Global Warming

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Oldskool903 profile image61
    Oldskool903posted 14 years ago

Is Global Warming a problem or just a scare? Should we be concerned?

1. kateperez profile image57
      kateperezposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a ill conceived concept without any geological data involving changing the Earth's axis.  Has anyone considered that the climate differences could be because the Earth is readjusting to a new rotation?

Didn't the scientists say that the Earth got knocked off its axis during the tsunami's and Earthquakes?

More to look at other than people talking so much and Latvian reindeer passing gas.

2. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
      Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

[]

Both- it's a problem and it's scary. Let's figure it out and do something if you may!

3. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on whether or not it can be profitable to address.  If it costs a lot of money then we should ignore it.  If we can make some money on it then it is not a problem.  Pretty simple when you put it in perspective isn't it?

I am joking of course.  The problem is the verifiable scientific data we need to understand it.  There are those on the right who explain it away as a cyclical event and those who claim it is mankind induced.

The bottom line in our capitalist society is whether or not it can be made profitable.

4. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should be concerned but I don't think there is much to be done about it. If it wasn't real then you wouldn't have world leaders meeting to discuss what to do about it. I think overpopulation has a lot to do with it but the major religions won't allow us to do anything about that problem so I suppose we are stuck.

5. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to be concerned for yourself.  if you have kids who are not gay and are not so ugly that no one will reproduce with them then maybe you should care.
      I don't think we need to worry to omuch about it in our lifetime for ourselves anyway.
      I figure my kids will probably deal with it and if they don't my grandkids might have to but--hey--they should be smart enough so I don't care.
      I'm always cold anyway so a couple more degrees is fine with me.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago
  3. athulnair profile image65
    athulnairposted 14 years ago

it is a serious issue and we should worry about it. the change in climate is very much visible in our life. so we must ensure our future generation can live here comfortably...

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

I think it is a very serious situation, whether all the facts are correct or not.  It makes absolute logical sense, and anytime that people are encourage to conserve and beware of their surroundings, is a good thing.

5. dyonder profile image73
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

I've had many concerns about the environment since I was a child. Since the 70's there have been many, many serious environmental disasters our species has been directly linked to.
    Responsibility.
    What amazes me is that so many latch onto the 'proof' of something they don't properly understand, and then compound this ignorance by expounding studies funded by companies who have the most to lose (profit wise) by having a nation, indeed the world, switch gears as far as how we handle our responsibilities.
    Check your sources, assume responsibility, and do what you personnally can to improve life. Don't fear, take action.

6. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

Exactly - take action - who cares what is causing it!  We just may be part of a solution for the better and conservation is what it is all about in my humble opinion.  There is too much of the 'everything is disposable' attitude.  In the 1800's for example, they saved mailing wrap and a piece of STRING for heavens sake to use later.  Everything was valued, everything was used and reused until it was gone.  We have so many people on this earth and if everyone just respected what we have and took CARE of what we had/each other - wouldn't it be a better place?  We can only hope....humbly...Audrey

1. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you make a good point.  With government subsidies going to the oil companies we have never really felt the full brunt of the energy expenses as those in Europe have.  As long as we have it easy and innexpensive we will continue to waste our resources until they are played out.  We are a consumer society after all.

7. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Lets take the side that it is in fact Real. The highest estimate of mans contribution to Global Warming is 6%.

How much of the 6% can be cut?  Will people stop heating their homes, stop driving cars?  Will industry stop producing products.

So what can man really do if it is in fact "real"?

Now lets take the other side... these are NOT commercial sites, no ads, just information.

Read and decide for yourself.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Carbo … imate.html

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/blog/2009 … -the-mojo/

Global Warming is more about imposing "Green Taxes" than anything.  The real problem is pollution and industry keeps right on polluting.

A Global Warming Agenda brings pollution into the public eye.  However the Governments Solution is "Carbon Taxes"... which don't actually solve anything they just increase the cost of doing business.

YOU MUST REMEMBER CAPITALISM IS BASED ON CONSUMPTION AND CORPORATIONS WHO DO NOT PRODUCE AND PEOPLE WHO DO NOT CONSUME DO NOT SPIN THE WHEELS OF CAPITALISM.

It's time to change the way we treat our planet for sure.  But taxes are not the solution.  A whole new economic system based on preservation, conservation, and management is in order.  And that is not going to happen under our current system of capitalism.

1. topshelf profile image61
      topshelfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100%

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I generally enjoy what you have to say, and agree to the most part of it. This post however would have benefited if you looked up the definition of capitalism in any dictionary first. Consumption has nothing to do with capitalism, and corporations are a product of government regulations, which are not exactly capitalism either. smile

8. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Capitalism is all about consumption.

Without Consumption, Capitalism can not exist.

Mr. Dictionary reader... please give me an example of a Capitalistic Economy that can survive without consumption.

Corporations exist to shelter income from taxes and to create a "shield" for liability purposes.

You spend too much time reading the dictionary, and too little time in a state of real critical thinking.

9. Bredavies profile image60
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I'm sick of everyone saying its "not real" its going on! I don't see how people don't think its a big deal!

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you doing about it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)