98 Year-Old Woman Murders 100 Year-Old...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Wow, I half-way heard this on CNN and thought how amazing elderly people can be.  She strangled the 100 year old room mate in a nursing home, claiming the woman was making her life a living hell.  Charges?
    I wonder what I would do under the same circumstances.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

omgsh sneak big_smile

that's a very sad story though sad

lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It really is, cosette.  I mean, how on earth could the employees not see this coming?

1. starme77 profile image78
          starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The employees are overworked in  understaffed facilities some have 20 or 30 patients per shift

You touch on a subject near to my heart-near my home is a nursing home woefully understaffed and under constant administrative shifts.  It is so hard for everyone involved.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I know!!!! lol, but it is sad...

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  that is too much!  Taking advantage of the elderly like that.  She can claim insanity! Oh snap!!!!

2. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Should have respected his/her elder

No s**t!!!! lol

3. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

OMG that is absolutly terrible , but to charge her, well really , no , the lady undoubtably is overmedicated just like all the others in nursing homes today , maybe a nurse forgot to give her her antipsychotic drugs , or maybe they gave her the wrong pills or something , really I'm not kidden - read some of my hubbs on nursing homes then you'll understand what I'm sayn a bit better

I will, thanks, starme77.

read the ones on medicare and stuff they tell about nursing homes too

2. The Rope profile image61
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Starme is far too right for people to look away.  Nursing homes are hot beds for the overworked, overstressed, unpaid marginalized medical personnel and breed the "shut up or I'll medicate you" phenom. I've seen it time and again - personally.  It's a sad situation that just keeps getting swept under the rug.  Doctor's condone it, nurses are aware of it, families are heartbroken.  There's a whole underground of knowledge that is used to say the right (accepted) words to a doctor over the phone so he/she will prescribe medicines to keep the patient "under control".  Unfortunately this incident won't make a ripple in the pool.

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It was the remote, wasn't it?

Something about the 100 year old placing a table in front of the bathroom!

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My wife has threatened serious injuries if I don't stop flipp'in!

2. G Miah profile image79
      G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lmfao!!! Reminds me of The Simpsons!

5. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

sad

i think it is horrible the way we treat our elderly people. when i get old i am going to live in a log cabin and have a shotgun. i will also subscribe to LifeAlert. i would die, seriously, before i would let anyone put me in a nursing home. i feel sorry for those people who are in them.

I could go on all day bashing nursing homes but I better quit   personally I think they should all be shut down , One thing Oboma did do right was cut their funding from medicare and the waste and fraud - see every elderly person in a nursing home is a lawsuit liability so its better for the nursing homes if they die quickly unfourtanatly , instead of taking care of them they overmedicate them and understaff the facility and over charge medicare  sounds bad but its true

6. profile image0

big_smile smile

7. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Sounds like psychosis to me! More than likely the woman had severe Alzheimers & dementia.  I've seen clients who tried to jump on their caregivers, attack their spouse & threaten to kill family, all over the age of 70!

8. profile image0

how horrible sad

they have so much to offer. it's not their fault their bodies are frail and their minds are fading. and we shut them away and keep them drugged so we don't have to deal with them.

9. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I heard about that! Was shocked about it. Sad that some people must be so unhappy right up to the minute they die. I hope when I die I can look back on happy years, not the last few years of my life being filled with a roommate I hate!

10. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Well unfourtantly the younger generation dosnt feel it can happen to them , seems too far down the road , but in their late thirties or fourties they may start to notice how fast life goes , if we had them now to help speak up about their future we may be able to have enough force to deal with this crap and stop it before we too get there

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good for you starme to write hubs about the situation since you are right there and see it. my mom had to live in a rehab facility her last few months, and it was so sad to see what happens, even in those that are highly rated. half the time I couldn't understand the nurse and I would have her write down what she was saying. my mom's story is sad, so I don't want to get into it, but the reality is they are understaffed, and the situation of each patient is different. I would see people in the hallways that broke my heart. I always tried to smile and say hello but found it hard to continue a conversation. you can't really ask, how are you?... some never get visitors. sad
      any tips you can share, starme?

well, I guess the only tips I can give is to help in the fight against nursing home abuse and neglect,  ban together link to my hubbs about it and others and this isnt to make money this is to get the word out  link to as many blogs about it as possible ,I really need to do more of this,  you commented on one of my hubbs about it once , I think oboma did a good thing when he started craking down on nursing home medicare fraud , thats a start , and if your willing like me to do anything possible , even give up your job and go broke to keep your family out of one of those places  you and your family member will still be better off - it makes me sick that one of those places killed my father in law and still got thousands of dollars from medicare and on top of that , they have teh odasity to send me a bill its a joke

11. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

That's fucked up.

yup , it is

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

That story has been on our local news.  It's sad.  The "suspect" had been saying ominous things for some time.  Apparently, the family asked to have the murdered woman moved but nobody took it seriously.   It's kind of hard to figure out why people, dealing with people of an age when dimentia is so often present, would have trouble paying attention to the "alarm bells" that would being given off by that woman.  NOW she's going to have a psychological evaluation, but it might have been nicer to have that done before she murdered someone.

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

maybe this kind of thing will happen more often now that so many of the population will be aging - and will consider themselves too old to punish?  or they will think they have nothing to lose or else they'll just have dementia and will not know what the hell they're doing!  Very sad.  Maybe if a lot of people adopted an elder (the way we eagerly adopt pets) we could alleviate so much suffering!  Nursing homes are always happy to have volunteers come to spend some time with these great old people.

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

That lady was saying things like how she would outlive the other woman, and about how she'd get the bed by the window.  If she were "mentally ok" enough to think about having nothing much to lose I don't think she'd be saying stuff like that.   I know so many elderly people (including a couple in their 90's) who are a lot more capable or adjusted as a lot of much younger people; but then some people with health problems or Alheimer's are in nursing homes.  It doesn't take any big genius, though, to figure out that there's a difference between Mr. Smith's forgetting his grandson's name and Mrs. Jones talking about how she's going to outlive the roommate she's been harassing.  I don't know how the victim's family can deal with what happened.  It's the same old thing about how when someone asks for help nobody listens, nobody thinks it's as bad as they say, and nobody can believe it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)