Can it be done...?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Frugal Fanny profile image59
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

So.  I'm currently off work on maternity leave, with no intention of ever returning to the degrading minimum wage job and discriminatory boss that I was working for. To the best of my knowledge, I have until May before my maternity leave pay runs out.

My maternity leave pay equals about 55% of my average paycheque at my last job, which was minimal to start with.  My partner is also off work, on sick leave for an indefinate period of time.  Although we have a roommate to help with the bills, I still need to bring some kind of extra money.  Hell, a full paycheque would be better. smile

So, I find myself at a sort of crossroads.  I'm tossed between starting my own business (self-funded, somehow) and going back to college to take the Environmental Technology course. At this point, I'm more keen on setting up my own business, but really I will take whatever happens along first- although going back to school would be as awkward as trying to work for some company (see reasons below).

It's frustrating.  I know what I want, but I don't know how to get there. I can't go back to conventional work because I pump brestmilk for my baby and would need to take a break every 3 hours for 15 minutes to pump so that I can keep my supply from drying up.  Formula is too expensive to her feed solely on that. I can't work at cleaning for someone else, because I have allergies to a lot of conventional cleaners, and about 90% of the cleaning companies out there (here) insist you either use their cleaners or the client's cleaners.

I don't have any additional money to invest in a business, no credit cards, and the government won't fund my intiative because (even though I can't work a regular job) I can't prove that I've exhausted my capacity to get a stupid minimum wage paying job. I can't even find cleaning clients for casual work!  Grrrrr

So.  I like to write, and I'm fairly web-savvy.  I am learning the ropes of blogging, and I understand you can make money from affiliates, so I'll give it a shot and work my little tush away it. I am also trying to build my Frugal Fanny nick into a more household name, and eventually I will approach newspapers about taking on a sort of "Dear Abby" column about fix-it tips for cleaning, or critiquing cleaners and chems.

I figure I have 6 months to make a go of it, before I am forced to return to a conventional job. Incidentally....  that little 12 month period of time that you get for mat leave?  On your resume, where you can offer no explanation, it looks exactly like you lost your job and were unemployed.  That's a giant stigma to put on someone, in the eyes of a prospective employer.

I may sound like I'm whining here....and I suppose I am! lol

I'm in need of some direction about how to make some decent extra money by blogging and using affiliates.  If anyone has some advice on this....or any of what I've said here... that would be great!

Thanks, guys!

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just so you know, the word "fanny" means a different part of the anatomy in places like Australia and I think also the UK.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*sniggers*

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Money can be made online and many are already making more than what they need for a living over here. You can meet some of those on HubPages also.

What they did look pretty simple but is not that simple at all...

They had a plan.

They chose niches, keywords and products to promote wisely by looking at the trends.

They did some real hard and smart work.

Learned different ways to get traffic and capitalize it by reading articles and forums.

They still work hard and are successful.

You can be successful too, and for some more information I have met people on different forums who have gained success within a couple of months of starting working online and that was a huge success, earning many times what their job used to pay them.

3. anglfire693 profile image62
      anglfire693posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in a similar situation, and although I can't let you in on the big secret of making money on line, I did want to wish you the best of luck!

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

There is money to be made online by blogging, building a website or on sites like HP. BUT...they take time. Seriously. You will not learn all you need to know, put it into action and start seeing enough money rolling in in a matter of months. While you may make a little here or there, I would say it's really a matter of 1 to 2 years before you can make significant and consistent money online.

Many of the successful hubbers had blogs/websites before we came here so we already had the knowledge. Try reaching out for RyanKett. I'm pretty sure he was new to all of this when he started, and I believe he's doing pretty well now.

That said, there are sites like Constant Content where you can sell articles for up-front payment (no residuals). There's also Elance.com and Guru.com where you can find virtual projects/jobs. If you're the handy type, try Etsy.com. It's a website that sells only things that are handmade.

I don't know what your skillset is, but what about doing some childcare in your home, pet sitting, dog walking, tutoring or catering while you're learning the online biz?

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Actually, you are better off setting up babysitting service from home.  Instant money and you can look after your baby too.  Working online, I think, is more a hobby.  You could start now on hubbing ect and build but don't count on an income.

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I say go for it! If you can find another stream of income while you are learning the ropes that would be great.

Artfire.com is also a great place to sell anything you might be crafty with and they don't charge for a basic account. You don't get to many options with the basic one but it's a start.

Read everything you can about the online world of writing and start implementing all you learn. There is a mountain of great information here by darkside, yoshi, and others.

Look into assistance from outside sources too. I know you said you can't get much but there has to be something that will help.

I can't remember who did it I think it might have been ScottLife here but maybe you could write an ebook and sell it based on your knowledge as a teacher.

Welcome to HP. You have made a great start and keep the faith there is a way to do anything if you practice patience and perserverance.

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Being as your a mom (or soon to be) I'm guessing you have patience!! That's good because if you're going to try a hand at making money online, you'll need a lot of it! Patience, that is lol lol

6. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately, the Internet is the last place a person should start if they're desperate for cash.

Because it takes a lot of learning, reading, practicing, writing, rewriting, experimenting, editing, proofreading and testing to get it right.

Desperation often leads to disaster. As there are mistakes that can be made online that can't be reversed. Spamming and click fraud are two 'short cuts' that ends badly.

Or being quickly caught up in the hype of the latest exciting craze and spending money to get started on the next big thing. The ones that make thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars overnight (when they're not lying) are the ones that have been doing it for a long time. It might be a brand new idea, but its benefited from knowing all the ins and outs and have plenty of contacts and a big network.

By all means do start an online venture. But do it slowly. Think long term, and build a solid foundation.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

absolutely!  Maybe get some instant cash at the same time by child minding.

7. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

It can be done but it takes a lot of hard work and patience, it's not quick cash. However if your partners at home and can help with the baby a lot, there is hope.

Going into child care maybe an option but only if you have qualifications.

I say go for your dream, if you don't you'll never know. Best of luck smile

8. Frugal Fanny profile image59
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

I don't go into the internet business idea without a few notches already on my belt, rest assured.  I've been taken in by a scam, but I've also seen how hard work can pay off, as long as you have the fortitude for it. 

I got suckered into a bit net scam a few years back, and it took me years to replace the money I lost.  I have no doubt that ClickIncome has worked for some people, but allow me to give you the rundown of what happened to me.

I attended a seminar that explaned how a person could make thousands, quickly, using Ebay and ClickIncome together.  They even said "thousands, in a hurry."  So, I fell for it to the investment sum of $4500, give or take. Maybe that isn't a lot to some people, but for me it's like my life savings.  They promised to give me 5 webstores, plus a merchant account, domain names, a list of drop-shippers, auction-trend software, and 6 weekly lessons on how to set up and maintain my webstores etc etc.  A business net package that, in retrospect, I didn't need to shell out that much for.

I waited until I had moved across the country before I tried to set up my sites (when I bought the package, I didn't have any time for it, between tying up loose ends at home and in my business)- I bought it as sort of investment.  But, when I got around to calling to set up an appointment for the lessons, they told me they were changing their methods... they no longer offered 6 weekly lessons, but rather 3 1 hour lessons.  In order to get into the net lessons, I had to get an email from them with a log-in code enabling me to log into their onsite live lessons.  I never got that email, and I called 5 times asking for it.  Each time, they apologized and said I'd have it right away.  The booked lessons came and went without me. 

I called many times, and each time I got the runaround, until eventually they told me that they changed their methods again.  They were just going to let people learn on their own and call when they needed. I tried to get my money back and couldn't because, stupidly..... a refund limitation was part of the contract I signed.

Basically, they took their customers' money, gave them the runaround. They walked away richer, while the customers walked away less thousands of dollars.

Anyway, I'm not looking for retailing fixes, and these days I do lots of research before I commit to anything.  I've heard good things about affiliates and blogging and such, so.....at the very least, even if I make no money this way directly, then I can use it to build up a portfolio of writing so that I can submit to magazines and newspapers.  Apparantly, blogging is a valid form of publication to them.

Who knows, unless I try and put the longterm time and work in, right?  smile

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Fanny, you should check out Lissie's blogs on this very subject, here's her profile which has the links:

http://hubpages.com/profile/Lissie

She has been through exactly the journey you're planning now, trying to make a living online. 

And Darkside is right, Fanny is a rude word in many other English-speaking parts of the world, so I would avoid it if I were you.

I run a site about belly dancers in Australia, and recently we had a terrific belly dancer arrive from Hungary to live here. After some feedback from the locals, she decided to change her name to Lina.

Her real name is Fanny Kiss.

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a possible name in Hungary. But we say and write our surname first, and the first name second calling it 'cross' name. So it's actually Kiss Fanny.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really? LOL.   I can imagine a few men volunteering!  I know it will probably get snipped, but to satisfy any curiosity:

http://bellydanceoz.com/2008/08/lina/

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Where am I?

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

You're here. lol

12. profile image0

I'm so confused this thread has knots man hmm:

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Well, I tried to help. You asked Where am I?

I told you were here. lol lol

I haven't read all the forum. I read it when first posted. I have no help to offer. It's not a discussion I would advise on in public.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

whew, thought I was the only one, so confused hmm:

14. profile image0

hmm:

15. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Earning money online can be a difficult subject to pick up.  By all means, start writing Hubs while you have a chance (Maternity Leave is ideal) and you never know you might earn enough.

With a baby things can be expensive though, so I would not quit your day job until you have neough income online to support you and your family!

No one can tell you if you can or cannot make money online.  You have to either take the risk of doing it full time, or do it in your freetime until your income expands!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)