Krystal Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would do what you are doing.
      I wouldn't buy him groceries, and my groceries would be strictly off limits for him. Make sure he pays his part of the bills and cleans up after himself. You gotta think... you have another baby coming, you will need that extra money. However, if it still doesn't work out, you still must think of your family and yourself. Can you handle the stress this causing? Is it worth it?

Much luck to you and congrats on new baby on the way!

Thank you, but I am actually not pregnant again.  I'm still on maternity leave from the last child. smile

3. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear, the rot got set in when you gave him the note.  I think the damage is done.  Have you thought about councilling him?  Im not taking his side, but there are two of you and only one of him.  He might feel a bit outnumbered.  The old saying is twos company, three is a crowd.  I can imagine that he is feeling as tense as you guys.  Sharing always leads to difficulties and you have to understand that you are at home all day, so your perception is hightened - im not saying you are wrong though, just you all are victims of circumstance.  He must also be feeling that his days are numbered, so I recon he wouldnt be feeling secure.

I think he is suffering from depression too.  If he isnt looking after himself.  You all need to talk over a drink and try and build good relations again.

I also think that it is difficult with a baby.  Are you tired?  Maybe you are feeling a bit baby blues too?

I hope this helps.  This message is sent without offence and with love x

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how long is your maternity leave? how long is your husband's extended sick leave? is there someone you can borrow money from until you guys can go back to work?

is this man a relative or just a friend?

if he is not a relative, he needs to get booted NOW, if for nothing else, the sake of your baby. this guy has obviously got issues - issues which have no business being put onto you or your family.

I am on maternity leave until May, and my man is off on sick leave until the doc says it's ok to go back.. however long that is.  We don't have anyone to borrow from, as our friends and family are as broke as we are, and we already owe them money.  We just have to budget to see where our finances lie, and try to find ways to get extra money.  It will work itself out.

2. Leelin profile image61
    Leelinposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't put up with him. He sounds a little unstable which could be a concern. I just feel if you're going to live that closely with someone you just have to get along well! Boot him and write another hundred or two good money-making hubs to cover your increased monetary obligations.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Been there, done that.  Sounds like he's worn out his welcome and then some.  Gotta take care of your own camp first, and by this I mean you, your partner, and your child.  My (still a friend) ex and I had a similar situation years back...with her dysfunctional alcoholic gay adult son. 

Boxed his clothes, stuck 'em in the driveway, locked him out, gave him 48 hours to pick up his stuff before it hit the dumpster.

Who needs Dr. Phil?

1. starme77 profile image78
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto smile

Leelinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No doubt, just don't get your boot stuck when you kick his behind!lol

4. Jean N Dean profile image62
    Jean N Deanposted 14 years ago

Been in this situation a number of times. First off I have to say, two families can not live together!! If I were you I would sit him down and explain to him that your family HAS to come first and then tell him he should consider finding another place to room. Be nice of course, but be solid! Let him know that it just isn't working and it could cause a lot more damage (to your friendship as well as you and your spouses relationship) if he does stay and you would rather part as friends with no hard feelings. Like I said show compassion but be sure he reads the message loud and clear!! Good Luck!!

5. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

"We want him gone, but we are concerned for his welfare because... well, frankly, he doesn't appear to be concerned about himself enough." (quote)

This line struck me. You are a caring person. His welfare will not improve in this environment, so you can't use that reasoning to justify keeping him.

What I mean is, by keeping him on you are helping him. But by helping him, you are preventing him from moving on and learning to care for himself.

With a little one in the home, the tension is bad. It may erupt, or it may simply drag everybody down.

Time for hard tacks. Financially justify it and end the arrangement. You can handle things without him. Or, find a new way to accommodate your budget.
    Good luck. smile

6. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

There is a way out of this situation and its called the door. Be honest with yourself and this person and tell them you are no longer comfortable with the arrangement, and you would like him to leave. Honestly the intentions may have been good but outside of family there's no real good justification for a single man to be living with a couple and a kid. Yet I see this often in my area and I also see the court cases that come from it. Do yourself a favor tell him to leave. Honesty is the word here, am I being clear?

Yup.  I want him to go, but before he does, we have to make sure we can cover the rent and bills.  We either do that here, or we apply to a housing co-op and find a way to move into a larger place at the same cost or less.

1. profile image0
        Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whatever it takes, there's no reason to be uncomfortable in your own home. That is your refuge and safe haven from the world.

1. profile image0
          Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like Scott said.

Leelinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What Scott said!

7. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

the sooner you deal with it the better.  i had a situation like this when i was living with my ex.  she owned the house and wouldnt kick him out, i eventually did it myself and it was not pretty.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

always think about you and your family first, if his behavior is affecting that then tell him his options, to leave or be counted

9. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I would bet money that he will be gone within a month of his own accord. If he isn't, then you should go. You mentioned moving to a subsidized co=op as a more affordable option. Apply now, and if he isn't gone by 2010, you and partner and baby move out.

You have a kid now. Roomies are no longer a good option.

10. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Just as an update, my partner and I have put ourselves on the waiting lists of several housing co-ops, and also on the BC Housing list (they deal with low income rental housing for families).  We made it plain to the roomie that we intended to move out into a house sooner rather than later, and that he is not welcome to come with us.  He took that with some annoyance, and is making more of a pest of himself.  But, since neither of us can afford to just leave and forfeit our deposit here, we all are waiting until someone calls us about a house. Til then, we grit our teeth and try not to kill him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)